Changes at Pleasure Island won’t be finished until 2012

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Like for example....?
I don't remember the last time Disney ever "did what people want." Disney does what makes it money. Period. Regardless of the wishes of the people.

Sure they do. They are gonna put stuff there. Ask them what, and they'll tell you, "We're gonna put stuff there."
Like Bob Dole's economic plan. Journalists asked him to explain his plan and he responded, "I have a plan. It's a good plan."
:rolleyes:
Exactly....I just can not see where closing PI prematurely made or saved Disney any money hence what you, me and pretty much every one save for one person has been saying all along.....It should have remained open, at least in part, until something was ready to replace what they closed.

WDW Vacationer

Yea, just like all those WS pavilions that were announced back in the day.

Just like how they announced Test Track would open in 1997.

Just like that big display they had on Main Street for Western River.

You're right, Disney never fails to miss those deadlines!

*Fades back into the shadows.*

:lookaroun

Touché.:lookaroun
Welcome back! Good to see you! Even if you did make me look bad!:lol::wave::lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
Yea, just like all those WS pavilions that were announced back in the day.
Just like how they announced Test Track would open in 1997.
Just like that big display they had on Main Street for Western River.
You're right, Disney never fails to miss those deadlines!
*Fades back into the shadows.*
:lookaroun
He lives!

Anyhow....yeah. Just saying that in a report is meaningless. Just puts off having to deal with it. They can keep doing that for as long as they want. Like putting off Pop Century's other phase, etc.

EPCOT Explorer

"I wish our FL was better"got us the expansion

People saying SSE was old and stale got us a new SSE

Oh! I have a great one!

"Why isn't Disney doing anything fir EPCOT's 25th?!" got us an event,gallery and merchandise for the 25th.

I wish our FL was better....Maybe....

SSE...No, that was Seimens. I, and many others, I believe, were FINE with SSE94.:lookaroun:lol:

C25...Should have been more. That was a blunder, IMHO. It was great that we got a DAY, but that should have been a year.

jakeman

Wow, there is a ton of hyperbole on both sides in this thread already.

• The clubs were closed last year and only one restaurant has taken its place.
  • Disney is now reporting the area will be complete by 2012.
  • There is some demo work starting now.

Those are the only facts we have the moment.

Just thought I would point that out. Everything else is conjecture.

Please everyone back your regular schedule "Disney is awesome" vs. "Disney tramples baby sea turtles" arguments.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
"I wish our FL was better"got us the expansion

People saying SSE was old and stale got us a new SSE

Oh! I have a great one!

"Why isn't Disney doing anything fir EPCOT's 25th?!" got us an event,gallery and merchandise for the 25th.
TDO did not want to do the FL expansion. It was forced down their throats and I fully expect them to fight it kicking and screaming. Seimans got us the SSE redo and Disney saw huge dollar signs with C25. Us liking the results of those three things was a side effect and not the true motivation.

Mr.EPCOT

Yes, it's obvious the repurposing of PI is being budgeted over several years. Seems to me it IS part of the plan. For example, we know the BAH is going as planned. The only variable is when a budget will be approved to do it.

Could just be some kind of accountin thing I don't understand, but it seems to me that at a basic financial level it's better to have something open making money than to be closed and just sitting consuming resources and costing money. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Please everyone back your regular schedule "Disney is awesome" vs. "Disney tramples baby sea turtles" arguments.
Would the middle ground be "Disney is awesome at trampling baby sea turtles?":lol:

jt04

JT even you would have to admit that closing all of PI before having something to replace it was a bad decision. PI was not some 3 store strip mall in the middle of nowhere it was smack dab in the middle of a huge shopping and entertainment district in the most popular vacation destination of the world.

I don't buy into the popular myth that PI made money. Now if you only look at PI on it's own, yes it could probably be said it was profitable. But when you add in the problems and external costs of PI, my guess is it was a "break even" proposition at best.

Between the traffic it drove away at night and extra liability and security costs, closing it may have been the best choice.

And I'll tell you PI fans biggest fear. That the new configuration will be embraced by families and all of DTD will be packed as the marketplace always is. Trust me, it will work and work well if families are the primary audience.

EPCOT Explorer

:lol:

And, based on that, it seems they are without a concrete plan. There's no operational definition for what they want to do to the place.
TDO did not want to do the FL expansion. It was forced down their throats and I fully expect them to fight it kicking and screaming. Seimans got us the SSE redo and Disney saw huge dollar signs with C25. Us liking the results of those three things was a side effect and not the true motivation.
Exactly what I said. Just better. :lol::wave:

WDW Vacationer

I wish our FL was better....Maybe....

SSE...No, that was Seimens. I, and many others, I believe, were FINE with SSE94.:lookaroun:lol:

C25...Should have been more. That was a blunder, IMHO. It was great that we got a DAY, but that should have been a year.

And...you proved my point. Disney did something,you complain.

GymLeaderPhil

You know what would look even MORE stupid.

Saying the things in the plan will be done in 2012 and not doing anything. Which is why you can bet this will get done.
This is why this "expected" time frame is buried deep within the confines of a stuffy annual financial report and NOT paraded around every media outlet they own.

Because they don't want to take a creative risk in running the place themselves. They are hoping, especially with the change in management at Downtown Disney, that economic conditions improve so that every MSG-filled chain restaurant and cookie-cutter retailer will gladly fork over money into a location that is more of a hodgepodge than Little Miss Matched. Seriously - who in their right minds sees this as a move to widen Downtown Disney to a wider market?

"You know, it's really great that I can pick up magnets, cigars, multi-colored socks, a Harley Davidson, some McDonalds, and either some tequila shots/pint of Guinness after taking an exciting eight to ten minute balloon ride."

What a plan to widen the appeal!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe not necessarily, from the Disney viewpoint.
They could have decided to get out of the night club and drinking business right away and then redevelop that area over a period of time.

:)
Sure that is possible but why shut down a business that was at least breaking even only to leave empty buildings? Empty buildings in a shopping district are the kiss of death just like dead air on a radio station. People will only listen to silence for so long before they switch stations.

EPCOT Explorer

And...you proved my point. Disney did something,you complain.
Umm...No....Disney did wrong in those cases.

Here's the Dooming and Glooming, right? Where's the part where I have to mention that I loved what I saw with HoP, HM, and the rest of my Aug. Trip, and soon to be my Dec. Trip? :lol:

They don't kill sea turtles, jake. They need them for the new Nemo only area of DAK.

They kill fanboys' dreams.

:drevil:

Would that get the hated bratty Fish out of EPCOT?:):lookaroun

jakeman

Would the middle ground be "Disney is awesome at trampling baby sea turtles?":lol:
Exactly! I heard they were killing baby sea turtles with left over piece of LoW.

And, based on that, it seems they are without a concrete plan. There's no operational definition for what they want to do to the place.
No, based on that, it would be difficult to draw any sort of definitive conclusion at this point.

Based on your opinion and the way Disney has operated in the past you assume they have no concrete plan.

I'm not saying anything either way. There is not enough information right now.

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly! I heard they were killing baby sea turtles with left over piece of LoW.

No, based on that, it would be difficult to draw any sort of definitive conclusion at this point.

Based on your opinion and the way Disney has operated in the past you assume they have no concrete plan.

I'm not saying anything either way. There is not enough information right now.

With LoW, AND the Wand. Can't forget that.

I agree, though. Not enough info. But the fact that there ISN'T this info, especially at this point in time (over a year since PI went dark) certainly says something.

As I said before, it's fishy. I don't buy it, IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom