Changes at Pleasure Island won’t be finished until 2012

jt04

What? Huh? When? Where? Who? Whassat?

If true, I'll have reached maximum "Disney is stupid for cutting off Downtown Disney's Life Support" levels.

Umm, that was about two years ago. If you want to know where the end of PI started look no further than HoB.

And yes, I realize HoB is not officially part of PI. But it drew the attention of someone and started Disney's closer look at DTD in general. IMO.

DisneyCanadian

My guess is 2012 is a better estimate, however I think things will start coming to fruition in 2010. I don't expect this area to be built all in one day. I don't think anyone should expect Pleasure Island to be completed all in one go.

However, I will be optimistic and whatever the execs decide on putting there, I'm sure it will be great.

Have we ever been disappointed :)

71jason

It was not always a 9:00 opening. They reduced the hours because it did drive people away.

What is your source for saying security costs have not gone down? Please post a link.

As for making the island formally known as PI and all of DTD more accessible to families, I think you might want to make a quick stop at the new T-Rex or LMM or the balloon ride or Trend-D. The island formally known as PI has no new new tenants because I strongly suspect Disney never intended to keep those facilities (except 37). I can't prove it but time will. The new island will not drive families away.

The comedy clubs would open earlier, possibly the Jazz Co., because it served food. But 9:00 opening was the rule for the last decade at least, and again, very rarely crowded before 10.

As for security costs, as I stated in my post, I see the same number of security guards (uniformed and undercover), the same number of deputies, and the same number of patrol cars out front as before the clubs closed.

I was talking specifically about PI, not DTD as a whole. Tell me what is family-friendly about a Harley shop, a shrine to tequila, a cigar bar, and a noisy restaurant that serves $20 Shepard's Pie?

There is no plan other than convince 3rd parties to come in. Was the plan before, I hear whisperings it's still the plan now (management is convinced the economy was the problem, not the overall idea).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Who cares, what they produce will be santised mince for familys with the sub 8 year old kid demographic.

Perhaps theyl introduce multistory stroller parking.

jt04

The comedy clubs would open earlier, possibly the Jazz Co., because it served food. But 9:00 opening was the rule for the last decade at least, and again, very rarely crowded before 10.

As for security costs, as I stated in my post, I see the same number of security guards (uniformed and undercover), the same number of deputies, and the same number of patrol cars out front as before the clubs closed.

I was talking specifically about PI, not DTD as a whole. Tell me what is family-friendly about a Harley shop, a shrine to tequila, a cigar bar, and a noisy restaurant that serves $20 Shepard's Pie?

There is no plan other than convince 3rd parties to come in. Was the plan before, I hear whisperings it's still the plan now (management is convinced the economy was the problem, not the overall idea).

There is no PI. The treatment you see DTD receiving in general will be carried over to the island that used to be PI. If Disney was interested in clubs they would be reopening them not gutting them.

T-Rex and LMM have both opened right next to the island. I've seen families inside RR, the Harley shop and 37. They aren't for every family but I don't think they eliminate families as PI used to do. Again, you are judging things by what you want to see happen and not by what the reality is.

I sincerely believe they always intended to remove the vast majority of buildings on PI. Simply because they don't "translate" into anything but their original purpose. The economy has only slowed down what was intended all along. A more accessible overall experience that does not segregate the island or drive away any demographics. That is just smart business. Anyone will be able to enjoy the bold new DTD.

Christi22222

Please tell me you just said "bold new Downtown Disney" with your tongue in cheek. You are seriously -no joke!? - going to defend the same theory you've been peddling by saying that cigars, tequila, and Harleys are family friendly "enough" fare? I have no information that you are wrong about your ideas, but this really doesn't add to your credibility.

jt04

Please tell me you just said "bold new Downtown Disney" with your tongue in cheek. You are seriously -no joke!? - going to defend the same theory you've been peddling by saying that cigars, tequila, and Harleys are family friendly "enough" fare? I have no information that you are wrong about your ideas, but this really doesn't add to your credibility.

Not everyone who drives a Harley is in the Hell's Angels.

Not everyone believes cigar smoke equates to instant death. :rolleyes: (some of my best childhood memories are the smell of cigars at sporting events). Some people are out right paranoid.

I've seen families at 37. They don't shove funnels in people's mouth and pour in liquor. It's a restaurant that serves alcohol. Not a bar that serves food.

Thanks for all your hyperbole though. That is indicative of your side losing the debate. (I mean that in a "tongue in cheek" way) :p

worldfanatic

I don't care if it takes until 2015 to finish the job.
As long as the new PI avoids the pathetic local "wanna be" crowds and the dorky AC "punch line barker" types it attracted during its so called "Glory Days".

overdrive

All thats going to be put in PI is the same stuff thats in the west side and market place. It will look different and new but be more of the same. They don't care if its family friendly as long as the tennet is paying the bill. All originality and anything that is special about DTD left with PI a long time ago due to crappy management.

All DTD is now and will be in the futue is a strip mall (extremely overpriced) on disney property. Watching the video of PI in its hayday showed how amazing the place was and how much imagination went into it. With the closing of Pleasure Island they killed off any of the Disney magic that was left in DTD and thats what is the most disappointing.

Its a darn shame and DTD will never be as popular as it was, there will be no reason to go there. It doesn't matter what goes in you will be able to find it someplace off disney property cheaper. A way to bilk money out of tourist.

Christi22222

Not everyone who drives a Harley is in the Hell's Angels.

Not everyone believes cigar smoke equates to instant death. :rolleyes: (some of my best childhood memories are the smell of cigars at sporting events). Some people are out right paranoid.

I've seen families at 37. They don't shove funnels in people's mouth and pour in liquor. It's a restaurant that serves alcohol. Not a bar that serves food.

Thanks for all your hyperbole though. That is indicative of your side losing the debate. (I mean that in a "tongue in cheek" way) :p

You are very combative towards anyone who doesn't see things your way. And exactly whose "side" am I on that's "losing?" I was under the impression I was on a Disney fan board. I was not a visitor to Pleasure Island because I was generally too tired after the parks. I am also not "paranoid" and have actually happily visited the Harley store (not the other two). However, I think it is a generally valid point that while yes, a family certainly can go into those establishments and not have a terrifying experience, you would be hard pressed to find someone that would list them as ideal tenants to an area developed to the exclusive appeal of families.

jt04

All thats going to be put in PI is the same stuff thats in the west side and market place. It will look different and new but be more of the same. They don't care if its family friendly as long as the tennet is paying the bill. All originality and anything that is special about DTD left with PI a long time ago due to crappy management.

All DTD is now and will be in the futue is a strip mall (extremely overpriced) on disney property. Watching the video of PI in its hayday showed how amazing the place was and how much imagination went into it. With the closing of Pleasure Island they killed off any of the Disney magic that was left in DTD and thats what is the most disappointing.

Its a darn shame and DTD will never be as popular as it was, there will be no reason to go there. It doesn't matter what goes in you will be able to find it someplace off disney property cheaper. A way to bilk money out of tourist.

To me the only thing that fits this description is the McDonalds. And I can think of a way to make PI unique. Just repeat the Raglin scenario several times over and create a mini version of World Showcase. With countries or regions not represented at WS. So, Ireland was a good start. They should just build on that. IMO.

CaptainMichael

What is your source for saying security costs have not gone down? Please post a link.
Listen (not that you will) but he lives in Orlando and frequents PI often. If anyone would be able to give accurate, first-hand accounts, it's 71. He talks to security guards and is friends with the bartenders. Quit pretending you have the slightest semblance of a clue....because you don't. I've gotta hand it to you though, you are the ULTIMATE sunshine pumper.

There is no PI. The treatment you see DTD receiving in general will be carried over to the island that used to be PI. If Disney was interested in clubs they would be reopening them not gutting them.
Maps, signage, and advertisements suggest otherwise, but keep pumping that sunshine.

I don't care if it takes until 2015 to finish the job.
As long as the new PI avoids the pathetic local "wanna be" crowds and the dorky AC "punch line barker" types it attracted during its so called "Glory Days".
Is there nothing else on 40+ square acres of land to strike your fancy? Were you forced to go to PI every night? Some of us actually liked the place. There should be something for EVERYONE on property...especially us "dorks" and "wanna be's". Without us, there is no WDW.

:xmas:

jt04

You are very combative towards anyone who doesn't see things your way. And exactly whose "side" am I on that's "losing?" I was under the impression I was on a Disney fan board. I was not a visitor to Pleasure Island because I was generally too tired after the parks. I am also not "paranoid" and have actually happily visited the Harley store (not the other two). However, I think it is a generally valid point that while yes, a family certainly can go into those establishments and not have a terrifying experience, you would be hard pressed to find someone that would list them as ideal tenants to an area developed to the exclusive appeal of families.

Oh boy.

I said I was being "tongue n cheek".

I wasn't being combative and certainly did not call you paranoid. You just read it that way. :lookaroun

My only point is, is that those establishments can not reasonably be called exclusive.

jt04

Listen (not that you will) but he lives in Orlando and frequents PI often. If anyone would be able to give accurate, first-hand accounts, it's 71. He talks to security guards and is friends with the bartenders. Quit pretending you have the slightest semblance of a clue....because you don't. I've gotta hand it to you though, you are the ULTIMATE sunshine pumper.

I'm glad he enjoys DTD so much. It is a great place.

Maps, signage, and advertisements suggest otherwise, but keep pumping that sunshine.

So are you saying PI and the AC are just getting redecorated before reopening?

Is there nothing else on 40+ square acres of land to strike your fancy? Were you forced to go to PI every night? Some of us actually liked the place. There should be something for EVERYONE on property...especially us "dorks" and "wanna be's". Without us, there is no WDW.

:xmas:

Disney nor anyone else is required to be all to all. That is just not what Disney is in the business of. And the more they get back to Walt's principles the better they will do. IMO.

Mouse Detective

Security costs have not gone down since the clubs closed. Same number of security guards and O.C. deputies. And how much traffic could it have steered away when the clubs did not even open until 9:00? There were only two hours of overlap with the rest of DTD, and crowds rarely materialized in the last few years before 11:00.

This is completely true. Every Disney Security guard I used to chit chat with (except one who retired) is still out there. Still chat with them and they're just as clueless about what's going on as everyone else. And the same number of OCSO deputies. Security costs have not gone down yet the car burglaries still happen and now McDonalds had an armed robbery. People keep referring to all the thugs that used to hang around PI....which was untrue....but apparently they're still there breaking and entering and robbing!

There is no PI. If Disney was interested in clubs they would be reopening them not gutting them.

Well that's certainly true too. But that's the entire point of the PI discussions on here. Closing profitable clubs was a dumb idea. Closing them before contracts for replacements were signed was a dumber idea. Dragging this out another 3 years is beyond dumb. They could relatively inexpensively reopen a couple venues, keep the island lively, make a few bucks and then close them once someone is ready to replace them. But to think we're not going to see something new until 2011/2012 is absurd.

CaptainMichael

Disney nor anyone else is required to be all to all. That is just not what Disney is in the business of. And the more they get back to Walt's principles the better they will do. IMO.

1) It's about the people...it was always about the people. Amazing people frequented Pleasure Island, hence the affectionate title "regulars" that the castmembers gave us. However, it's much more pleasant to hang out in the AC and not outside at Laffer's.

2) I'm not saying that, but the name Pleasure Island doesn't look like it's going anywere. This conflicts with every sentence you type.

3) Walt would have LOVED the idea and workmanship behind PI. The story was WDI's best IMO.

Lee

Adventurer
...and the dorky AC "punch line barker" types it attracted during its so called "Glory Days".
Wait.....I think I'm offended.:lookaroun

*Sigh*...this whole debate is getting very tedious.

I'm just gonna sit over here and stick with my mantra:
"If it ain't the AC, it ain't worth building, operating or even existing."

jt04

1) It's about the people...it was always about the people. Amazing people frequented Pleasure Island, hence the affectionate title "regulars" that the castmembers gave us. However, it's much more pleasant to hang out in the AC and not outside at Laffer's.

2) I'm not saying that, but the name Pleasure Island doesn't look like it's going anywere. This conflicts with every sentence you type.

3) Walt would have LOVED the idea and workmanship behind PI. The story was WDI's best IMO.

And I think much of the story will survive elsewhere. Especially the AC/S.E.A. aspect. I personally believe it is a gold mine. But I'm not convinced that Walt would have approved of the PI concept at all.

And I will be shocked if the PI moniker remains. They can't just strip the buildings bare because they still want to have it look pleasing. But long term, I'd think it would get a new name. Certainly the backstories days are numbered. It's too limiting.

We will all know for sure soon enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom