Changes at Pleasure Island won’t be finished until 2012

SirGoofy

That the new configuration will be embraced by families and all of DTD will be packed as the marketplace always is. Trust me, it will work and work well if families are the primary audience.

I honestly hope this does happen.

I know, shocker, right?:lol:

It'd be good for the resort and the company.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't buy into the popular myth that PI made money. Now if you only look at PI on it's own, yes it could probably be said it was profitable. But when you add in the problems and external costs of PI, my guess is it was a "break even" proposition at best.

Between the traffic it drove away at night and extra liability and security costs, closing it may have been the best choice.

And I'll tell you PI fans biggest fear. That the new configuration will be embraced by families and all of DTD will be packed as the marketplace always is. Trust me, it will work and work well if families are the primary audience.
On the contrary I hope it is the most kick a$$ place ever. I just wish that we did not have to unnecessarily deal with blight until that time. Had the wrecking ball moved in on 9/28/2008 I would not even be having this conversation. Doing nothing is not progress no matter how you spin it.

jt04

With LoW, AND the Wand. Can't forget that.

I agree, though. Not enough info. But the fact that there ISN'T this info, especially at this point in time (over a year since PI went dark) certainly says something.

As I said before, it's fishy. I don't buy it, IMHO.

You also didn't "buy" that anything new was coming to the MK 6 months ago. But now look at you. Now that is fishy.

EPCOT Explorer

I honestly hope this does happen.

I know, shocker, right?:lol:

It'd be good for the resort and the company.
As do I. I want it to be fantastic. A testament to how great Disney is. Why not?
I guess I don't understand what there is not to buy?

They are saying it will be completed by 2012. That's pretty much it. That will either happen or it won't.
I want to see what's happening! :lol: Generic third party, or something new and well...to use their buzz word, bold.:lol: That's what this is hinging on.
The project is all but on hold.
Fantasmic.

EPCOT Explorer

You also didn't "buy" that anything new was coming to the MK 6 months ago. But now look at you. Now that is fishy.
:lol:

I actually remember saying that it didn't look hopeful, but I was mindful that things change (which they did!) and was optimistic, seeing that we had seen some sketchy plans of a Fantasyland that was not ours. I think I would know.:wave:
And hopefully being reimagined.

That'll be the day...!

lazyboy97o

Well...

It's this thing called the economy. It's in the toilet,in case you have not noticed. When this happens,people stop spending. So do companies.

Now they want to spend,and fix and people cry.
A down economy is a great time to spend as things can be had for less money. Demolition and rebuilding right away would have been a great plan (if there were third party vendors who wanted to take the space).

Yes, it's obvious the repurposing of PI is being budgeted over several years. Seems to me it IS part of the plan. For example, we know the BAH is going as planned. The only variable is when a budget will be approved to do it.
I don't buy into the popular myth that PI made money. Now if you only look at PI on it's own, yes it could probably be said it was profitable. But when you add in the problems and external costs of PI, my guess is it was a "break even" proposition at best.

Between the traffic it drove away at night and extra liability and security costs, closing it may have been the best choice.

And I'll tell you PI fans biggest fear. That the new configuration will be embraced by families and all of DTD will be packed as the marketplace always is. Trust me, it will work and work well if families are the primary audience.
A truly thought out master plan would have seen one of two closing scenarios. The first is a true phased closing that saw a club closed and replaced, then another. The second, assuming your point of break even (or even losses) is true, would have seen much quicker turn around. From a purely financial, landlord view dead space next to dead space is BAD. It drives down what prospective tenants are willing to pay. Either management expected a rush on the property or somebody seriously screwed up this by intentionally planning to spend less each fiscal year to convert the club space into retail space. Disney is now going to have to get even lower initial rents for the space that will now be available on Pleasure Island.

Coupled with the stalling of Flamingo Crossing, I think they believed there would be a rush on the property by prospective tenants.

Mouse Detective

Wow, there is a ton of hyperbole on both sides in this thread already.

• The clubs were closed last year and only one restaurant has taken its place.
  • Disney is now reporting the area will be complete by 2012.
  • There is some demo work starting now.

Well your first item is not true. The new restaurant did not replace any club. It went into a building that had been empty and unused for over 2 years. Not one single building that held a closed club has reopened as anything!

They're reporting that they expect it to be finished by 2012. That's 4 years to accomplish what they promised would take 2 years. That's an eternity in the retail/restaurant business.

Disney is full of leaks. Even the Orlando Sentinel reported ahead of time the majority of changes that were later announced for MK. The fact that not one single leak has occurred about new things coming to PI pretty much proves that no one knows what is coming......including those in charge!

Animaniac93-98

2012 is just a goal for the changes to be finished. Disney's doesn't have to actually admit any plans (as much as they should if they have them), they are just setting an easily changeable end date to make it look like they are doing something. 2012 could end up begin 2013 or 2014, or 2011 if business comes sooner, which I doubt it will.

Whether anything coming is worth seeing remains to be seen, but I still have no reason to go back to DTD and those empty buildings are not making any money as already pointed out.

Also, is there goal to make the place family friendly met by default of closing the clubs?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Here, have some popcorn.

party0052.gif

Can I have some?

The Cylons had a plan to and we see how well that worked out.:D

Frakin' right

Wasn't the original timeframe 2010? Color me unimpressed.

I hope HKDL guests appreciate what they are getting out of this debacle...

Amen!

jakeman

Well your first item is not true. The new restaurant did not replace any club. It went into a building that had been empty and unused for over 2 years. Not one single building that held a closed club has reopened as anything!
Good to see that we have officially split that hair.

You are correct, the restaurant took the place of shops, not one of the clubs.

They're reporting that they expect it to be finished by 2012. That's 4 years to accomplish what they promised would take 2 years. That's an eternity in the retail/restaurant business.
Where was it promised that everything would be completed by 2010? Legitimate question.

Disney is full of leaks. Even the Orlando Sentinel reported ahead of time the majority of changes that were later announced for MK. The fact that not one single leak has occurred about new things coming to PI pretty much proves that no one knows what is coming......including those in charge!
It doesn't really prove anything other than we don't have any information.

You can assume that it means they don't have a plan, but just because we haven't heard about it doesn't mean it doesn't exisit. It really could go either way.

EpcotServo

You know, come to think of it, I'd love to hire the Adventurer's Club players to attend and stage a 2012 doomsday party. Hilarity would ensue I'm sure.

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom