Changes at DTD

worldfanatic

To be honest, I enjoyed the Adventurer's Club. It was beyond corny, and not something I needed to visit very often, but it was fun & interesting.

My problem is the small number of rabid fans are acting like Disney is so evil or stupid for getting rid of it.
When clearly there are reasons AC and the other clubs are gone.

Did you people do your part to keep the clubs open?

My girlfriend (now wife) and I would always stay at PI until closing. We drank our off!
Believe me, if all guests spent like us, instead of closing, they'd have instead doubled the # of clubs on PI.
But we didn't seem to be the typical PI guest. It was full of Looky Loos and bar rookies. Not the type that equals alcohol sales.

Concerning AC, we went in there maybe 5 times, never seemed too busy. Certainly not the bars. Even when there were people in there, we never had to wait for a cocktail. Many guests weren't drinking. You'd see some couples buy a single drink and nurse it through the night. I'd comment that this might be the first time they'd ever been in a lounge. Nothing wrong with that, probably good solid citizens......... just not very profitable for the club. Especially considering all the performers they had to pay to entertain these nerds......... I mean (people). :lookaroun

Disney got it wrong with Pleasure Island. They missed their target market. It was time for them to cut their losses. They did.
Now they're forced to come up with a new plan. I'll patiently wait and see what comes of it.

Complaining about every little new addition to Downtown Disney may make some feel better. Saying your gonna "Pack up your toys, and never play again at DD" may seem like the right move. But it does absolutely no good.

There's no way Disney's happy with the present day PI.
But that doesn't mean they're gonna bring back the past. That plan already failed. (Although the AC Dinner Theatre idea is very interesting.)

Wait and see.

wdwfan100

To be honest, I enjoyed the Adventurer's Club. It was beyond corny, and not something I needed to visit very often, but it was fun & interesting.

My problem is the small number of rabid fans are acting like Disney is so evil or stupid for getting rid of it.
When clearly there are reasons AC and the other clubs are gone.

Did you people do your part to keep the clubs open?

My girlfriend (now wife) and I would always stay at PI until closing. We drank our off!
Believe me, if all guests spent like us, instead of closing, they'd have instead doubled the # of clubs on PI.
But we didn't seem to be the typical PI guest. It was full of Looky Loos and bar rookies. Not the type that equals alcohol sales.

Concerning AC, we went in there maybe 5 times, never seemed too busy. Certainly not the bars. Even when there were people in there, we never had to wait for a cocktail. Many guests weren't drinking. You'd see some couples buy a single drink and nurse it through the night. I'd comment that this might be the first time they'd ever been in a lounge. Nothing wrong with that, probably good solid citizens......... just not very profitable for the club. Especially considering all the performers they had to pay to entertain these nerds......... I mean (people). :lookaroun

Disney got it wrong with Pleasure Island. They missed their target market. It was time for them to cut their losses. They did.
Now they're forced to come up with a new plan. I'll patiently wait and see what comes of it.

Complaining about every little new addition to Downtown Disney may make some feel better. Saying your gonna "Pack up your toys, and never play again at DD" may seem like the right move. But it does absolutely no good.

There's no way Disney's happy with the present day PI.
But that doesn't mean they're gonna bring back the past. That plan already failed. (Although the AC Dinner Theatre idea is very interesting.)

Wait and see.

I loved the AC. If that makes me a rabid fan that's fine. I will miss it tremendously. That does not mean I will go and drive my car of the next cliff I see. It probably does put an end to my DTD travels though. I long for something more than restaurants and shops to fill my post park nights. PI was a smash hit at one time. Why do many of you call it a failed concept? It was a great concept that was poorly managed. The most alarming thing to me though is that the 3rd party sell off is a lazy way to turn a quick profit. It show that Disney is not in the imagination and creativity business anymore. For a company like Disney to use that as a default posture is quite alarming. When WDW is no more unique than the local mall or restaurant, it will loose it luster and just dim out. That is what the closing of the AC IMO is warning us of.

mickey2008.1

Back in the day that used to be the place to go for us adults who coul control our alcohol. It was great to walk the whole length of PI with a beer. And the party in the street at night with fireworks. Brings back good memories.:lol:

novanoto

Back in the day that used to be the place to go for us adults who coul control our alcohol. It was great to walk the whole length of PI with a beer. And the party in the street at night with fireworks. Brings back good memories.:lol:

i totally agree. some of my best memories of my trips to the world are from PI. back when they had the multiple stages open and people packed the streets. those were great times!!

Captain Chaos

I don't know if this is any indication on whether there's a master plan or how long it's been around, but there was an interview with Jason Surrell posted on Mouse Planet on June 5th that included this snippet (I've bolded the relevant part):

It seems to me that if the plans are now finalized, it happened very recently.

Didn't Jason Surrell write the script and help create Stitch's Supersonic Failure, I mean, Celebration??? Now he is going to work on Pleasure Island??? Now we know why Stitch shut down... he is taking over the Adventurers Club... New name??? Stitch's Supersonic Adventurers Club, complete with a dance floor... Now, you all can have your AC back, newly themed with a CGI Stitch dancing with the club goers...

Lee

Adventurer
The Adventurer's Club in Hong Kong will be a restaurant.
Which is exactly what they should do here.
I sort of agree.
Leave the Club as it is, and take over the BET facility and expand into it with a Adventurer's Restaurant.
Leave something Disney about Pleasure Island. I just hate to see it all turned over to non-Disney, third-party establishments. I can get that at home.

majortom1981

The Adventurer's Club in Hong Kong will be a restaurant.
Which is exactly what they should do here.

That would rock. Here in NYC there is a restaurant that is very Adventurers Club Like called Jekyll and Hyde club. If I remember correctly the guy who started it used to work at the adventurers club when it first opened.

So if an AC restaurant is anything like this it will be a huge success. Jekyll and Hyde Club has Hour Long waits a lot of the time to get in so imagine what it would be like in Disney.

Sometimes I think Disney lost its magic. If things are popular in other cities why not do something similiar inn DTD. AC would make a killing as a restaurant if you use Jekyll and Hyde club as an example.

AndrewRnR

The AC was not a failure. If it was, they wouldn't be building a new one and transporting all of things to a park that is desperate for success.

Because losing thousands of dollars a night is a success. Equity pay for all the performers ain't cheap especially when the club was mostly visited by non-paying cast members.

A dining show is a great idea but not for DTD. A dinner show makes it hard to turn the tables over which means higher prices. It seems with DTD they want more dining options (well mainly increase the number of available tables in relation to guests) and while a dinner show may be fun it only can do a fraction of the number of people your standard table service can do.

Lee

Adventurer
Because losing thousands of dollars a night is a success. Equity pay for all the performers ain't cheap especially when the club was mostly visited by non-paying cast members.
Yeah...only the AC wasn't losing money. It was making money. Not lots, but enough that it should be allowed to stay if for no other reason than to make guests happy and leave a little Disney magic in the area.
Nothing magical about a third-party restaurant/bar.

Sigh....once upon it was about more than money. It was about show.
(In case anybody forgot their Keys: Show trumps Efficiency.:mad:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom