Changes at DTD

NMBC1993

Get with it Disney, we want our Nightlife back! You know Adventuring, Laugter, Music, Dancing, Beverages, not what we can find at cheeper prices off I4!

Especially this time of year where all the parks except Epcot are closing before the sun goes down. With all the parks closed all there is to do is sit around the resort wishing there was some nightlife at Disney.

71jason

Actually, if you observe the photo that was posted on Save Pleasure Island, the three disticly different areas of Downtown Disney still exist

Agreed--I've heard nothing about the archways at PI coming down (granted haven't been in 2 weeks). This seems more like a ploy to hide the fact that PI and West Side have very little to do. If management could have 86ed the "Pleasure Island" name, they would have done so back in 2008.

boy oh boy look at the art quality!

It is very early 90s mall, isn't it? Premium Outlet would be embarassed by that map.

NMBC1993

I remember going to the clubs before they were closed and they were near empty and a good majority of the people in them were CMs so obviously guests dont want a nightlife at WDW....the bars at the resorts are ALWAYS filled and are fun too

I suppose it depends on the time of the year, as a local whenever I attended the clubs they had a large amount of people there. Sure there wasn't a huge line going from one side of the clubs to the other to get in but there were more guests in that area back then, then there has been in the last 2 years. Some are better then none:animwink:

mickey2008.1

I remember going to the clubs before they were closed and they were near empty and a good majority of the people in them were CMs so obviously guests dont want a nightlife at WDW....the bars at the resorts are ALWAYS filled and are fun too

I want a night life. Everytime we come down, there is nothing to do after 9pm unless you go to emh. And what bars at the resorts are packed at night? ive never seen one and would love to know where to go.

Scooter

I want a night life. Everytime we come down, there is nothing to do after 9pm unless you go to emh. And what bars at the resorts are packed at night? ive never seen one and would love to know where to go.

After walking multiple miles around Epcot's Future World, World Showcase, and Boardwalk for 12 hours, I don't NEED a night life...I need a foot rub, a shower, and a queen size bed.:snore:

Mouse Detective

I think they decided to drop the names because people were getting confused thinking the clubs were still open in that area.

The 3 names have not been dropped, at least as of yet. The map still refers to the 3 areas but in a very minor way. The new map has the shops and restaurants arranged by category instead of by the 3 named areas. That way it's a lot harder to notice that Pleasure Island has so little on it.

Not sure if anyone else said this or not since there are over 100 pages of comments. But, does anyone else believe that Disney closed these clubs at PI due to the local riff raff that would show up and cause problems or start fights?

Yes, that has been discussed many, many times in those 100+ pages. Most of us believe that is b.s.

NiarrNDisney

Here are a few night spots I frequent when I'm in WDW and yes they're usually packed or have a small crowd.

Boardwalk - Bell Vue Lounge, Big River Brewing Works, BlueZoo Lounge, ESPN Zone, &JellyRolls

DTD - House of Blues, Fuego, & Raglan Road

Resorts - Outer Rim (Cont) Rix Lounge & Laguna Bar (CSR), Scat Cats (POFQ), Tambu Lounge (Poly), Victoria Falls (AKL)

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Here are a few night spots I frequent when I'm in WDW and yes they're usually packed or have a small crowd.

Boardwalk - Bell Vue Lounge, Big River Brewing Works, BlueZoo Lounge, ESPN Zone, &JellyRolls

DTD - House of Blues, Fuego, & Raglan Road

Resorts - Outer Rim (Cont) Rix Lounge & Laguna Bar (CSR), Scat Cats (POFQ), Tambu Lounge (Poly), Victoria Falls (AKL)

with the exception of HOB on Sunday night, none of those offer dancing. I can get a drink anywhere, but I'm looking to dance, laugh, and have a good time.

Sadly I'm now forced to drive 15 miles to a club that's decent enough to patronize. And of course, it still doesn't come close to the awesomeness of Mannequins.

NMBC1993

Atlantic Dance hall...plus dancing is lame...you can laugh and have a great time at all of those bars....

Mannequins...oh dont even get me started on that club....they should of just came out and said it was PI's gay club instead of making people go in to find out....

I don't think you should put something off just because you don't like it, I'm sure there are a lot of people want to go dancing while on vacation. You can't deny that Mannequins was voted the #1 club in Orlando. But besides all that, I still can't find anywhere to go that was like the Adventurers Club, that's something you can't find anywhere else and a large number of people miss that experience.

overdrive

Atlantic Dance hall...plus dancing is lame...you can laugh and have a great time at all of those bars....

Mannequins...oh dont even get me started on that club....they should of just came out and said it was PI's gay club instead of making people go in to find out....

Soooooo everyone that went in and enjoyed Mannequins was gay, and dancing is lame. Your a real winner! There are Gay people in all the Disney clubs, parks and resorts. Should we now label each of those by which one has the highest amount of Gay people in them "Gay". So how does it feel to be a homophobe? Would you like to spout some racist epithets as well?

NiarrNDisney

with the exception of HOB on Sunday night, none of those offer dancing. I can get a drink anywhere, but I'm looking to dance, laugh, and have a good time.

Sadly I'm now forced to drive 15 miles to a club that's decent enough to patronize. And of course, it still doesn't come close to the awesomeness of Mannequins.

You can dance at Rix Lounge (CSR) and Atlantic Dance Hall (BWR).
I agree Mannequins was a fun club! :king:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Oh the Adventurers Club was amazing but all the other clubs were cookie cutter clubs...you had the gay club, the rap club, the pop club...i mean why spend 200% more on drinks at those clubs when i could go to ones back home that are better and cheaper....Jelly Rolls is like Howl at the Moon and Big Bang but because they have different singers and they have the bucket drink i will continue to go there over and over again....
The only night where Mannequins was heavily LGBT was Thursday. mannequins was NOT a cookie cutter club. That's the kind of attitude the executives had. It was voted best club in the southeast with a sound and light show unlike any other, not to mention the rotating floor!

edit: ADH is the cookie cutter club. It's like a bad wedding every night(I used to be a wedding DJ, I know!), trying to play to the older ppl wanting 70s/80s and then turning to hip hop the rest of the night.

The uniqueness of PI was something for everyone. Dance, oldies, rap, hip hop, classic rock, and comedy. All for once price, in the same location with free transportation to your hotel, in a safe and smoke free environment. I hate rap and I very much dislike most hip hop, so I never went in those 2 clubs. but I LOVE 70s/80s(thus citywalk gets my business on Thursdays) and techno is my thing, so that's what I go for. You might not like dancing, but there are a lot of ppl who do and those clubs were certainly not cookie cutter. The most unique were AC and Mannequins

Scooter

I, for one, have never been to PI at night. I was always too tired from walking around the parks all day. My wife and I are a rope drop couple so by evening we are way too tired to even think about going dancing/drinking/partying.

I learn so much from these boards just by all the posters imput.

I always wondered why they closed PI but the more info I read about the place, the more it becomes clear.

Local hoodlums on the weekends, transexual dancers, and gay bars during the week. (At least from what I've read Thursday nights for sure)

Now I'm not judging. This is all information I've gathered from reading these boards and your posts.

I'm sure the execs at Disney wanted to be sure that the Resort and park guests were having a safe and friendly environment in which to party and play and Disney decided this wasn't the case.

I'm guessing that it wasn't about how much money was being made in the clubs at all, but instead was about losing control over what types of people came onto their property to party and what affect it would have on Disney's bottom line in the long run.

So it looks like, once again, a few bad apples, pretty much destroyed PI for
all the people who behaved and went to PI for what it was intended, to have a few drinks, dance a little, and just have some entertainment and fun.

What a shame.

Wilt Dasney

Nothing i said was homophobic....have you been the to club? There are gay clubs and straight clubs...Manniquins just ended up being a gay club...nothing homophobic about that it would of just been nice if they were upfront about that since none of my friends or myself have fun at gay clubs...You need to grow up

But what were they supposed to be upfront about? You're right that Mannequins attracted a largely gay audience (at least on some nights), but it wasn't a gay club.

Saying Disney should have been upfront about gay customers choosing to visit a club in large numbers sounds like the complaint that Disney doesn't put up signs warning families about Gay Days. I don't see where they have any responsibility to tip straight patrons off that large groups of LGBT people are choosing to show up on their own. :shrug:

I think PI's real downfall was that Disney never updated it. It was very much stuck in the mid-90's. From the decor to the music being played, they just weren't up to date. Which is probably one reason AC remained so popular, it was themed in a way that it wouldn't have to change with the times. The last few years PI was open was just one big neon colored hot mess of a 90's party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom