Changes at DTD

Krack

I, for one, have never been to PI at night. I was always too tired from walking around the parks all day. My wife and I are a rope drop couple so by evening we are way too tired to even think about going dancing/drinking/partying.

I learn so much from these boards just by all the posters imput.

I always wondered why they closed PI but the more info I read about the place, the more it becomes clear.

Local hoodlums on the weekends, transexual dancers, and gay bars during the week. (At least from what I've read Thursday nights for sure)

Now I'm not judging. This is all information I've gathered from reading these boards and your posts.

I'm sure the execs at Disney wanted to be sure that the Resort and park guests were having a safe and friendly environment in which to party and play and Disney decided this wasn't the case.

I'm guessing that it wasn't about how much money was being made in the clubs at all, but instead was about losing control over what types of people came onto their property to party and what affect it would have on Disney's bottom line in the long run.

So it looks like, once again, a few bad apples, pretty much destroyed PI for
all the people who behaved and went to PI for what it was intended, to have a few drinks, dance a little, and just have some entertainment and fun.

What a shame.

With all due respect, it looks like you just read through the last handful of pages where the people who knew what actually happened stopped explaining it to the few who have no clue but like to make up reasons.

To summarize, Disney management killed Pleasure Island through a series of short-sighted business decisions, beginning with the decision to open the island to everyone for free. They thought they would get locals to come spend money, but what they got were teenagers getting dropped off by their parents using the island as a local shopping mall/babysitter. More than anything, this ruined the atmosphere - people wanting an "adult" place to go (kid free) while on their Disney vacation, lost a good portion of their reason for going. Plus, these teenagers (comparatively) spent less money because they don't buy alcohol. Simultaneously, management began cut-backs (as they had in other areas of the resort) like removing the nightly stage entertainment and New Year's Eve celebration; this removed more of what made the island a unique experience. Result = less customers. Finally, Disney management became proponents of a business model where outside third-party vendors would come in, lease commercial space, and provide the food and drink for the customers. Obviously, they felt it's easier (and maybe more profitable) to lease land than to have to run these eateries and bars themselves (including management responsibilities). Whether or not that was a sound long-term business plan (I would argue it was not), really didn't wind up mattering, because in the short-term it was a disaster. Disney closed their clubs without having lease agreements in place, the economy tanked, the few outside vendors who were interested pulled out, and Disney was left with a Pleasure Island ghost town ($0 profit) for the better part of the last two years with no end in sight.

In short, they got greedy, lost their focus, and blew it.

I'd suggest reading back through the thread and ignoring every post started by jt04. As memory serves, there's plenty of good information towards the middle about what actually went down.

Krack

Just out of curiosity why should we believe what you said? i mean you dismiss people without showing why you should be taken seriously....

I don't really care who or what you believe. I just didn't want Scooter to be misinformed (as he clearly was from his own stated conclusion about what killed Pleasure Island). I dismiss you because I read what you wrote and the conclusions you drew and know it to be inaccurate. People can decide for themselves what he chooses to believe - as I wrote earlier, there are plenty of people with solid information buried in the middle of the thread.

Duckberg

DTD GHOST Town

Lets bring in the cattle skull, broken wagon wheel, cactus & tumbleweeds for atmosphere! :ROFLOL:

Then they can hold nightly re-created shootouts between WDW Magic members who say they are in the know VS those in the new DTD Wanted Posters who are accused of not being in the know! :ROFLOL:

Duckberg :rolleyes:

overdrive

Huh i was with my ex...so no...plus the fact that we could not even talk is a big mood killer too....

You just lost all credibility with that comment. Anyone who has frequented clubs would know why. Lets recap your comments so far, Dancing is bad, gay people in clubs is bad, loud music in clubs is bad and drink prices are to expensive. Get real, you dislike every club in the US, you just have an ax to grind.......

Lee

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity why should we believe what you said? i mean you dismiss people without showing why you should be taken seriously....

You should believe him, because what he said is true.
All of this stuff was explained in great detail in this and other threads. The reasons , ignorant as they were, for closing PI have all been well documented here, and can be found with just a bit of reading. No point now in tossing around ideas about "what I think may have happened."

Mouse Detective

Because that synopsis of history is very accurate. If you're really interested, go read the Save Pleasure Island Blog from the beginning. But I suspect.....

You just lost all credibility with that comment. Anyone who has frequented clubs would know why. Lets recap your comments so far, Dancing is bad, gay people in clubs is bad, loud music in clubs is bad and drink prices are to expensive. Get real, you dislike every club in the US, you just have an ax to grind.......

I suspect that Mr. Towerbellman is a shill. He comes out of nowhere and in just a few days is up over 80 posts, most of them bashing Pleasure Island. I mean, if I hated baseball, I wouldn't go to a baseball game. If I hated dance music, I wouldn't go into dance clubs and then bash them because they are what they are. Geez. House of Blues should change their Sunday night music format because this guy doesn't like the music, yet the club is so packed it's next to impossible to move in the place? Shill.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Soooooo everyone that went in and enjoyed Mannequins was gay, and dancing is lame. Your a real winner! There are Gay people in all the Disney clubs, parks and resorts. Should we now label each of those by which one has the highest amount of Gay people in them "Gay". So how does it feel to be a homophobe? Would you like to spout some racist epithets as well?
Might as well. Hatred is hatred.
Of course not...but i could not even talk about the look on my ex's face when a whole group of us went there and she saw the transexual dancers....
Never heard of such a thing. Should the dancers have been refused entrance so as to not offend your ex's virgin eyes?
Nothing i said was homophobic....have you been the to club? There are gay clubs and straight clubs...Manniquins just ended up being a gay club...nothing homophobic about that it would of just been nice if they were upfront about that since none of my friends or myself have fun at gay clubs...You need to grow up
And then there are clubs that don't discriminate against anyone. I don't really see an issue here except with you.
Thats true...but also the fact that CMs get in for free and girls drink for free help too. I just cant stand house music...i am ashamed that my home city of Chicago was the birthplace of house music....lol

From my understanding...only closeted gay people hate house music. :lookaroun

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah if that is the best club in the southeast then i feel bad for anyone in the southeast....plus the bars i have been too in Downtown Orlando are 1000 better than it....maybe i am just spoiled because of where i live and where i used to live...

Paying a high cover fee to go to a bunch of cookie cutter clubs with overpriced drinks is nothing special...that is my point.

AC was the only unique club.

How can you call ADH a cookie cutter club yet Motion, BET, 8track, Manniquins is not?

Bars are fun because you have drinks, great people and a ton of opportunities to chat and just have fun...clubs like Manniquins where very bad music is just blared, where you have people who think they can dance ruining the dance floor, and where you have overpriced drinks and where you cant have a conversation is not fun...

It won best club in the southeast because the light and sound system were unparalleled. If you don't like that kind of music then don't go there, but outside the borders of the U.S. Techno/dance music is what is popular. I don't like hip hop so I don't go to the clubs that offer that, but I don't call the club crap because of it.

I said Mannequins and AC were not cookie cutter. I didn't say motion, BET, and 8-trax weren't. If you want a bar then GO TO A BAR! These were CLUBS! There is a difference.

ADH offers nothing unique and doesn't even keep one style of format. Mannequins was unique in both lighting, sound, and the rotating floor. I'm sorry but I have yet to see anything come anywhere close to what it offered FOR A CLUB environment. I know people who have partied in Prague, Ibiza, and several other international dance spots who came back saying nothing beats mannequins.

edit: and shame on you for judging other people's dancing. I used to be the kid who wouldn't dance because of people like you, staring at me with your judging eyes. Thankfully I got past it and entertained thousands of guests as a door host at 8-trax and continue that with Thriller performances whenever I hear it. People like you are the people who make say "fine, you think you can do better, bring it on"

edit 2: Please, please, I'm dying to know...what club have u been to that has a better light and sound system than mannequins?
And as far as "transexual dancers" you need to be educated. If a person is transgendered, you likely will not be able to tell. If people were dressed up in drag, that is a different thing entirely. There is a difference between people who feel they are the wrong gender and those who dress in drag for entertainment.

unkadug

Wow...i better tell the MILLIONS of people in the US that hate house music that they are all closeted gays because of some random person online....i guess your parents and my parents are all gay because they dont like house music...really are you really like this because i feel bad if you really are like this and you lack the intellect of even a high school graduate....

WHEN THEY ARE BEING PAID BY DISNEY they should be more considerate...or maybe during gay days disney should pay straight couples to make out because hey they have every right to do that...being considerate is a basic human trait.

There is nothing wrong with being equal...but dont pretend to be one thing and turn out to be something else....

Just grow up

You son of a ...where in the hell do you get off by telling me that I should grow up. I don't know who in the hell you are or who you think you are, but that kind of attitude won't cut it with with.

I may get banned for this post, but so will YOU.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Hmmm i have been to Europe and the clubs there are way better and they dont just play techno/house music.

Maybe the reason why PI closed was because it did not offer a wide variety for people...

didn't offer a wide variety? HELLO! Techno, 70s and 80s, TOp 40s, hip hop/rap, and classic rock!!! How is that not a wide variety???

Look at the worldwide top 100 and you will find techno/dance music. I don't know what club you were in over there, because everyone who has reported to me, as well as friends who are from europe, have all pointed to techno as mainstream music

unkadug

Damn...where are the tranny dancers? I'm ed
Hmmm i have the right because you have yet to write a mature post...you continue to go on about lies and you pretty much said that everyone who does not like House music is a closeted homosexual...so grow up.

I have not broken any rules...so continue to attack me i am following the rules.

Me not write a mature post? You better go back and reread all of your posts. Like I said, I may get banned but ________ YOU.

SeaCastle

That was directed to you Mr. "All people who hate house music are all closeted homosexuals" you are the most uneducated person i have ever met....i would not be surprised if you are a troll or a 10 year old pretending to be an adult.

You do realize unkadug's comment was sarcastic, right?

Mouse Detective

Attention everyone, before Mom comes back and closes out this thread again. Everyone please just ignore Towerbellman. If he inputs any other entries, ignore it and do not respond to it. Maybe he'll go back to where he came from. He's clearly a shill and is here and on one of the other threads only to stir things up.

NMBC1993

Hmmm i have been to Europe and the clubs there are way better and they dont just play techno/house music.

Maybe the reason why PI closed was because it did not offer a wide variety for people...

As posted before there was so much verity in the clubs that there was always something for everyone. But aside from that I think that we all just need to all agree to disagree. Me personally I loved PI, not just for AC but for all that it offered. Two months ago would have been my 3rd year of having a PI annual pass if they were still opened. But maybe going to clubs isn't everyone's thing. Maybe some people just like to sit quietly in bars and not be around loud people or noises, I have a few friends who are just like that. I think everyone just to state their opinion and not try to suggest others don't know any better because they liked or disliked PI. Although I will say this, PI closed two years ago and ever since then I have not found any night life to replace PI, bars and Jelly Rolls just doesn't cut it.

I'll get off my soapbox now....

overdrive

I was looking at the pictures of the refurbished bridge on Save PI blog. They installed new light poles in the middle of the bridge, why would you install new light poles in the middle of a bridge if your planning on rolling heavy equipment across it along with tons of demolition debree? Rumor was it was being redone for this purpose and demo of the buildings was to begin in October? There are also some pics of what look's like new equipment sitting in Motion on pallets. Doesn't add up?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom