Changes at DTD

jt04

JT,their business models are different,but not if they felt they were promoting a competitor.

I suggested two possibilities. First, Disney has not seen Legolands as a threat in California or potentially in Florida or Europe for that matter. But that now may change because a Legoland 30 miles from the MK is a threat.

Second, Disney may have been hoping to incorporate Lego in one of it's parks or on a larger scale in it's DTD's. I'm sure Disney notices to this day the buzz the WDW DTD lego sea serpeant creates with visitors. That ain't happening now IMO.

Ultimately I believe the announcement of the possibility of a Legoland going to Cypress Gardens is a game changer. Big time. But the consequences will take months or years to sort themselves out. Meanwhile we get to watch the show. :)

So, on with the show..........

jt04

Do we even know if a Legoland go in?

Everyone is assuming it will be a Legoland because that is what has been rumored. It's really the perfect idea for that space.

There is supposed to be a press conference Thursday and we should hear exactly what is happening.

WDW Vacationer

Everyone is assuming it will be a Legoland because that is what has been rumored. It's really the perfect idea for that space.

There is supposed to be a press conference Thursday and we should hear exactly what is happening.

Well then let's wait until Thursday before we start saying a store will leave.:wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes, Legoland (Blackstone) is going after Disney's market audience. I couldn't have been clearer in making this point. 74 agreed with me.

I realize many in Europe are no longer schooled in the art of capitilism but surely it can't be this bad.

Let competition commence! :D

Well to be honest its a real test to work out who post the most Ertha Kitt.

However.

I can find no achieved articles about Lego in the Sentinal or anywhere for that matter.
I can find no articles saying there will be any form of Universal ?Sea World super corp, the only direct quotes say the exact opposite.
No comments outside fan boys about Marvel
etc etc.

I understand how capitalism works fine, but it does tend to operate beyond dream land. And like all of your posts this post is just my opinion, though I unlike you have taken time to see if there are any facts in the public domain.
Though any one with any experience of Legoland will tell you I cant see their arrival in Florida (if it ever were to happen) causing a ripple. They have had a minimal impact of Thorpe park in the UK and they are closer than Universl/WDW.

jt04

Well to be honest its a real test to work out who post the most Ertha Kitt.

However.

I can find no achieved articles about Lego in the Sentinal or anywhere for that matter.
I can find no articles saying there will be any form of Universal ?Sea World super corp, the only direct quotes say the exact opposite.
No comments outside fan boys about Marvel
etc etc.

I understand how capitalism works fine, but it does tend to operate beyond dream land. And like all of your posts this post is just my opinion, though I unlike you have taken time to see if there are any facts in the public domain.
Though any one with any experience of Legoland will tell you I cant see their arrival in Florida (if it ever were to happen) causing a ripple. They have had a minimal impact of Thorpe park in the UK and they are closer than Universl/WDW.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/bu...rlin-entertainments-buys-cypress-gardens.html

Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Sea World's Aquatica and Discovery Cove, and now Cypress Gardens probably featuring Legoland are all part of one big happy family now.

The Lego corporation is not part of it yet. But it will be in both Disney's and Blackstone's (Merlin) interest to see the Lego store relocated IMO. And also for Marvel's properties to be relocated. IMO.

I can't wait for that news conference where I'm sure they will be asked why they think they can suceed at Cypress Gardens. I have a good idea of how they can and will. Waiting patiently.....:)

Figment1986

Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Sea World's Aquatica and Discovery Cove, and now Cypress Gardens probably featuring Legoland are all part of one big happy family now.

I can't wait for that news conference where I'm sure they will be asked why they think they can suceed at Cypress Gardens. I have a good idea of how they can and will. Waiting patiently.....:)

They are not one big happy family, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment (SWPE) and Merlin as seperate companies who happen to be owned by Blackstone, they most likely have different investors backing the different properties as well. While I can see them coming up with a concept to join under a marketing / ticket deal... maybe even add cypress gardens to the I-4 bus deal, still they are not one happy family. (despite it being ironic anheuser busch owned cypress gardens in early 90s and through a family tree they are owned by same company once again)

I cannot wait for the releases and stuff either, I'm curious to what Merlin will announce for the site... but I still doubt if legoland is build there it will have a huge impact on Disney, other than have a impact on locals for the time being. Which is why I doubt the Lego Store would close down... maybe downsize a little but not leave all together. They have a location in anaheim while they also have a legoland not far.

jt04

They are not one big happy family, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment (SWPE) and Merlin as seperate companies who happen to be owned by Blackstone, they most likely have different investors backing the different properties as well. While I can see them coming up with a concept to join under a marketing / ticket deal... maybe even add cypress gardens to the I-4 bus deal, still they are not one happy family. (despite it being ironic anheuser busch owned cypress gardens in early 90s and through a family tree they are owned by same company once again)

I cannot wait for the releases and stuff either, I'm curious to what Merlin will announce for the site... but I still doubt if legoland is build there it will have a huge impact on Disney, other than have a impact on locals for the time being. Which is why I doubt the Lego Store would close down... maybe downsize a little but not leave all together. They have a location in anaheim while they also have a legoland not far.

See post #880 in this thread for my thoughts on that.

They are all under the Blackstone umbrella. One big happy family. :)

Mouse Detective

I can find no achieved articles about Lego in the Sentinel or anywhere for that matter.

My entry last night indicated that the Orlando Sentinel had previously reported on this a few months ago. I stand corrected. The article I read was in the Save Pleasure Island blog with the entry dated 7/1/09. It refers to an article on the website of Orlando television station WESH, channel 2. WESH was reporting that the Legoland people were negotiating for the Splendid China site but that fell through but that they were still looking. That was last summer.

Pumbas Nakasak

Read the Blackstone comments they certinly dont see it that way. But Im sure theyll take on board your comments.

As for harmonising things, theyve been selling the Orlando flex ticket here since 93.

AndrewRnR

Again, like others are saying no they aren't. Not to sound all important (because I'm not) but I know a few higher up people at a few Sea World Entertainment parks and at Universal from when I used to work there and they have told me several times they are operated completely separately and don't see that changing.

Anyways the argument is a silly one for us to argue since Merlin will be going public and therefore be it's own company in the near, near future.

From what I've researched so far it looks like Blackstone is all about going into ventures that will make them lots of money. They don't seem to care about actually owning anything, just so long as what they're invested in is making money. They seem to make tons just by being third party advisors for buyouts and acting as minority shareholders who give financial backing and have some say in what goes on. Seems in their best interest to keep all the parks and what not seperate so if they start losing money somewhere they can rather easily sell it off rather than trying to turn it around.
I can see them taking the "if it brings more people to FL it's a good thing" stance. If legoland can't make money just like Cypress Gardens then I would expect a them to start looking for a buyer. They don't have a history of losing money.

jt04

From what I've researched so far it looks like Blackstone is all about going into ventures that will make them lots of money. They don't seem to care about actually owning anything, just so long as what they're invested in is making money. They seem to make tons just by being third party advisors for buyouts and acting as minority shareholders who give financial backing and have some say in what goes on. Seems in their best interest to keep all the parks and what not seperate so if they start losing money somewhere they can rather easily sell it off rather than trying to turn it around.
I can see them taking the "if it brings more people to FL it's a good thing" stance. If legoland can't make money just like Cypress Gardens then I would expect a them to start looking for a buyer. They don't have a history of losing money.

So are you saying that they are investing in just about every non-Disney tourist enterprise in Central Florida is pure coincidence?

C'mon folks. :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Oh FFS Jt, just cause you hear a voice in your head saying super group doesnt make it real. They are buying the top business available, If you ever had to deal with venture capitalists youd realise they don’t give a about things your passionate about they only want the return on their investment

jt04

Oh FFS Jt, just cause you hear a voice in your head saying super group doesnt make it real. They are buying the top business available, If you ever had to deal with venture capitalists youd realise they don’t give a about things your passionate about they only want the return on their investment

6 months ago everyone was saying that TWWoHP would give Disney fits. I got pillaged for having my doubts. Now I am on board because of the prescence of Blackstone and it's bullish view of central Florida tourism, and I still get flamed.

:veryconfu

Pumbas Nakasak

6 months ago everyone was saying that TWWoHP would give Disney fits. I got pillaged for having my doubts. Now I am on board because of the prescence of Blackstone and it's bullish view of central Florida tourism, and I still get flamed.

Its not about flaming, its about ignoring direct named source quotes who have said on several occasions recently that they intend to run the companies in a certain way, yet you insist on posting dreams.

I would love on this occasion for you to be correct, because it might put the wind up the local rodent, but you cant ignore the comments or their previous operating methods.

So are you saying that they are investing in just about every non-Disney tourist enterprise in Central Florida is pure coincidence?

C'mon folks. :lol:

I'm sure that FL is a great place too make money and will always be that. In addition the crumbling economy down there may have helped them by providing some extra benefits from the state to keep something open and attract jobs back down that way, thereby helping the economy(that's purely a guess but I wouldn't be surprised). I don't think that Blackstone is looking to buy out Disney or force them out of business.

Also, if Cypress Gardens didn't make it who says Legoland will be any different?

Brian Noble

They are buying the top business available
I'd amend this to say they are buying the best "values" available---not necessarily the best businesses, but the ones with purchase prices that make them most attractive for a quick upside. Given the overall dampening of the tourism market, plus the lack of obvious bidding competitors (Six Flags is in bankruptcy; Cedar Fair is going private under a different PE firm; Universal, Busch, and Paramount are leaving/have left the business) these purchases make a lot of sense from the value perspective.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

I wouldnt use the word everyone, I certainly wasn't saying that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom