Changes at DTD

CaptainMichael

Care to explain your reasoning? :shrug:

Because in my opinion, there is no way on God's green earth that Disney allows a Lego store to remain on property which will remind people of a Legoland just 30 miles down the road. No way. Disney severs relationships all the time, retail and otherwise. I'm not claiming anything that hasn't happened many times already.
You said the exact same thing about Marvel at Universal promoting a "Disney" product at Universal. The thing is, Joe the Bumpkin doesn't think that way or know. Legoland is a place, Lego's are a product. DTD needs all the stores it can get.

The LAST thing Disney wants is more empty buildings down there.

LegoLand and Disney don't really compete on a high level. LegoLand is great,but not a Disney style park,more of a Six Flags park.

EXACTLY.

Perfect post.
Bingo was his name-o!

jt04

Let me try to give my take on some good points being made.

"Disney needs all the stores it can get at DTD"--- True, but I think Disney would rather have stores that sell Disney merchandise. Not only would the Lego store serve as a giant billboard for Legoland, it also competes against the Disney Store and any eventual Marvel store, Muppets Store and/or Pixar store. Everyone is just assuming Disney wants third parties. I see other motivations at work here.

"There is a Lego store at DTD in Anaheim"--- WDW and DL's demographics and business model are apples/oranges as we are reminded ad nauseum by some on this forum. WDW's number one priority is to keep guests on property. Reminders of other options off property have never been allowed in such an obvious way.

Marvel vs IoA vs WDW vs Universal Studio vs DTD--- Well we could twist into pretzels trying to figure out how this will unfold.

But here is how I think it will unfold. Disney could open a Marvel store in DTD in the short term but I don't think they will because that will remind people of , and drive people to, IoA. However, as the Marvel brand becomes more and more associated with the mouse, it is Universal that will feel the pressure not to have their guests be reminded of a Disney ownrd brand. I think Universal will "tap out" first. And Marvel will be removed for Transformers or who knows, maybe Avatar-Land or something else.

Blackstone and Merlin threw down a challange to the Disney central Florida empire yesterday. Make no mistake about it. They are in to compete as an equal. And Disney will respond.

And we win. :sohappy:

WDW Vacationer

JT,how many average tourists know there is a Marvel area at IoA?

How many will even know Disney owns Marvel for a while?

I actually think IoA- Marvel Area is good for Disney/Marvel because it reminds people of the Marvel brand,which,although tourists may not know,is owned by the mouse.

jt04

JT,how many average tourists know there is a Marvel area at IoA?

How many will even know Disney owns Marvel for a while?

I actually think IoA- Marvel Area is good for Disney/Marvel because it reminds people of the Marvel brand,which,although tourists may not know,is owned by the mouse.

If there isn't colusion between Disney and Universal/Sea World/Merlin/Blackstone/Legoland then they are competitors. To give a sports analogy, it would be like one football team purposely fumbling the ball to the other team because that team has fans too. Someone has to lose and someone has to win so what does it matter?

Universal and it's owners wants to win against Disney. And Disney wants to win against Universal and it's owners. That is why.

jt04

And meanwhile, Disney and Lego have a new Toy Story line coming out, and a story on the Disney Parks Blog.:rolleyes::ROFLOL:

I'm just guessing but I imagine those were decided on before....um...yesterday :ROFLOL:

I still think Disney could license to Lego but that is likely to be the extent of it in the future. Just like I don't think you will be seeing Potter merchandise on WDW property in the future. Just a wild guess though. :lookaroun

SirGoofy

I'm just guessing but I imagine those were decided on before....um...yesterday :ROFLOL:

No, jt. Not really. Legoland has been right near Disneyland for the past 10 years. You didn't see Disney getting all worked up over that. Nor will you see them give 2 carps about this. Wanna know why? Because they're both making money off the partnership.

EPCOT Explorer

Yea, the Toy Story line looks really cool.

I think jt's just making much ado about nothing. Like always.
Yep!

And I will SO be buying a few sets. :D
If Disney is smart, it never will. Let Marvel stand alone. Don't scare off the Marvel fans.

Imagine that. Now I'll be reminded of other options when I play with my Legos.:rolleyes:
:lol: They are ruined for me, too. Gotta clear off the shelfs. :lol:

I still think Disney could license to Lego but that is likely to be the extent of it in the future. Just like I don't think you will be seeing Potter merchandise on WDW property in the future. Just a wild guess though. :lookaroun

Indeed they were, jt! With contracts, too!

Imagine that!

jt04

No, jt. Not really. Legoland has been right near Disneyland for the past 10 years. You didn't see Disney getting all worked up over that. Nor will you see them give 2 carps about this. Wanna know why? Because they're both making money off the partnership.

Back up a few posts I already explained that.

Disney could make money selling Potterverse merchandise at DTD too. But that ain't happening. Obviously.

EPCOT Explorer

There are conditions in all contracts. The mouse learned that lesson many moons ago. Just ask the fine folks at House of Blues.

Yes, they'll be backing out of the popular Toy Line, instantly, seeing that that line has already been in production and highly anticipated for quite a few years.

Jump on any Lego Board. :lol: I used to spend a good amount of my time over on a few.

SirGoofy

Back up a few posts I already explained that.

In the post where you said "I think Disney wants stores at DTD that sell Disney products." I stopped reading after that because I figured it was written by someone who has no idea what they're talking about. DTD isn't supposed to be a Disney-only shopping mall. It's supposed to be an exciting place to shop.

I don't see more Disney merchandise as "Bold and New" as someone always likes to parrot over and over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom