Changes at DTD

EPCOT Explorer

It's not for PI since PI is no more. I would think it is for what is replacing PI. At least that is the way it appears.....IMO.

Thank you. :)
If looking at it THAT way, than yeah, sure, sounds great!... exciting, even. We will see.

But seeing that it's still standing among buildings that WERE PI....Depressing.

You are more than welcome, jt!:wave:

jt04

If looking at it THAT way, than yeah, sure, sounds great!... exciting, even. We will see.

If they can refurb the buildings as they did the newest restaurant then I think it would work. Otherwise they need to cue the bulldozers. They have quite a lot of space to work with.

The old Motions building is really useless and screws up traffic flow....IMO

And I want to thank you for thanking me.

CaptainMichael

They better not put a comment about progress from Walt in front of the Adventurers Club. :fork:

71jason

It's not for PI since PI is no more.

PI is still there--giant neon sign, two entrance signs both say it. The name "Pleasure Island" isn't going anywhere, reportedly for legal reasons. Just more evidence of WDW's short-sightedness, not realizing what huge problems even a relatively simple change can bring.

In context, the Walt quotes really do seem like a dig at the PI (and especially AdvClub) loyalists who still frequent the area. At least two others said the same thing without any prompting from me.

The idea of a "wrap-around" patio reinforces that the Beach Club and Motion's days are numbered. Won't be enough space for it otherwise. I guess this means the new lighthouse fast food outpost will be down more eastward.

EPCOT Explorer

In context, the Walt quotes really do seem like a dig at the PI (and especially AdvClub) loyalists who still frequent the area. At least two others said the same thing without any prompting from me.

Doesn't it?!

Kind of reminds me of the "Watch this SPACE" banner on Horizons as they tore it down.:rolleyes:

CaptainMichael

Doesn't it?!

Kind of reminds me of the "Watch this SPACE" banner on Horizons as they tore it down.:rolleyes:

Nah, that was just a play on words of the new attraction that was coming. Imagine them tearing down CoP and have a quote from Walt about progress on the wall outside:dazzle: It's not like they said: Watch this SPACE as we soar to newer, better Horizons:lookaroun

Adventurers Club loyalists are generally the "it getters" that are likely big fans of Walt Disney and everything he stood for: quality entertainment that could be enjoyed by all, show before efficiency, a great story, and a unique concept. Many of us actually work for the company and do our best to continue Walt's work (in spite of current management). So, in my opinion, these quotes are certainly a huge slap in the face to us. Keep on rubbing that salt in the wound TDO...

jt04

PI is still there--giant neon sign, two entrance signs both say it. The name "Pleasure Island" isn't going anywhere, reportedly for legal reasons. Just more evidence of WDW's short-sightedness, not realizing what huge problems even a relatively simple change can bring.

The idea of a "wrap-around" patio reinforces that the Beach Club and Motion's days are numbered. Won't be enough space for it otherwise. I guess this means the new lighthouse fast food outpost will be down more eastward.

Legal reasons? Could you explain? :veryconfu
Walt quotes a dig at PI? Could you explain? :veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu

As for the lighthouse, it could be it will be on a "point" out in the lake. When I heard about it I pictured it built out from the bend in the island between BC and Motion. It would be more visible by placing out in the lake. Of course it could be they have something totally else in mind or the lighthouse rumor is just a rumor.

TP2000

Meh. I actually thought I would like it, too, like the DCA walls. :lol:

The DCA Walls look great (for walls), but I actually spent several hours in that park on Sunday and let me tell you that they have so many walls up and so many narrow walled-in walkways that it was like being a lab rat in a find-the-cheese experiment! :lol:

Darkbeer, as always, is doing a great job of documenting the wall mania.

The view from inside the maze
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Resort-112209/10408873_e7nhq#721416657_yzBSt-A-LB

The view from outside the maze
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Resort-112209/10408873_e7nhq#721436195_ebQNB-A-LB

At least there is more room around the PI area walls, and guests aren't trying to find their way to the next ride.

CaptainMichael

Legal reasons? Could you explain? :veryconfu
Walt quotes a dig at PI? Could you explain? :veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu

As for the lighthouse, it could be it will be on a "point" out in the lake. When I heard about it I pictured it built out from the bend in the island between BC and Motion. It would be more visible by placing out in the lake. Of course it could be they have something totally else in mind or the lighthouse rumor is just a rumor.

Contracts that Disney has with Paradisio, Sosa, AMC, Harley, and Ragland may require that it remain "Pleasure Island". Just a thought, I don't really know.

As for the digs a PI/AdvClub fans, I've already explained it, but it should be clear. Those execs think they are sooooooooo clever....:rolleyes:

WDW1974

The DCA Walls look great (for walls), but I actually spent several hours in that park on Sunday and let me tell you that they have so many walls up and so many narrow walled-in walkways that it was like being a lab rat in a find-the-cheese experiment! :lol:

Darkbeer, as always, is doing a great job of documenting the wall mania.

The view from inside the maze
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Resort-112209/10408873_e7nhq#721416657_yzBSt-A-LB

The view from outside the maze
http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks/Disneyland-Resort-112209/10408873_e7nhq#721436195_ebQNB-A-LB

At least there is more room around the PI area walls, and guests aren't trying to find their way to the next ride.

I wonder what DCA will be like this week with the holiday crowds and all those walls. It wasn't fun in September and the park wasn't overly busy on either day I was there.

But at least the walls signify really good things on the way.

There's a big difference between CONstruction walls and DEstruction walls.

WDW1974

Contracts that Disney has with Paradisio, Sosa, AMC, Harley, and Ragland may require that it remain "Pleasure Island". Just a thought, I don't really know.

I haven't seen said contracts, but knowing Disney and that type of business I can say with 99.999% certainty that it isn't the case.

Disney still has PI signage up because 1). it is costly to remove; 2.) they are lazy and don't care about confusing guests; and 3.) they didn't expect the area to be dead, they thought third parties would be banging down their doors.

I do find it amusing as PI doesn't exist anymore, yet it does.

Mouse Detective

Disney still has PI signage up because 1). it is costly to remove; 2.) they are lazy and don't care about confusing guests; and 3.) they didn't expect the area to be dead, they thought third parties would be banging down their doors.

Didn't Disney spend a lot of money last year refurbishing that big Pleasure Island sign on top of the tall building? And that was after the clubs were closed. Also, I think AMC Pleasure Island 24 would be kind of miffed if there was no Pleasure Island.

Pleasure Island is still there.....there's just no pleasure on the island.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Didn't Disney spend a lot of money last year refurbishing that big Pleasure Island sign on top of the tall building? And that was after the clubs were closed. Also, I think AMC Pleasure Island 24 would be kind of miffed if there was no Pleasure Island.

Pleasure Island is still there.....there's just no pleasure on the island.
no. A circuit board burnt out and they replaced it. That's it. I have a source with direct knowledge of that situation.

I don't understand why they were so quick to take down the Motion sign, while leaving the Mannequins one. Why paint over 8-trax but leave up the back side of Comedy Warehouse sign? It doesn't make any sense. Either get rid of it or keep it! Stop screwing with us!

Imagine if they would have actually had signed contracts before they made this stupid decision. At least if they had that, there wouldn't be this insanely dead area with empty buildings. It's obvious things haven't gone as planned. They never planned on renting out Motion, BET, and AC, but they did because things fell through. I am convinced of that. I'm also convinced there were other ways they could have modified PI to still work within the confines of the DTD area. I think PI was ultimately subject to the problem that west side created. Funny how the knee-jerk reaction to the copy cat city walk(west side) results in the closure of the original.

JT before u jump on me, I think people are miss-understanding your position. You state that there could be a better area for PI and you're not against nightlife on property. Unfortunately PI suffered a bad fate because of bad decisions made in the late 90s. If they had announced or even started building a night life district in another location, I think there would be a lot less anger from the fans. They could have taken lights right out of mannequins and put it into a new mannequins and the same with the other clubs. The clubs provided us a place to go where we could feel safe, be in a smoke free environment, and have fun dancing without even having to drive back to the hotel. Disney is missing the boat by not offering that anymore on property.

EPCOT Explorer

Nah, that was just a play on words of the new attraction that was coming. Imagine them tearing down CoP and have a quote from Walt about progress on the wall outside:dazzle: It's not like they said: Watch this SPACE as we soar to newer, better Horizons:lookaroun

Adventurers Club loyalists are generally the "it getters" that are likely big fans of Walt Disney and everything he stood for: quality entertainment that could be enjoyed by all, show before efficiency, a great story, and a unique concept. Many of us actually work for the company and do our best to continue Walt's work (in spite of current management). So, in my opinion, these quotes are certainly a huge slap in the face to us. Keep on rubbing that salt in the wound TDO...
Ah, I see, and I agree.

Yeah, tell that to the road signs. :lol::brick:

71jason

I haven't seen said contracts, but knowing Disney and that type of business I can say with 99.999% certainty that it isn't the case.

I certainly don't disagree with your points (cost and laziness seem to drive most of the decisions at WDW lately), but I don't care how good a contract is, or how much influence you have over the local courts--businesses that have spent years (in the case of AMC, over a decade now?) advertising their location as "Pleasure Island" are going to have a solid argument for "changed circumstances" as soon as PI officially closes. There's probably also some trademark concerns--it would take years for that to be an issue, but I don't see them creating a new "PI" for years, either. Not saying Disney lawyers wouldn't ultimately win either of these fights--but it's cheaper to do nothing and not have to worry about it.

I also agree it's an issue of semantics--PI may technically still be on the map, but the concept as it was understood is completely gone. Even though any given Friday night, I'd say 10% of the crowd walking down Hill Street is still clearly dressed to go "clubbing."

jt04

no. A circuit board burnt out and they replaced it. That's it. I have a source with direct knowledge of that situation.

I don't understand why they were so quick to take down the Motion sign, while leaving the Mannequins one. Why paint over 8-trax but leave up the back side of Comedy Warehouse sign? It doesn't make any sense. Either get rid of it or keep it! Stop screwing with us!

Imagine if they would have actually had signed contracts before they made this stupid decision. At least if they had that, there wouldn't be this insanely dead area with empty buildings. It's obvious things haven't gone as planned. They never planned on renting out Motion, BET, and AC, but they did because things fell through. I am convinced of that. I'm also convinced there were other ways they could have modified PI to still work within the confines of the DTD area. I think PI was ultimately subject to the problem that west side created. Funny how the knee-jerk reaction to the copy cat city walk(west side) results in the closure of the original.

JT before u jump on me, I think people are miss-understanding your position. You state that there could be a better area for PI and you're not against nightlife on property. Unfortunately PI suffered a bad fate because of bad decisions made in the late 90s. If they had announced or even started building a night life district in another location, I think there would be a lot less anger from the fans. They could have taken lights right out of mannequins and put it into a new mannequins and the same with the other clubs. The clubs provided us a place to go where we could feel safe, be in a smoke free environment, and have fun dancing without even having to drive back to the hotel. Disney is missing the boat by not offering that anymore on property.

Maybe so, but I think Disney wants out of the club business as far as possible (especially in DTD) and it isn't any more complicated than that.

I'm going back to my theory. Pretty much everything that wasn't well down the development pipeline, such as the Stitch Stage and Space Mountain, was canceled or delayed when the management realignment occured last year. I belive that also included TDO's master plan for redeveloping PI. It's a quality control issue and I think Glendale and higher level management has largely asserted control over any large or capital intensive projects. I don't understand how people can't see this new paradigm that is methodically moving through each division in the company.

It's roots are with Pixar and it's business model. So when you hear people complaining about the "pixarification" of Disney it's not because they don't want the characters everywhere, though that is part of it. But more likely those complaining are entrenched and fear change and having to do more to ensure the quality demanded by the Pixar way.

IMO.

MousDad

I'm going back to my theory. Pretty much everything that wasn't well down the development pipeline, such as the Stitch Stage and Space Mountain, was canceled or delayed when the management realignment occured last year. I belive that also included TDO's master plan for redeveloping PI. It's a quality control issue and I think Glendale and higher level management has largely asserted control over any large or capital intensive projects.

Your new theory as to why your original theory was nothing but a bunch of BS is very theoretical, I'll give you that.

It's roots are with Pixar and it's business model.

Pixar's business model is those doing the actual work of the company, particularly those who excel at it, running the show. That, and an intense emphasis on collaboration. Couldn't be more diametrically opposed to the way Bob does business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom