Changes at DTD

jt04

I agree 100%. IMO, the gates are what made PI work. Gates provided the exclusive "nightclub" feel, and you're right on target, double-wide strollers destroyed the party-time atmosphere. I understand the decision to remove the gates for traffic flow b/n Marketplace and WS, I just didn't agree with it for the sake of PI. If the plan was to sacrifice PI for WS, I cannot understand why WS wasn't more "bold and new." Magnetron, Starbillias, and a cigar shop are insults to DTD's potential, and I suppose that is why I am the most disappointed about PI's demise.

Recognizing that the foot traffic problem to get to WS from MP was a problem, the boats were a good effort. But, they just aren't efficient and IMO WS isn't worth the effort of getting there.

As for "bold and new," there are some really great ideas for WS and PI on the boards. Maybe it's not the disaster I perceive it to be, but I certainly hope something is in the works.

I agree that several of the tenants brought in are not up to standards. Magnetron being the prime example. Candy Cauldron is repetitive and some of the carts are just plain and lack theme. Disney should "leak" their different plans and let forums like this provide feedback. Who needs marketing surveys when they have wdwmagic?

asianway

Great perspective. You are probably right about a high end restaurant. Doesn't Disney still own the EL however? I just thougnt the original configuration was a winner and wouldn't mind them restoring it.

They own they building, it is currently in the middle of a 20 year lease which ends in 2015 I believe. Given their relationship with Levy, I do not have hopes they would do anything but extend it, but restoring the Empress Lilly would be a great start.

OMG, did I just agree with jt?

All they needed to do to improve the traffic flow would be to build a boardwalk into the water to be able to walk from EL to the spot the balloon is now bypassing the entire island. Considering they did this before in Frontierland when Splash Mountain opened, it should have been done the moment the West Side opened.

jt04

They own they building, it is currently in the middle of a 20 year lease which ends in 2015 I believe. Given their relationship with Levy, I do not have hopes they would do anything but extend it, but restoring the Empress Lilly would be a great start.

OMG, did I just agree with jt?

All they needed to do to improve the traffic flow would be to build a boardwalk into the water to be able to walk from EL to the spot the balloon is now bypassing the entire island. Considering they did this before in Frontierland when Splash Mountain opened, it should have been done the moment the West Side opened.

I think it is quite possible a walkway/boardwalk could be a part of the plan for the PI area just as you describe. There was a post about a lighthouse icon being built which indicates to me the water front will be a big part of the new configuration. A greek restaurant in the manner of Raglin Road could work well along the waterfront also.

PS- Agreeing with me is wise and it'll save you the time you would have lost if you had waited.

:D

;)

71jason

Yeah, scremascape is paramount in accurate news.:lookaroun

Believe it when I see it....from a reputable source.

I'll stick up for Lance...he gets more right than he gets wrong (compare to, say, Jim Hill), and when a rumor is out there, he'll generally say as much, telling readers to take it with a grain of salt.

In this case, the walls are up--saw them last night. And I heard (and posted) a month or two ago DJ booth/catwalk first, then Motion and Beach Club early next year. Admittedly I thought Motion was to go first, but maybe things changed, or maybe the rumor got twisted a bit. Fact is, much of the east side of PI is finally coming down.

jt04

I'll stick up for Lance...he gets more right than he gets wrong (compare to, say, Jim Hill), and when a rumor is out there, he'll generally say as much, telling readers to take it with a grain of salt.

In this case, the walls are up--saw them last night. And I heard (and posted) a month or two ago DJ booth/catwalk first, then Motion and Beach Club early next year. Admittedly I thought Motion was to go first, but maybe things changed, or maybe the rumor got twisted a bit. Fact is, much of the east side of PI is finally coming down.

People are going to be amazed by how nice the views are once the area opens up and then the tenants will follow. I have a very good feeling about DTD's future. And yes I know I'm in the minority of opinion about that. :cool:

jt04

This is the "official" DTD progress thread. All pretender threads will be assimilated.............or locked. :zipit::lol:

Resistence is futile :drevil:

:cool:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is the "official" DTD progress thread. All pretender threads will be assimilated.............or locked. :zipit::lol:

Are you a new moderator? I never knew moderators to be so controversial and confrontational. :shrug:

Thelazer

You mean the "It's going to be so good thread... we just know it, oh it will be so great.. oh happy thoughts only thread"

Yea, I'll be amazed at the great view of nothing, once the buildings are torn down. How great, you know looking out at a lake where once a great island stood.

asianway

You mean the "It's going to be so good thread... we just know it, oh it will be so great.. oh happy thoughts only thread"

Yea, I'll be amazed at the great view of nothing, once the buildings are torn down. How great, you know looking out at a lake where once a great island stood.

Theres plenty of places to look at the lake, Saratoga, LBV course, Marketplace, and lots of places on the West Side. Not even counting the views from the Hindenburg. Ive seen it, its not a terribly exciting lake.

EPCOT Explorer

Stop thinking like that....TDO might hire you.:lookaroun:lol:

jt04

Theres plenty of places to look at the lake, Saratoga, LBV course, Marketplace, and lots of places on the West Side. Not even counting the views from the Hindenburg. Ive seen it, its not a terribly exciting lake.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Take a boat ride on a clear night from Port Orleans to the RFC dock.. It's stunning and that was before the balloon was added. The only eyesore are those hulking warehouse buildings on the island formerly known as PI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom