Changes at DTD

BigThunderMatt

No, everything creative should have to go through WDI in Glendale. Also, front line CM's should be employed by Disney. Other than that, nothing should be considered sacred. IMO.

Front line CMs would suffer greatly if their own leadership teams were outsourced individuals who had never worked the front lines. They wouldn't be able to relate. Right now it's incredibly competitive to get leadership roles at WDW because they are incredibly discriminating about who gets them, but it makes a difference in the effect that good leadership teams have on front line CMs. I fear that if it was outsourced they would hire anyone with a pulse and a good resume to be in a leadership position.

I'm sorry, but I know that many of WDW's leaders (not necessarily in TDO but in the parks) started out on the front lines. I don't think anyone who hasn't started at the bottom at WDW is qualified to lead anyone in the parks or resorts.

TimNRA757

I was just at DtD last night and I don't see what everyone is griping about. It was pretty fun and there were a lot of people there. I'll be honest, I'm glad PI is gone when you see the clientele that CityWalk at Universal draws. That same garbage was starting to head to PI. Could PI have been saved from this? Absolutely, just make it a hard ticket place like it originally was for WDW guest only or the like but I think in the end that route would only work for so long before someone starts screaming about how it's for the elite only or something. I don't know, I'm torn because I did have fun at PI when it was open but it's time to move on I guess.

lazyboy97o

No, everything creative should have to go through WDI in Glendale. Also, front line CM's should be employed by Disney. Other than that, nothing should be considered sacred. IMO.
You cannot just outsource the middle. It would mean that companies are unable to control the very employees that are charged with selling their products and services. That is in no way a reasonable request because the middle company then has no authority and Disney would be still be stuck doing was is supposedly outsourced. It would also prevent, as stated, the middle company from promoting from within and thus preventing itself from cultivating its own experienced staff. Even then, the more companies involved the more outside people to whom you are potentially divulging any trade secrets.

The other issue with outsourcing as many fields as possible is the lack of cohesion. Walt Disney World is ultimately supposed to be one larger experience, not a series of fragmented experiences that only loosely relate in name only. This was part of the problem with the original Disneyland.

WDW Vacationer

Okay, the paid shills are getting just a little to obsessive here.....
I'm not paid to post my opinion.
I was just at DtD last night and I don't see what everyone is griping about. It was pretty fun and there were a lot of people there. I'll be honest, I'm glad PI is gone when you see the clientele that CityWalk at Universal draws. That same garbage was starting to head to PI. Could PI have been saved from this? Absolutely, just make it a hard ticket place like it originally was for WDW guest only or the like but I think in the end that route would only work for so long before someone starts screaming about how it's for the elite only or something. I don't know, I'm torn because I did have fun at PI when it was open but it's time to move on I guess.

I feel the exact same way.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
nevermind the armed robbery, concealed carry, and 2 car break ins recently at DTD. Clearly PI was the culprit of such things

EpcotServo

Today I was asked to, later in the week, kill an hour at Downtown Disney.

But there is nothing to do....I can shop all the remaining shops in like ten minutes...

I will most likely wait in the car.

jt04

Today I was asked to, later in the week, kill an hour at Downtown Disney.

But there is nothing to do....I can shop all the remaining shops in like ten minutes...

I will most likely wait in the car.

Perhaps an Epcotservo update could help you kill some time. We could always use pics of the deconstruction phase here at WDWmagic.

There are plenty of other photo ops there too, to challange your talents.

Master Gracey

PI was tired.

Correction, management was tired of PI. There is a difference. Pleasure Island still has potential as the night life venue of Walt Disney World. Heck, the bartenders still are asked what time do the clubs open, so its obvious that is what the public wants, not more shops and restaurants. Just reopen the Clubs, put up the turnstiles and resume the party!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

jt04

Correction, management was tired of PI. There is a difference. Pleasure Island still has potential as the night life venue of Walt Disney World. Heck, the bartenders still are asked what time do the clubs open, so its obvious that is what the public wants, not more shops and restaurants. Just reopen the Clubs, put up the turnstiles and resume the party!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

People are coached to ask the bartenders when the clubs open. Not to mention write letters, call, send e-mails, etc etc. They have absolutely made the right decision to turn DTD into a significantly more family friendly destination. It's Disney afterall not Universal. Um, I mean comcast.

BigThunderMatt

They have absolutely made the right decision to turn DTD into a significantly more family friendly destination. It's Disney afterall not Universal. Um, I mean comcast.

I see no reason why there is any solid justification for doing so. Why does being on a family vacation mean you have to have your kids in tow 24/7? They have the child activity centers like Neverland Club for a reason and it's not so that adults can go enjoy an enchanted evening at Victoria and Albert's (although I'm sure that's what Disney is banking on).

Grant it, I understand part of the reason that the clubs saw a decline in attendance was when they switched to the strict 21 and over policy. This was mostly due in part to the large number of underage college program students managing to get served alcohol Thursday night and then calling in on Friday morning with a hangover and knowing they could get away with it because of how the attendance point system worked back then.

However, if Disney thought that would solve the problem, they were sorely mistaken. Instead it just caused more underage drinking issues at the apartment complexes AND Pleasure Island's attendance decline. If anything, what should have been done was have the club staff and bartenders be much more discriminating about IDs. I know that quite a few people weren't even getting carded.

I for one personally stopped going after they changed the rule because even though I was of age to drink at the time, a lot of my CP friends were not, and it wasn't much fun to go by myself. I suspect that quite a few people were in the same situation as me.

Grant it, some of this is speculation on my part, but you can't deny that a good chunk of PI's attendance came from cast members and college program students.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
PI was tired.
well lets see..

you ungate the island
you get rid of the fireworks show as it once was
you get rid of the fireworks
you tear down the stage that once saw very good and well known acts perform
you cut the entertainment budget, laying off a lot of the streetmosphere people, among other things.
and then you stop promoting.

Gee, I can't imagine why attendance was down(though still profitable). When you strangle a goose by the neck eventually it's gonna die...or you can justify your decision to put a bullet in its brain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom