Changes at DTD

jt04

Your new theory as to why your original theory was nothing but a bunch of BS is very theoretical, I'll give you that.

Pixar's business model is those doing the actual work of the company, particularly those who excel at it, running the show. That, and an intense emphasis on collaboration. Couldn't be more diametrically opposed to the way Bob does business.

My theory hasn't changed from day 1, I'm just adding layers cause these things need to be explained slowly for some folks :lookaroun :wave:

Ummm, "Bob" made the decision to buy Pixar. Just sayin....:cool:

overdrive

no. A circuit board burnt out and they replaced it. That's it. I have a source with direct knowledge of that situation.

I don't understand why they were so quick to take down the Motion sign, while leaving the Mannequins one. Why paint over 8-trax but leave up the back side of Comedy Warehouse sign? It doesn't make any sense. Either get rid of it or keep it! Stop screwing with us!

Imagine if they would have actually had signed contracts before they made this stupid decision. At least if they had that, there wouldn't be this insanely dead area with empty buildings. It's obvious things haven't gone as planned. They never planned on renting out Motion, BET, and AC, but they did because things fell through. I am convinced of that. I'm also convinced there were other ways they could have modified PI to still work within the confines of the DTD area. I think PI was ultimately subject to the problem that west side created. Funny how the knee-jerk reaction to the copy cat city walk(west side) results in the closure of the original.

JT before u jump on me, I think people are miss-understanding your position. You state that there could be a better area for PI and you're not against nightlife on property. Unfortunately PI suffered a bad fate because of bad decisions made in the late 90s. If they had announced or even started building a night life district in another location, I think there would be a lot less anger from the fans. They could have taken lights right out of mannequins and put it into a new mannequins and the same with the other clubs. The clubs provided us a place to go where we could feel safe, be in a smoke free environment, and have fun dancing without even having to drive back to the hotel. Disney is missing the boat by not offering that anymore on property.

Many people have said that management made decisions that caused that demise of PI, and that it was done on purpose. I used to agree with the thinking that it was done on purpose but I'm starting to rethink that now. I am really starting to think that management just does not know what its doing. Its all these continual screws ups that make me think this. If this was a business that was not linked to huge purse strings then it would be long gone by the incompetence of these people, its stunning. You would think at some point someone higher up would step in and say get it right. I mean come on, they cant even do the demolition correctly, how in the heck were they supposed to run it correctly when it was open. Incompetent from such a large company is inexcusable and expensive to that company.

jt04

Many people have said that management made decisions that caused that demise of PI, and that it was done on purpose. I used to agree with the thinking that it was done on purpose but I'm starting to rethink that now. I am really starting to think that management just does not know what its doing. Its all these continual screws ups that make me think this. If this was a business that was not linked to huge purse strings then it would be long gone by the incompetence of these people, its stunning. You would think at some point someone higher up would step in and say get it right. I mean come on, they cant even do the demolition correctly, how in the heck were they supposed to run it correctly when it was open. Incompetent from such a large company is inexcusable and expensive to that company.

The TL Skyway station had work going on in the interior for quite awhile before it became evident most of the building was being demolished. That is because a lot of work went into prepping the building before it could have the exterior removed.

I think it may be the same for PI buildings. A lot of prep work is taking place inside but once they start on the exterior it will be quick.

*burp* :snore:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
The TL Skyway station had work going on in the interior for quite awhile before it became evident most of the building was being demolished. That is because a lot of work went into prepping the building before it could have the exterior removed.

I think it may be the same for PI buildings. A lot of prep work is taking place inside but once they start on the exterior it will be quick.

*burp* :snore:
so far as I can tell, BET is stripped and ready to be torn down. 8-trax is stripped except for the lockers and hanging TVs by the lower bars. I can't speak for mannequins since I've heard rumors they are storing stuff in there. Motion is completely functional, lights, sound and all. RRBC is ready for demolition.

Yet they all sit. Unused, taunting us everyday.

Orange Bird

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The dance clubs needed to be closed, but there was a time when Disney did not close attractions without planning something new. Closed, empty buildings have become too commen at WDW. It's starting to look like Detroit.

Blatently lying to the public, claiming there was some kind of "bold new vision" is insulting. Disney seems to have no respect any more for the public--it's a complete 180 for Walt's days. "

Clearly the WDW executives thought: everyone would want to open a restaurant at Disney. Let just close up the stuff the old timers built and rent it out. We wont need to manage anything, we'll just be landlords!

This is the same logic behind Flamigo Crossing and it's arrogant. Disney management today thinks their brand is so strong but they have no understanding of how that brand was built, and they have no respect for the people that built it, and no respect for the public that responds to it.

:wave:

Orange Bird

Pixar's business model is those doing the actual work of the company, particularly those who excel at it, running the show. That, and an intense emphasis on collaboration. Couldn't be more diametrically opposed to the way Bob does business.

It seems to me the purchase of Pixar has enabled the rest of the Walt Disney Company to be nothing like Pixar. Pixar takes creative risks. They create original content not based on well-known properties. They are the only people in the company allowed to take risks (because they have an excellent track record). Because they take risks, the rest of the compandy does not. The theme parks do not create attractions based on original ideas anymore (like Pirates, Country Bears or Big Thunder Mtn.) now they create attractions based on successful franchises (like American Idol or Toy Story). Live action films are all based on characters that have been pre-sold to the audience, and the purchse of Marvel will continue this trend. Because Pixar is wildly inventive and innovative the rest of the company can just rest on their laurels. That's Bob Iger's Disney.

Christi22222

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This is the same logic behind Flamigo Crossing and it's arrogant. Disney management today thinks their brand is so strong but they have no understanding of how that brand was built, and they have no respect for the people that built it, and no respect for the public that responds to it.

:wave:

Wow! This is such a shocking and accurate statement. I am not at all happy that this is going on. However, I am glad to have this concept defined so clearly. Now could we just have Disney management grasp it? I am truly worried that the Disney I know and love is fading away. I believe there is absolutely a way to turn it around, but first the Disney folks have to see what is going wrong. And that is tough to get them to do when they are still making money.

MythBuster

so far as I can tell, BET is stripped and ready to be torn down. 8-trax is stripped except for the lockers and hanging TVs by the lower bars. I can't speak for mannequins since I've heard rumors they are storing stuff in there. Motion is completely functional, lights, sound and all. RRBC is ready for demolition.

Yet they all sit. Unused, taunting us everyday.

Motions is now stripped also. It got moved to Odyssey at Epcot.

lazyboy97o

Maybe so, but I think Disney wants out of the club business as far as possible (especially in DTD) and it isn't any more complicated than that.

I'm going back to my theory. Pretty much everything that wasn't well down the development pipeline, such as the Stitch Stage and Space Mountain, was canceled or delayed when the management realignment occured last year. I belive that also included TDO's master plan for redeveloping PI. It's a quality control issue and I think Glendale and higher level management has largely asserted control over any large or capital intensive projects. I don't understand how people can't see this new paradigm that is methodically moving through each division in the company.

It's roots are with Pixar and it's business model. So when you hear people complaining about the "pixarification" of Disney it's not because they don't want the characters everywhere, though that is part of it. But more likely those complaining are entrenched and fear change and having to do more to ensure the quality demanded by the Pixar way.

IMO.
Yeah, because allowing for a shopping district's equivalency of terminal cancer, emptiness, is a strategy based on offering quality. Downtown Disney in Anaheim continues to have temporary locations take up residence just to keep spaces filled. There is absolutely no reason that Orlando cannot follow a similar process, just to keep the area useful.

I must say though, I love how you consistently rip on Eisner but then explain how we are going to get a bright new future because Iger is intent on micromanaging while every other description has been of Eisner as the micromanager and Iger as the delegator.

jt04

Yeah, because allowing for a shopping district's equivalency of terminal cancer, emptiness, is a strategy based on offering quality. Downtown Disney in Anaheim continues to have temporary locations take up residence just to keep spaces filled. There is absolutely no reason that Orlando cannot follow a similar process, just to keep the area useful.

I must say though, I love how you consistently rip on Eisner but then explain how we are going to get a bright new future because Iger is intent on micromanaging while every other description has been of Eisner as the micromanager and Iger as the delegator.

The PI buildings don't lend themselves to temporary locations so much. On top of that, if it is true that major utility infrastructure has to be reworked to enable them to "reimagine" the "Island", then that makes adding temporary vendors even more difficult.

I don't think Iger micromanages. I think he feels the necessity to create divisions that consistently deliver a quality product. And to do that he aspires to build quality teams of talent in the manner of Pixar. As long as that is happening it appears he is pretty much hands off. But if he is forced to sit through a screening of something like "Old Dogs", then......I guess he micromanages at that point.

I try not to critisize Eisner without mentioning those things he did right. And he did more good than bad at WDW. But the stuff he got wrong at the Florida resort is proving especially expensive to fix. But they are getting there. And when the walls go up to begin the expansion of the MK, the tide will have finally turned, the pendulum will finally start it's swing back, the ship will have been turned around and it will be morning again at WDW. IMO.

:)

EPCOT Explorer

The PI buildings don't lend themselves to temporary locations so much. On top of that, if it is true that major utility infrastructure has to be reworked to enable them to "reimagine" the "Island", then that makes adding temporary vendors even more difficult.

I don't think Iger micromanages. I think he feels the necessity to create divisions that consistently deliver a quality product. And to do that he aspires to build quality teams of talent in the manner of Pixar. As long as that is happening it appears he is pretty much hands off. But if he is forced to sit through a screening of something like "Old Dogs", then......I guess he micromanages at that point.

I try not to critisize Eisner without mentioning those things he did right. And he did more good than bad at WDW. But the stuff he got wrong at the Florida resort is proving especially expensive to fix. But they are getting there. And when the walls go up to begin the expansion of the MK, the tide will have finally turned, the pendulum will finally start it's swing back, the ship will have been turned around and it will be morning again at WDW. IMO.

:lol: Beautiful imagery, jt. You should have said "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, WDW will...." :lol::lookaroun

While that is all going to be nice and all, and it's a start, it will take much more to "do it" for me. They can build a new Fantasyland, and then 5 years later, it could be under maintained, and still the "new" draw for WDW. The point in time where things chane isn't at the start of construction, it's at opening, and what they do thereafter. IMO.

71jason

Maybe so, but I think Disney wants out of the club business as far as possible (especially in DTD) and it isn't any more complicated than that.

I actually agree. But they also want out of the restaurant business, the hotel business--and eventually the ride business, if they came ever come up with a viable business model. I tell you, the MBA who figures a way to outsource operation of attractions without a PR firestorm will be able to write his own ticket.

jt04

I actually agree. But they also want out of the restaurant business, the hotel business--and eventually the ride business, if they came ever come up with a viable business model. I tell you, the MBA who figures a way to outsource operation of attractions without a PR firestorm will be able to write his own ticket.

I completely understand TWDC outsourcing as much as possible especially with something as complex as WDW. It's just too much logistically to manage without creating a massive bureaucratic machine. That leads to great ineffciencies, productivity issues, cronyism, entrenched powers and eventually corruption. Hmmm, sound familiar? Kind of a description of exactly what happens to government bureacracies when they get to massive.

The best thing Disney can do for WDW in particular is outsource, as long as the contracts are stong and ensure the excellence and quality Disney is known for.

EPCOT Explorer

I completely understand TWDC outsourcing as much as possible especially with something as complex as WDW. It's just too much logistically to manage without creating a massive bureaucratic machine. That leads to great ineffciencies, productivity issues, cronyism, entrenched powers and eventually corruption. Hmmm, sound familiar? Kind of a description of exactly what happens to government bureacracies when they get to massive.

The best thing Disney can do for WDW in particular is outsource, as long as the contracts are stong and ensure the excellence and quality Disney is known for.

Go outside Disney to get Disney quality?:brick: While it would work in theory, I really do doubt if anyone can be found that would do that.

....Save for the OLC.

jt04

Go outside Disney to get Disney quality?:brick: While it would work in theory, I really do doubt if anyone can be found that would do that.

....Save for the OLC.

I hate to break it to you but a large percentage of what happens at WDW is contracted. I'm not talking contracting the "creative" aspects, just everything else for the most part.

And OLC is not a contractor.

EPCOT Explorer

I hate to break it to you but a large percentage of what happens at WDW is contracted. I'm not talking contracting the "creative" aspects, just everything else for the most part.

And OLC is not a contractor.

Knew that, but what you are proposing is to make EVERYTHING contracted, which would be going from the Fry Pan, and into the Fire, IMHO.:wave:

The OLC was allusion to what TDR does.

jt04

Knew that, but what you are proposing is to make EVERYTHING contracted, which would be going from the Fry Pan, and into the Fire, IMHO.:wave:

The OLC was allusion to what TDR does.

No, everything creative should have to go through WDI in Glendale. Also, front line CM's should be employed by Disney. Other than that, nothing should be considered sacred. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom