Changes at DTD

Mr.EPCOT

from Disney's own (admittedly not always the most accurate) website:

So...anybody that doesn't know that PI is closed before visiting hasn't done the most elementary of research.

Of course you should do at least minimal planning for your vacation, but it's not like the average person is going to think (nor should they have to), 'Gee, maybe I should check to see if they've closed all of the nightclubs permanently.' it's not the Guests responsibility to somehow anticipate such a major change in Disney's business. The whole reason to go to Walt Disney World is to unwind and relax, and it's somehow your fault your vacation is less than what you wanted it to be if you're not smart enough to plan for the contingency of the loss of what's been a primary component of your (and many others) visit in the past? If that's the case, you should check to make sure Magic Kingdom or EPCOT or Studios or Typhoon Lagoon is still around before you go, or else your expectations might be unreasonably high for your trip. :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Of course you should do at least minimal planning for your vacation, but it's not like the average person is going to think (nor should they have to), 'Gee, maybe I should check to see if they've closed all of the nightclubs permanently.' it's not the Guests responsibility to somehow anticipate such a major change in Disney's business. The whole reason to go to Walt Disney World is to unwind and relax, and it's somehow your fault your vacation is less than what you wanted it to be if you're not smart enough to plan for the contingency of the loss of what's been a primary component of your (and many others) visit in the past? If that's the case, you should check to make sure Magic Kingdom or EPCOT or Studios or Typhoon Lagoon is still around before you go, or else your expectations might be unreasonably high for your trip. :rolleyes:
While I certainly understand what you are saying, as I certainly lament the loss of PI as much as anyone, it was certainly NOT a major factor of most peoples decision to visit WDW.

It was a nice perk, but then again, so was River Country. How many people actually pack their club kids ensemble to go to WDW?

CaptainMichael

While I certainly understand what you are saying, as I certainly lament the loss of PI as much as anyone, it was certainly NOT a major factor of most peoples decision to visit WDW.

It was a nice perk, but then again, so was River Country. How many people actually pack their club kids ensemble to go to WDW?

However, you cannot literally walk up to River Country and its signs arent still up. You can walk up to the Adventurers Club and see lights on inside and flags waving in the A/C

fngoofy

I am kinda glad that PI is gone. I liked it more when it was LBV shops, the Empress Lilly, and not much else.
Now they need to ditch Cirque and Dan Aykroyd's place and we will be all the better for it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
However, you cannot literally walk up to River Country and its signs arent still up. You can walk up to the Adventurers Club and see lights on inside and flags waving in the A/C

True. At least when then closed River Country they gave us an alternative.

But I still wonder how many guests that are interested in PI don't already know that it's no longer open. Most club going patrons are well abreast of their available options. Your average mom and dad who might want a cocktail couldn't care less whether it comes from PI or from a hotel bar.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I checked out the island tonight. Mannequins has a leak by the 2nd story bathrooms where that smoking area was on the last night. The water was dripping from the bathroom and there was a pretty big puddle flowing right over to the stairs. What a mess.

Motion, on the other hand, now has that black stuff covering the windows on the doors! In my book, that means something is happening. Those windows haven't been covered for the last year and now they are. Either they are stripping or redoing something

Mr.EPCOT

It very tell could be an important factor in some peoples vacation decisions, it just doesn't immediately come to mind as a major part of someone's vacation because Pleasure Island is something that repeat visitors would have come take for granted over the years. And I'm sure the scenario played out many times that a couple or other assorted group of adults were researching vacation options, took a glance at Walt Disney World, noticed they had a nightclub district, and thought to themselves, 'Hey, maybe Disney World isn't just for kids,' paid better attention to what the whole place has to offer, and maybe have taken a trip there where they wouldn't have really even considered it before.

sittle

It very tell could be an important factor in some peoples vacation decisions, it just doesn't immediately come to mind as a major part of someone's vacation because Pleasure Island is something that repeat visitors would have come take for granted over the years.....

Maybe I am interpreting your words incorrectly, but if your saying that:

"repeat vacationers to WDW would/will take pleasure island for granted over the years..."

.... I would have to disagree, we typically go yearly, and every time we went we spent a long night at CW and AC.... I know I never took it for granted... We are really going to miss those places...

JWG

It very tell could be an important factor in some peoples vacation decisions, it just doesn't immediately come to mind as a major part of someone's vacation because Pleasure Island is something that repeat visitors would have come take for granted over the years. And I'm sure the scenario played out many times that a couple or other assorted group of adults were researching vacation options, took a glance at Walt Disney World, noticed they had a nightclub district, and thought to themselves, 'Hey, maybe Disney World isn't just for kids,' paid better attention to what the whole place has to offer, and maybe have taken a trip there where they wouldn't have really even considered it before.

I agree, while it wasn't a deciding factor to visit, it had appeal as a reason to visit. I still argue that in the off-season, WDW is a ghost town starting at about 6:00pm with very little to do. PI offered something for those who weren't tied to a hotel room with kids to do after hours.

Now, I have to go shopping at World of Disney, Mini-golfing, see Cirque, have a late dinner seating or.....

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
"And I'm sure the scenario played out many times that a couple or other assorted group of adults were researching vacation options, took a glance at Walt Disney World, noticed they had a nightclub district, and thought to themselves, 'Hey, maybe Disney World isn't just for kids,' paid better attention to what the whole place has to offer, and maybe have taken a trip there where they wouldn't have really even considered it before."

I tend to agree. We went to WDW for our honeymoon back in 1990, and DTD was not a consideration for us. We went there to shop and have dinner, but never realized how extensive (at the time) their bar and club environment was. And after nearly two dozen trips DTD still doesn't really have an impact on any of our plans, save for a shopping trip or perhaps dinner or some other meal. In fact, I just took my kids to the movies there for the first time this past June to see UP!.

Mr.EPCOT

Maybe I am interpreting your words incorrectly, but if your saying that:

"repeat vacationers to WDW would/will take pleasure island for granted over the years..."

.... I would have to disagree, we typically go yearly, and every time we went we spent a long night at CW and AC.... I know I never took it for granted... We are really going to miss those places...

Take for granted in the sense that you'd never have to worry about not having something fun to do at night.

lazyboy97o

Take for granted in the sense that you'd never have to worry about not having something fun to do at night.
Which is the biggest loss created by the closing of Pleasure Island. The parks close so ridiculously early at points throughout the year, that one is left with very little options for evening, let alone truly nighttime, entertainment.

jt04

Which is the biggest loss created by the closing of Pleasure Island. The parks close so ridiculously early at points throughout the year, that one is left with very little options for evening, let alone truly nighttime, entertainment.

That is why they are fixing the PI section of DTD. So people (all people) have something to do at night. Since the vast majority of guests to WDW are families, it makes perfect sense Disney is evolving DTD to a more "user friendly" venue while still maintaing places that are for older guests without kids.

Jim Hill Media has a nice example of how Disney is blending these two concepts in the parks and at DTD. :)

The future is bold and new. As are Marvel characters at WDW. :lookaroun

:D

trr1

True. At least when then closed River Country they gave us an alternative.

But I still wonder how many guests that are interested in PI don't already know that it's no longer open. Most club going patrons are well abreast of their available options. Your average mom and dad who might want a cocktail couldn't care less whether it comes from PI or from a hotel bar.
Disney did give you an alternative to PI its called City Walk at UNI

jt04

I see nothing bold or new about new menus or 3rd party restaurants.:rolleyes:

I do. And the story just spotlights a couple early examples of a growing trend.

But let's be honest, the problem for most is the closing of AC. Which only takes up one little tiny corner of DTD. I think keeping the place open would be bold but it does not seem likely. But it's not like there isn't a whole lot more to DTD than the AC.

Now someone mentioned that CW is an alternative to PI and I think that is true. But have you wondered why CW and Uni are not rushing to add a comedy club or AC-esque type entertainment? I wonder? :veryconfu

SirGoofy

Now someone mentioned that CW is an alternative to PI and I think that is true. But have you wondered why CW and Uni are not rushing to add a comedy club or AC-esque type entertainment? I wonder? :veryconfu

Well considering the AC and CW were two of the more successful clubs, I'm going to guess it's because Uni can't do AC like Disney, and the fact that Disney would probably sue them for something Disney is only going to do in Hong Kong.:rolleyes:

EDIT: And I have NO idea how you can call renting the place out bold.

jt04

Well considering the AC and CW were two of the more successful clubs, I'm going to guess it's because Uni can't do AC like Disney, and the fact that Disney would probably sue them for something Disney is only going to do in Hong Kong.:rolleyes:

EDIT: And I have NO idea how you can call renting the place out bold.

Comedy clubs are not a Disney invention. So they couldn't sue Disney for adding one of those. And character driven nightclub/restaurant shows in the Orlando area predate the AC, so they can't sue Disney if they add one of those. My guess is that there just isn't that much demand and/or profit in it.

As for "renting the place out", well I'm waiting to see what the plan is for the former PI area. Because it is starting to resemble the TL skyway station just before the bulldozers moved in. Something is in the works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom