Change to the Pirates early 2018

Raineman

It’s a regarded iconic scene in the industry.
And, I think people who say “it’s just one little scene, why so upset?” don’t realize the auction is the focal point of that entire, huge section of the ride. When you enter that room, what are your eyes instantly drawn to? The auctioneer and the redhead. Whether people support the change or not, everyone has to admit that it is a fairly significant change.

KBLovedDisney

Do they sell any more merch for the Auction scene? :( I didn't get a chance to snatch anything except a pin with Goofy as the Auctioneer pirate saying "It be gold I'm after."

Raineman

Do they sell any more merch for the Auction scene? :( I didn't get a chance to snatch anything except a pin with Goofy as the Auctioneer pirate saying "It be gold I'm after."
I was at WDW the first week of November, and every time we walked through the POTC gift shop after riding, I was looking for the "We Wants The Redhead" shirt, but I didn't have any luck. I'm assuming they stopped producing any merch related to the auction scene soon after the decision was made to remove the scene last year.

graphite1326

I was at WDW the first week of November, and every time we walked through the POTC gift shop after riding, I was looking for the "We Wants The Redhead" shirt, but I didn't have any luck. I'm assuming they stopped producing any merch related to the auction scene soon after the decision was made to remove the scene last year.
I actually found a "we wants the redhead" t-shirt at HS the last time I was there. I can't remember the name of the place I found it but there was a ton of bricks hanging over my head.

graphite1326

Times change.

In 1967, it was fun to sell women into slavery, chase after them with the apparent intent of sexual molestation, mock this with having some women chase after the men, and fat-shaming one in the process.

In 2017, that will be removed, and it will only be considered fun to murder men, torture men, and steal and plunder from the privileged. Oh well.
If that is how you feel maybe we should just shut this ride down because you find everything about it offensive.

clarabellej

So we might get a chance to go there in March. I almost had a heart attack when I noticed around the time we go Pirates was closing for refurbishment. It's fine, it will be open most (not all) of the time we are there. I knew they were changing the redhead scene but didn't know when. I guess this is when.

Alright, so other than the fact that social justice warriors seem content to ruin and water down pretty much everything in life, my question is, why does Disney even allow this? Is Mickey going to be charged for sexual harassment against Minnie? Does he need consent to hold her hand? Listen, this is crazy, they are pirates for crying out loud. You can't take lands like Adventureland and Frontierland and modernize them to 2017. The whole point of those lands is that they are either pure fantasy or that they are throwbacks.

How did all of this start? That's been on the ride as long as I can remember. Even the explanation is stupid. They'll be selling chickens? Huh? Is this what modern generations want? Sorry, people need to get a life.
We will miss Pirates on our Spring Break Trip because of this!!

So the Jungle Cruise line will be nuts. Mark my words.

This whole sexual harassment thing is like a witch hunt.

I don’t condone any of the inappropriate behavior, but my sister and I were discussing it.

She is twenty years older than me, so interesting to get her take.

Weinstein and all his repulsiveness is different from Batalli and his gross grabbing.

Different levels of nasty.

My 77 year old sister recalls a lot of jerks who made passes at her on the job, back in the day.

Oops, I assume this is why the redhead is being removed???!!!!

LetsTalkWDW

I have a "we want the redhead" t-shirt I bought at WDW. Mainly because my DW is a redhead. It's getting a little worn now. I hope I can get a new one. But my next trip I will make sure I wear it.

By the way, the last time I wore it when I entered PotC the CM said "nice shirt"

If they re-vamp the ride maybe you can get the actual redhead from the PoTC. Maybe they'll have an auction - wouldn't that be a hoot!

clarabellej

Plenty on Ebay.

EricPZ

I didn't like it when they changed the town scene to where the men were chasing the women (and the one woman at the end chasing the man) but I still rode the ride
I didn't like when they added all the Jack Sparrow stuff, but I still rode the ride
I don't like losing the auction scene, but I'm sure I'll still ride the ride.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Eh... The ride will still serve its purpose.. Which is literally: "Ooo look! Pirates!" Like. Just. Alright. Haha, I'll still enjoy it.

OneofThree

Eh... The ride will still serve its purpose.. Which is literally: "Ooo look! Pirates!" Like. Just. Alright. Haha, I'll still enjoy it.

Clearly you don't get it, which is fine. The reason is also clear, in that the ride obviously means something different to you than it does for others -which is also fine. Or is it?

WondersOfLife

Clearly you don't get it, which is fine. The reason is also clear, in that the ride obviously means something different to you than it does for others -which is also fine. Or is it?
The ride doesn't hold very much sentimental value to me the way it does to many of you guys, true. And I get that. I was very upset when they shortened Country Bear Jamboree's show time, and when they re-themed Test Track. Those were my childhoods. But as a child, I never got into Pirates. For whatever reason. I always liked it. But I'm not too fed up about this small little change. They aren't removing any animatronics. Just a dialogue and costume change. Maybe an iconic line, I guess.. but...

Eh.

OneofThree

The ride doesn't hold very much sentimental value to me the way it does to many of you guys, true. And I get that. I was very upset when they shortened Country Bear Jamboree's show time, and when they re-themed Test Track. Those were my childhoods. But as a child, I never got into Pirates. For whatever reason. I always liked it. But I'm not too fed up about this small little change. They aren't removing any animatronics. Just a dialogue and costume change. Maybe an iconic line, I guess.. but...

Eh.

A lot of "Disney people" obsess. I'm not one of those who will boycott the ride (or claim to, anyway). At the same time, Pirates is entirely iconic to me, having "grown up" with it in a way. So yes, there's this sentimental protection about it. I think what makes it worse is the idea that those who are taking exception are finding it difficult to identify any real, substantive harm being done to anyone due to the character or scene. Seems like politics for politics sake. DIS' Pete Werner said it best in a recent podcast in respect to HoP, suggesting that politics has no place in the Magic Kingdom.

WondersOfLife

A lot of "Disney people" obsess. I'm not one of those who will boycott the ride (or claim to, anyway). At the same time, Pirates is entirely iconic to me, having "grown up" with it in a way. So yes, there's this sentimental protection about it. I think what makes it worse is the idea that those who are taking exception are finding it difficult to identify any real, substantive harm being done to anyone due to the character or scene. Seems like politics for politics sake. DIS' Pete Werner said it best in a recent podcast in respect to HoP, suggesting that politics has no place in the Magic Kingdom.

I get that. It just doesn't bother me too much.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
This whole sexual harassment thing is like a witch hunt.

I don’t condone any of the inappropriate behavior, but my sister and I were discussing it.

She is twenty years older than me, so interesting to get her take.

Weinstein and all his repulsiveness is different from Batalli and his gross **** grabbing.

Different levels of nasty.

My 77 year old sister recalls a lot of jerks who made passes at her on the job, back in the day.

Oops, I assume this is why the redhead is being removed???!!!!

Hollywood is just doing a few things to save face right now. For whatever reason that we will probably never know Harvey Weinstein was the guy they went after. Not to say he is innocent, but the entire culture of Hollywood is guilty of sexual immorality. Basically what they are doing is using a few guys as an example and then railroading their careers just to prove a point that they too care about sexual assault and are getting rid of the perpetrators. They don't though.

That being said, I've been going to Disney since I was 10 and never once has a ride made me want to sexually assault a girl or woman.

Hayley In Wonderland

or the lions eating the zebra displays cruelty to animals and is offensive to vegans. This is a slippery slope that Disney is heading down, a revisionist history of sorts brought on by pandering to unnecessarily triggered minority groups.
I am a vegan and I can promise you that no "vegan" would be offended by a lion eating a zebra, as that is how lions eat, they are high on the food chain and zebras are considered "prey" for a lion....

The world is changing. Things that were acceptable then are not anymore, and Disney World has a responsibility to change and evolve with it, otherwise 20 years down the line EPCOT and Tomorrowland will become Yesterland...

I feel pretty neutral either way and I love the original scene, however it might be nice to see some change in the ride and see what is brought with it. A lady captain would be pretty awesome especially for the younger kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom