Change to the Pirates early 2018

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You are absolutely right. It is just a theme park and they could throw F16 fighter planes in there strafing the pirates ships... but then that would be completely ridiculous which is what I view your suggestions of making the women look like something they were not. If you want to see Wonder Woman I think she pops up now and again at Six Flags.

What do Wall, Bonny, Read, and O'Malley all have in common?

They were pirates, and they were women. They also weren't the only women who were pirates.

thomas998

What do Wall, Bonny, Read, and O'Malley all have in common?

They were pirates, and they were women. They also weren't the only women who were pirates.
They also passed themselves off as men so if it makes you feel better Anne Bonnie and Mary Read are the two after the red head just to keep their cover.

Hayley In Wonderland

You are absolutely right. It is just a theme park and they could throw F16 fighter planes in there strafing the pirates ships... but then that would be completely ridiculous which is what I view your suggestions of making the women look like something they were not. If you want to see Wonder Woman I think she pops up now and again at Six Flags.
So... It's okay for a theme park to include a talking mouse, a mermaid & a man that was turned into a beast, but the idea of a female pirate is ludicrous?

Oh dear...

I view your suggestion of women not being able to be pirates because it's not historically accurate enough for you a bit sexist & incredibly idiotic. But to each their own, I guess.

Mander

In the Parks
No
I guess it is because I don't believe in revisionist history. At the time of pirates women were really seen as the equivalent of cattle. Not a good thing, but historically that was the way it was. I see no point in trying to wallpaper over reality just to make people today feel better, my daughters know full well that had they been born 200 years ago their life would have been very bad. What would be gained from acting like that wasn't the way it was long long ago.

There were female pirates though. Not many but they existed. Anne Bonny is the one I can think of off the top of my head. That doesn't particularly matter though as Disney World is a land of fantasy more so that history. Not every girl wants to be a princess. Some girls want to be pirates! Why shouldn't they get to see women in those stories? As something more than a wench or a piece of property? Representation matters- in movies and and in silly rides like this. If even one girl is excited about the change or seeing a female pirate, it was absolutely worth it.

EricPZ

...just wondering if the temperance movement will soon have issue with the song lyrics "Drink up me 'arties, yo ho!!"???

ThistleMae

Lots of people find lots of things offensive. What about the legalization of marijuana? Want to see some dig deep feelings on that issue!

Raineman

How many of you in here, would not go on the ride...if it didn't change...just curious?
I will still ride it-I'm not going to let one change that I don't agree with keep me from enjoying the ride as a whole. I would love to know the actual reason for the change, though. If it was a case of "We need something new, a female pirate would be great", then, ok, let's see what you can do. If it was a case of "That scene is offensive, a few people are complaining, gotta put something there that won't offend anyone", then I have an issue with that. As I said in an earlier post, this could be a slippery slope for Disney. There are alot of references to alcohol in this ride-is that offensive to recovering alcoholics, people with abusive alcoholic family members and people who have lost loved ones to drunk driving? Are all the references to death at Haunted Mansion offensive/upsetting to people who have lost loved ones recently? What about Splash Mountain, which is a ride based on a movie that most people think is at least somewhat racist? Once you start, how and when does it stop? That's the bigger picture here, not one scene change on one ride.

ThistleMae

I will still ride it-I'm not going to let one change that I don't agree with keep me from enjoying the ride as a whole. I would love to know the actual reason for the change, though. If it was a case of "We need something new, a female pirate would be great", then, ok, let's see what you can do. If it was a case of "That scene is offensive, a few people are complaining, gotta put something there that won't offend anyone", then I have an issue with that. As I said in an earlier post, this could be a slippery slope for Disney. There are alot of references to alcohol in this ride-is that offensive to recovering alcoholics, people with abusive alcoholic family members and people who have lost loved ones to drunk driving? Are all the references to death at Haunted Mansion offensive/upsetting to people who have lost loved ones recently? What about Splash Mountain, which is a ride based on a movie that most people think is at least somewhat racist? Once you start, how and when does it stop? That's the bigger picture here, not one scene change on one ride.
I do agree with your point of view but here's another thought....maybe this is just the first small step to being more sensitive to a current issue, one that has affected and is affecting many women today. I do think the reason behind the change could easily be a very slippery slope. Maybe, just maybe, this is a small attempt to increase awareness and it's Disney's way of taking a stand. Again, I can definitely see your perspective and have the same argument with myself, but I'm trying to look at it from a slightly different angle. I'm trying to stay open.

OneofThree

Really, I have to question the sanity of anyone depending upon a fantasy theme park ride to define or forward important social concerns. This is ridiculous.

ThistleMae

Really, I have to question the sanity of anyone depending upon a fantasy theme park ride to define or forward important social concerns. This is ridiculous.
I have to disagree. I find Disney to be quite inspirational regarding taking care of the planet and choosing to make a difference by doing our part to take care of the earth. What about living with the land? What about the Circle of Life. I think Disney tries to be educational. Their movies introduce females in strong, independent roles. Yes, it is a fantasy theme park, and I'm glad it is, but they do some educational things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom