Change to the Pirates early 2018

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I am a vegan and I can promise you that no "vegan" would be offended by a lion eating a zebra, as that is how lions eat, they are high on the food chain and zebras are considered "prey" for a lion....

The world is changing. Things that were acceptable then are not anymore, and Disney World has a responsibility to change and evolve with it, otherwise 20 years down the line EPCOT and Tomorrowland will become Yesterland...

I feel pretty neutral either way and I love the original scene, however it might be nice to see some change in the ride and see what is brought with it. A lady captain would be pretty awesome especially for the younger kids.

Like Cheng I Sao, Mary Read, Grace O'Malley, Racehl Wall, Anne Bonnie, or Sadie the Goat.

Octagneh

Winnie the Pooh as well! How they haven't been arrested and internet shamed is beyond me.

They wanted to get rid of Shamu from what I remember. They didn't though. What were you referring to?

I believe, from my experience, the humans use to swim with the whales and now days (at least the times I have been recently) humans do not swim with Shamu.

ThistleMae

Because pirates tend to do pirate things...Even if you want to make a story grounded in "PC" culture, it still needs to have some grounding in reality, or people will start to be pulled from the immersion of the story. Part of the reason why Pirates works, is because the immersion of the story is all consuming. The pirates are silly, but the story is about what pirates do. They are crass, they are violent and they do bad things. Up until the 90s, the pirates still stayed within a general rue of being pirates, with a story that showed them as less than scary.

With the changes...Jack/pirates being chased off by brooms/etc...the pirates look less and less like, well....pirates. They are falling more and more to the cartoon side and less and less recognizable as a threatening group of plunderers. The narrative has switched from "Look at pirates doing bad things in a fun way" to "Look at pirates not really acting like pirates".

Small changes can affect the immersion of the attraction and detract from the story. Those small changes have a massive impact on the feel of the attraction. While the overall impact of one scene may be small, the cumulative impact of the edits has left the artistic vision of the ride drastically altered.
I like how you think. But...I guess I don't really care about the one change they want to make, as long as it's still funny. If you think about it comedians make fun of being politically correct all the time, and we laugh. I guess I don't know where we draw the line in the sand. The pendulum seems to be headed in the direction of OVER THE TOP. There is always someone who is going to be offended by one thing or another. When is it too much?

ThistleMae

I don't know. I recently read a post (on another forum) where people should not let their cats out so they would not eat the wildlife in the area. Pretty sure this person was a vegetarian.
Just a random thought here, but I recently watched Lion King...there is so much killing going on in it! I'm not sure it's appropriate for children.

ThistleMae

This thread made me think of lots of things. Here's one: If I dress up like a pirate for Halloween, am I glorifying pirates? Halloween is slowly slipping away. Many towns just have town hall things for kids. And the actual naming of "Celebrations" ie like Christmas etc. is changing. So are we moving into a better world? Are we evolving and this is just part of the process? I think these discussions are good to have, whether we agree or not, it just shows how different we all are. I can accept you, if you can accept me.

thomas998

I am a vegan and I can promise you that no "vegan" would be offended by a lion eating a zebra, as that is how lions eat, they are high on the food chain and zebras are considered "prey" for a lion....

The world is changing. Things that were acceptable then are not anymore, and Disney World has a responsibility to change and evolve with it, otherwise 20 years down the line EPCOT and Tomorrowland will become Yesterland...

I feel pretty neutral either way and I love the original scene, however it might be nice to see some change in the ride and see what is brought with it. A lady captain would be pretty awesome especially for the younger kids.
So giving girls female criminals as role models is what you think would be a good idea... Okay.

Hayley In Wonderland

So giving girls female criminals as role models is what you think would be a good idea... Okay.
Did you literally not read my last sentence?

You're on a ride about Pirates. The whole thing is based around criminals. If that's how you feel, don't take your children on a PIRATE themed ride. Looking at it from your "perspective" then, you'd rather your daughter grow up thinking it's acceptable for her to be auctioned off as a wife to the highest bidder? It's acceptable for boys to have male criminals as role models? If it's okay for males to see this, why can't we have a female pirate?

thomas998

It's a woman in position of power rather than being in a position of weakness... don't see anything wrong with that.
Did you literally not read my last sentence?

You're on a ride about Pirates. The whole thing is based around criminals. If that's how you feel, don't take your children on a PIRATE themed ride. Looking at it from your "perspective" then, you'd rather your daughter grow up thinking it's acceptable for her to be auctioned off as a wife to the highest bidder? It's acceptable for boys to have male criminals as role models? If it's okay for males to see this, why can't we have a female pirate?
I guess it is because I don't believe in revisionist history. At the time of pirates women were really seen as the equivalent of cattle. Not a good thing, but historically that was the way it was. I see no point in trying to wallpaper over reality just to make people today feel better, my daughters know full well that had they been born 200 years ago their life would have been very bad. What would be gained from acting like that wasn't the way it was long long ago.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I guess it is because I don't believe in revisionist history. At the time of pirates women were really seen as the equivalent of cattle. Not a good thing, but historically that was the way it was. I see no point in trying to wallpaper over reality just to make people today feel better, my daughters know full well that had they been born 200 years ago their life would have been very bad. What would be gained from acting like that wasn't the way it was long long ago.

Again, WDW is a theme park and not a history museum.

Hayley In Wonderland

The story of POTC (at least in the films which is what nowadays make it so popular) is fictional. The pirates turn into skeletons, theres an island that exists on the "other side of the horizon" and Jack Sparrow is a fictional character. Yes there are some characters based off of history, but the majority of the now movies POTC is fictional. Therefore the ride does not have to be "historically accurate" imo.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Exactly, and that's part of the joke -- instead of dreading being "sold into slavery," the Redhead appears to actually look forward to her new role, and is primping and posing to make herself appealing to her captors. Those poor pirates don't know what they're in for...

thomas998

The story of POTC (at least in the films which is what nowadays make it so popular) is fictional. The pirates turn into skeletons, theres an island that exists on the "other side of the horizon" and Jack Sparrow is a fictional character. Yes there are some characters based off of history, but the majority of the now movies POTC is fictional. Therefore the ride does not have to be "historically accurate" imo.

You are absolutely right. It is just a theme park and they could throw F16 fighter planes in there strafing the pirates ships... but then that would be completely ridiculous which is what I view your suggestions of making the women look like something they were not. If you want to see Wonder Woman I think she pops up now and again at Six Flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom