Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

loveofamouse

Thanks for the info.

I was actually - that was a new type of creature and the presence of the "Fish People" were explained in the plot of the movie.

I obviously haven't seen Pirates 4 so I don't know how the zombies are going to play a part. I never saw Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but I know that many complained about the inexplicable addition of aliens to that story - my hope is that zombies aren't just inserted into the film for the sake of adding zombies.

Just like others have said, ALL of the IJ artifacts were WAY out there and based in stories similar to old legends. Aliens are deeply rooted in ancient cultures.

I don't buy that. The 2 biggest movies of all time (Avatar & Titanic) were released in December. The first 2 Twilight movies were released in November and December and made over $1 billion worldwide.

As I said (and I may be wrong), but Tron is what is known in the movie industry as a "front loaded" film, meaning the majority of people that are going to see it are going to see it opening weekend. It will likely make it to $100 million. Might hit the $130 million mark. Certainly not enough to warrant an attraction based on it, and given it's budget, likely might not get the planned sequels. Disney has been advertising this movie for over 1 year. There's no telling how much money they spent on advertising.

FTR, it had the 143rd biggest opening weekend ever. I have a feeling, Disney was hoping for a slightly better number than that.

Yes, Titanic was huge in its day but how much did it gross that first weekend?
With the Twilight series, you are talking about a series with such a huge book fanbase prior to the movies that there were already millions anticipating its release. Might I also add that the first Twilight movie was a flop. lol. Many fans were upset by the directing and production of the film. Yet, they continued to repeatedly see it and purchase the DVD as it was the only visual for the 1st book. Im one of those fans ;) lol

TalkingHead

I could not agree with you more. I could never understand the vitriol directed at that last Indy over the aliens. In Raiders, they open the arc and if you look at the light you are instantly incinerated. How is that more plausible then aliens?

That movie was a failure for many reasons other than implausibility. Horrible script, for starters.

CThaddeus

I could not agree with you more. I could never understand the vitriol directed at that last Indy over the aliens. In Raiders, they open the arc and if you look at the light you are instantly incinerated. How is that more plausible then aliens?

I was fine with the alien aspect - it felt logical to me, considering the look of the crystal skulls. My two biggest beefs were with the Tarzan monkey-boy scene and the ants that consume a person in seconds. Both may be plausible, but for me they pushed the movie to a point where, although I still like the film overall, it ended up being my least favorite of the four.

_Scar

They probably should have spent more money on story editing when considering the FAILING rating it's getting on Rotten Tomatoes.... compared to Tangled's solid 88%..... who woulda thought?

I'm re-considering seeing this movie in theaters now =/

captainkidd

Might I also add that the first Twilight movie was a flop. lol. Many fans were upset by the directing and production of the film. Yet, they continued to repeatedly see it and purchase the DVD as it was the only visual for the 1st book. Im one of those fans ;) lol

Huh? It made $393 million on a budget of $37 million, and was the biggest selling DVD of the year.

Every time I see that movie on cable, I think the directing is better. You're never going to please everyone when a film is derived from a book.

flavious27

We've heard the rumors of preliminary development of a TRON attraction.

As people begin to see the movie, I wonder if you think the film will be a good candidate for an attraction.

Unfortunately, after seeing it myself and reading the (mostly bad) reviews, I just don't think TRON will have the shelf life to warrant an attraction. By the time a ride or show would open in 3-5 years, I think there will not be much enthusiasm for it, among guests and park executives.

I agree with most reviewers that the story and characters are pretty bad. I just don't see Jack Sparrow-sized crowds lining up to get a photo with C.L.U. (although a rubberhead walkaround character might look more realistic than the CGI version)

The only redeeming qualities of the movie (and they're quite redeeming) are the visual environments and the soundtrack.

If the parks were to ever develop something from TRON, I believe it would be something like a makeover of Tomorrowland, with blue and orange neon lights and Daft Punk music. Just as The African Queen inspired the Jungle Cruise (but is not a direct copy) I think Disney could decorate with TRON elements (similar to DCA's ElecTRONica) that would have universal appeal.

But unfortunately I just don't see this movie spawning a must-see attraction that guests will travel to experience and park execs will want to fund.

Your thoughts?

A nighttime parade of sorts with Tron would be better than characters walking though the park during the day.

Also, I hope that they develop tron mouse ears.

devoy1701

Those are the same ears that we got for the year of a million dreams, but more expensive and some cloth tron image on the front. Proper Tron ears would have blue el wire around the ears and maybe the base.

seriosuly. those are really craptacular and expensive limited edition ears.

devoy1701

exactly, half of those things are going to be ending up on e-bay, the other half are going to be tucked away in people's le disney merch closet.

you know. I don't mind spending good money on some good merchandise. I myself own alot of Olszewski Main Street Miniatures and have fallen in love with half of the things sold in the Art of Disney store (I have my eye on the Amazon Queen Jungle Cruise LE Replica right now :D), but it's crappy merchandise like those Tron ears that really make me sick with most Disney Parks Merchandise They could have made something pretty spectacular with those if they tried!

flavious27

you know. I don't mind spending good money on some good merchandise. I myself own alot of Olszewski Main Street Miniatures and have fallen in love with half of the things sold in the Art of Disney store (I have my eye on the Amazon Queen Jungle Cruise LE Replica right now :D), but it's crappy merchandise like those Tron ears that really make me sick with most Disney Parks Merchandise They could have made something pretty spectacular with those if they tried!

If I had the extra 30k, I would so get that crystal Cinderella castle.

tirian

I'll be watching it in a few hours, but this conversation (although not a new one) got me wondering. What is the lowest "rated" Disney movie which still got an attraction out of it?

I'm thinking like Mr. Toad or Splash Mountain, but more recently than that?

Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show?

"The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" and "Song of the South" were critical and commercial successes in their day. "Hunchback" pleased critics, if not audiences.

JimboJones123

I now own several pieced of Disneyland merch. I really wish some quality stuff would show up at WDW as well. The Tiki Room stuff was AMAZING!

flavious27

"The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" and "Song of the South" were critical and commercial successes in their day. "Hunchback" pleased critics, if not audiences.

Well there was a section of the animation courtyard devoted to home on the range.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom