Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

redshoesrock

I saw in IMAX 3D and I personally thought it was a great movie. I thought the special effects were outstanding, I had no problems with any of the acting, the soundtrack by Daft Punk was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G (I bought it the next day and am listening to it now while typing this) and I even agreed with the underlying philosophy and message of the story - which I won't talk about here because it would lead to spoilers. A good outing for first time director Joesph Kosinski - I look forward to his next movie, which might be the Tron Legacy sequel that has been green-lighted for awhile now:

http://www.slashfilm.com/screenwriters-return-for-tron-legacy-sequel/

Based on how happy Disney is with how Tron Legacy has turned out, and based on how much money it makes worldwide (which by early estimates seems to be an awful lot), I'd say a Tron ride is at least on the drawing board or being pitched as we speak. Now whether or not Disney will go through with it is a different story, but there's plenty to work with for making a ride.

Disneyson 1

^Yes!

I actually LOVED the movie; mostly great characters (Quorra <3, Clu amazing, Flynn a little one-dimensional but fun), amazing score, outstanding special effects, and a nice story. I just wish there was more to it.

A Tomorrowland attraction (or some attraction where you get sucked into the grid) could be AMAZING... hopefully light cycles are utilized, but there were so many great vehicles in the movie that could translate VERY well to ride vehicles.

Maerj

I've been seeng some of the criticism about story and I just read this at aintitcoolnews and I think that it sums it up pretty well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47791

Here is an excerpt, but the whole thing is worth reading:

There is a basic axiom of storytelling that states that the higher the concept of your story, the simpler the elements of your story need to be. As complexity approaches infinity, the audience capable of wrapping their mind around it approaches zero, thus you need to do something to meet them halfway, especially when you are looking to expose as broad an audience as possible to some fairly high minded concepts. If your story is about a simple family living in modern suburbia, the complexity of the relationships, the oddness of the characters and the depth of the story all need to be dense enough to carry along such an ordinary situation. And if your story is about a world of ones and zeroes, presenting physical representations of abstract concepts, while wrestling with an allegory for one of the greatest ethical social quandaries of the modern era – and you want to sell it to kids – then, yeah, your film needs to be a little lighter on story.

CThaddeus

If people are looking for mindless escapism, then they've certainly got "Yogi Bear." But, after just coming back from the theater, I have to say I was very impressed with "TRON: Legacy." I was afraid they would screw it up and just make it some silly 2010 camp version of the original. I think, however, they succeeded in bringing back something that many (not myself, though) thought was dead and gone. Yes, it wasn't perfect - for example, what the heck was Dillenger's son doing on the Encom Board of Directors? Who would let him in that company, let alone rise him to that level? Overall, however, I was very happy with what I saw...and heard. I thought the acting was fine, as well. I think Disney's biggest mis-step with this film, however, was in not re-releasing the original "TRON" to DVD and Blu-Ray to get the movie back in the public consciousness. There's a 28-year gap there! Yes, it did come out on DVD 8 years ago, but very few rental places even have it anymore (I'm glad I bought it back then!). Worse still, most of the CMs I heard from at ElecTRONica had never even seen the first film! Disney didn't have the sense to have a screening for their employees so they could talk knowledgeably about it!
As for its chances to become a permanent attraction at one of the Parks - I hope so. Since Tomorrowland isn't really "Tomorrow" anymore, I'm fine with it going there. It looks futuristic, so unlike something completely wrong for the land, like Monsters, Inc. (WDW) or Finding Nemo (Disneyland), I'd be there with a big dopey grin on my face, ready to enter the game grid of TRON.

Thrill Seeker

I'll be watching it in a few hours, but this conversation (although not a new one) got me wondering. What is the lowest "rated" Disney movie which still got an attraction out of it?

I'm thinking like Mr. Toad or Splash Mountain, but more recently than that?

Hunchback of Notre Dame stage show?

Well, considering Song of the South won a couple Acadamy Awards (technical achievement and song, I believe) and is unfortunately not available for the public to watch, it was a great move to base an attraction on the characters from the film.

It probably has to be Toad, which is also why it was chosen to leave to put in Pooh (I'm still mad about that one).

Thrill Seeker

I've been seeng some of the criticism about story and I just read this at aintitcoolnews and I think that it sums it up pretty well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47791

Here is an excerpt, but the whole thing is worth reading:

There is a basic axiom of storytelling that states that the higher the concept of your story, the simpler the elements of your story need to be. As complexity approaches infinity, the audience capable of wrapping their mind around it approaches zero, thus you need to do something to meet them halfway, especially when you are looking to expose as broad an audience as possible to some fairly high minded concepts. If your story is about a simple family living in modern suburbia, the complexity of the relationships, the oddness of the characters and the depth of the story all need to be dense enough to carry along such an ordinary situation. And if your story is about a world of ones and zeroes, presenting physical representations of abstract concepts, while wrestling with an allegory for one of the greatest ethical social quandaries of the modern era – and you want to sell it to kids – then, yeah, your film needs to be a little lighter on story.

It's not really a movie for kids. The plot of the original was an adult oriented thing, as is the sequel. The kiddies may want to see the lightcycles and disc fights, but it's not a kiddie movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Personally, I loved it. I thought most of the shortcomings the critics stated were incorrect. There were some iffy plot elements, but those are only noticeable if you are looking for them.

As far as an attraction goes, I've said it many times and I'll say it again: Bring Tron to Epcot. It's a pretty solid fit in the whole Future World scheme and can have a somewhat educational angle attached about how a computer works. Replace Wonders with Tron and not only do you have yourself another shiny new E-ticket, but you also have a new reason to bring crowds to Epcot besides the older stuff...

Thrill Seeker

Sure they can. Don't forget this is Christmas Break, the biggest two straight weeks of movie profiteering. Do I think they will get it? Who knows, but its not out of the question.

As for lowest performing and critic reviewed films getting attractions based on them, I would go with the teacups.

Considering it only really has Gulliver's Travels and Little Fockers to compete with for Christmas weekend, I think Tron has a great chance of raking in the Cash much like Avatar did last year. It's gonna make a ton of money.

loveofamouse

I think the important thing to remember when it comes to attractions is it's not how big the movie was, it's how good can the attraction be. A big attraction doesn't have to come from a great movie. Look at ToT. It just needs to be a good attraction. Tron has good roots to spawn a ride. Great effects and theming ideas. In fact, if they make a good enough attraction, it could spawn more sales for the movie.

loveofamouse

For those of you who have seen it now, do you think it's okay for a 5yr old to see? I think my son would love the coloring and lights and bad guy deal. I just want to make sure there are no ______ scenes. I'm pretty lenient about what movies my kids see cause, honestly, at this age, he's not getting the innuendos or anything. It's purely visual for them. I want to see it in 3D.

Disday

See the Deadline Hollywood blog today. It explains how the TRON take isn't doing so well. However, it does say that Tangled is doing good.:dazzle:

Animaniac93-98

For those of you who have seen it now, do you think it's okay for a 5yr old to see? I think my son would love the coloring and lights and bad guy deal. I just want to make sure there are no ______ scenes. I'm pretty lenient about what movies my kids see cause, honestly, at this age, he's not getting the innuendos or anything. It's purely visual for them. I want to see it in 3D.

The movie is rated PG for "sequences of sci-fi action violence and brief mild language" the latter of which I think was one word. Gore and blood are essentially non existent and s*x is never brought up.

I think it's fine for a 5 year old and kids 7-12 would love it.

Animaniac93-98

See the Deadline Hollywood blog today. It explains how the TRON take isn't doing so well. However, it does say that Tangled is doing good.:dazzle:

Interestingly Yogi Bear didn't meet expectations either and Narnia 3 is still disappointing too. TRON's apparent total for those wondering was $43.6 million. Box Office Mojo did however, report that TRON: Legacy sold "about as many" tickets in it's first day of release than the original did over its opening weekend.

Tangled has at least made more than Enchanted now.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The movie is rated PG for "sequences of sci-fi action violence and brief mild language" the latter of which I think was one word. Gore and blood are essentially non existent and s*x is never brought up.

I think it's fine for a 5 year old and kids 7-12 would love it.

Yeah, I don't even think Sam and Quorra kiss during the whole movie.

Maerj

It did pretty well for the weekend. Good word of mouth will only help it do more business next weekend. Maybe you didn't care for the film but other people are really enjoying it.

sschroed

Oops, we have a bomb!

:veryconfu
Oops, we have a bomb!
"Tron: Legacy," a costly 3D sci-fi movie that Walt Disney Co has promoted for more than three years, took the top spot at the North American box office, but with a disappointing weekend haul of $43.6 million, according to estimates issued by the company on Sunday.
Industry observers had been expecting a three-day start in the $50 million range. As openings go this year, the massively hyped sequel to an obscure 1982 movie failed to crack the top-10, and observers have said it will need to rely on strong overseas business to break even.
According to reports, the effects-laden update cost $170 million to make, and more than $100 million to market worldwide. Disney, despite being a public company, is the only studio that refuses to divulge budgets. A studio executive was not immediately available for comment.

RonAnnArbor

Not surprising -- and no it won't pick up business as the weeks go along -- word of mouth is middling at best, and next weekend Little Fockers is going to rock the movie weekend to a 60Million plus opening dropping Tron even further down.

Anecdotally, I saw it at our Local multiplex on Friday -- the IMAX theater was about 1/3 sold for a late afternoon showing. The theater had 10:30 am IMAX showings on Saturday and SUnday. At 10:30, there were as many people buying tickets to The Fighter on Saturday as there were to Tron...completely different movies...and the families with kids were heading to Yogi Bear, not Tron. Today, I saw Black Swan and it was about 75 percent sold for the morning show...far more people than went to see Tron in Imax at the showing I saw. Just subjective observations, but probably pretty representational of where the audiences went this weekend. I saw three movies. One was Tron. I didn't see Tron three times (which I did with Avatar last year when it opened the first weekend).

Look, I didn't hate the movie, and I would never bad mouth it -- but I also wouldn't recommend it, nor would I see it a second time. Teenage word of mouth is going to be different from Adult word of mouth...and ultimately, it is going to fade away pretty fast.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Tron will limp to 100 million in domestic box office. The movie generated no excitement, despite a 100 milion dollar advertising campaign. What a huge swing and miss for Walt Disney Studios. And word of mouth is decent right now, but not going to be enough to power Tron to any type of major haul. This movie will be an after thought soon enough, and hopefully they don't burden the parks with a Tron attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom