Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

EpcotServo

Ah yes, now we have the solid number that isn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination that will be called a "bomb" by people who don't like it and "promising" by people who do.

All that leaves us with is the fact it's a great movie and will be for as long as movies exist.

Weather you like it or not, TRON Legacy will be a favorite and an inspiration for a very, very long time just like the original film.

(And seriously, no film "limps" to 100 MILLION DOLLARS.)

RSoxNo1

Sure they can. Don't forget this is Christmas Break, the biggest two straight weeks of movie profiteering. Do I think they will get it? Who knows, but its not out of the question.

As for lowest performing and critic reviewed films getting attractions based on them, I would go with the teacups.

Sorry, It's not going to happen. It's opening weekend of $43.6 million was only slightly more than the first day for Alice in Wonderland ($40.8 million). Oddly enough, I enjoyed Tron more.

For those of you who have seen it now, do you think it's okay for a 5yr old to see? I think my son would love the coloring and lights and bad guy deal. I just want to make sure there are no ______ scenes. I'm pretty lenient about what movies my kids see cause, honestly, at this age, he's not getting the innuendos or anything. It's purely visual for them. I want to see it in 3D.

It'd definitely ok for a 5 year old to see.

The movie is rated PG for "sequences of sci-fi action violence and brief mild language" the latter of which I think was one word. Gore and blood are essentially non existent and s*x is never brought up.

I think it's fine for a 5 year old and kids 7-12 would love it.

Yeah, I don't even think Sam and Quorra kiss during the whole movie.

They didn't.

It did pretty well for the weekend. Good word of mouth will only help it do more business next weekend. Maybe you didn't care for the film but other people are really enjoying it.

Nah, this was a flop by all accounts.

My biggest complaint with this movie comes as someone that hasn't seen the original. The movie is titled "Tron" and yet the biggest issue is that the Tron character doesn't get a full back story, and while significant Tron isn't the prominent character in the movie.

Both my fiance and I expected some sort of grand unmasking that would explain something, but there was nothing of the sort (I expect some fans of the original may explain what I'm missing).

JimboJones123

It was released the same weekend as Avatar for a reason. The only competition Christmas week is Fockers. Gulliver will take any post Yogi money.

Guess what - There are NO wide releases New Years weekend.

The plan was a 3 week big release. The hope is that this number will triple over the next two weekends which would bring the total to $120 million.

Sure, that is only a fraction of Avatar money, but Tron should hold a pretty large chunk of 3D theaters with only Gulliver taking theaters away, more from Yogi and Tangled than Tron.

It is WAY too early to write this movie off. If it dips by 55% next weekend and sells nothing during the holiday week, then we can talk bomb.

Maerj

Ah yes, now we have the solid number that isn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination that will be called a "bomb" by people who don't like it and "promising" by people who do.

All that leaves us with is the fact it's a great movie and will be for as long as movies exist.

Weather you like it or not, TRON Legacy will be a favorite and an inspiration for a very, very long time just like the original film.

Yeah you're right but unfortunately there are some "people" out there who just hate the movie for no reason. Why I don't but there are.

Brian Noble

It's opening weekend of $43.6 million was only slightly more than the first day for Alice in Wonderland ($40.8 million). Oddly enough, I enjoyed Tron more.
It is tricky to compare releases at different times of year. This is traditionally not a big release week; everyone's running around trying to finish their holiday tasks off. Boxofficemojo paints the opening as halfway decent. Jimbo's on the money: if it holds halfway decently through the holiday, then it's in okay shape. If it doesn't, then it's not.

JimboJones123

Yeah you're right but unfortunately there are some "people" out there who just hate the movie for no reason. Why I don't but there are.

I think they should go and watch a Pixar movie about a rat before they feel that they are qualified to be a critic.

wayneway

I saw Tron Legacy in Digital 3d today, I agree with most, story was "ok" and the visuals and sound were great. I can only imagine what it would be like to have never seen the original and to have seen the new one only to go back and watch the original after the new one, anyway I'm not sure Disney's plan on a three year promotion for the movie was the best idea, hard to live up to three years of hype....still a cool movie.

JimboJones123

I saw Tron Legacy in Digital 3d today, I agree with most, story was "ok" and the visuals and sound were great. I can only imagine what it would be like to have never seen the original and to have seen the new one only to go back and watch the original after the new one, anyway I'm not sure Disney's plan on a three year promotion for the movie was the best idea, hard to live up to three years of hype....still a cool movie.

You would probably think the original was pretty lame if judged by today's unreasonable moviegoing standards.

Courtney1188

Pirates makeover? :shrug:

There's Pocahontas and her Forest Friends, if you count that.

At any rate, the cyber-riots against placing Tron in Tomorrowland will probably convince them not to go forward with it. God forbid if it doesn't take place in the future!

While the Pirates movies might not have been rated so great, they made TONS of money for Disney! Over $653 million to be specific.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
RottenTomatoes.com has 49% of critics liking it, but 79% of the rest of us liking it. I think that's pretty good

Typically if critics hate a movie, I enjoy it. Anyway, it might get good word of mouth and go for another few weeks with decent money.

Disday

I haven't seen the new TRON movie, but I plan to see it. Changing the subject a bit, I think that the Thor trailer looks soo much better than the one for the new Pirates film.:)

Next Big Thing

Sorry, It's not going to happen. It's opening weekend of $43.6 million was only slightly more than the first day for Alice in Wonderland ($40.8 million). Oddly enough, I enjoyed Tron more.
I'd agree with you if it was any other time of year. As he said, it's christmas break time. I just recently read a article that stated how during any other time of year EXCEPT christmas break period after the opening weekend, the studio can predict what the final gross will be for any given movie. The reason being for that is obviously because kids are out of school and many adults take vacation from work. TRON could easily EXCEED the $43.6M that it got this past weekend next weekend. You honestly never know. There aren't that many great movies (with blockbuster type qualities to them) coming out until The Green Hornet on 1/14/11 so TRON could easily have some good staying power for awhile.

Next Big Thing

RottenTomatoes.com has 49% of critics liking it, but 79% of the rest of us liking it. I think that's pretty good

Typically if critics hate a movie, I enjoy it. Anyway, it might get good word of mouth and go for another few weeks with decent money.
And on top of that, CinemaScore audiences are rating TRON an B+ (Younger audiences are giving it an A-).

TalkingHead

Actually only 31% of "Top Critics" liked it (I don't know why RT bothers with the other critical aggregate), which maybe supports the point you're trying to make.

The movie doesn't need to be a hit to have a great attraction come from it. I don't see them being about to use Tron as a name drop but I do see how a great attraction could come from it. I could see an awesome thrill ride or something that could take over HISTA. A Tron 4-D show could really be cool. Kind of like Terminator at Universal.

Next Big Thing

The movie doesn't need to be a hit to have a great attraction come from it. I don't see them being about to use Tron as a name drop but I do see how a great attraction could come from it. I could see an awesome thrill ride or something that could take over HISTA. A Tron 4-D show could really be cool. Kind of like Terminator at Universal.
Exactly. It always bugs me how everything has to either be a huge blockbuster or it gets nothing. Whether Tron does great or not in theaters, I guarantee it will make for a great attraction and it could probably be something that would sell a decent amount of merch too.

Crazy Harry

I was unimpressed by the film. Some of the effects were impressive, but a lot of the movie, like the original, consisted of people walking around in neon-striped clothes and talking about nonsense. I think Disney has a moderate box office success, but not a game-changing, sequel-generating, cultural phenomenon (like Pirates and Captain Jack Sparrow) on their hands. I vote thumbs-down on an attraction based on a film that will be forgotten or even mocked (like Dinosaur) in a decade.

How is it you think that tron will be forgotten when it is a sequel to a film made 28 years ago? This would illustrate, for better or worse, that it is not forgetable :hammer: Not only is there a sequel and many video games, but countless references in pop culture spanning everything from the simpsons and family guy to car commericals and a Strokes music video. Certainly Tron is not as forgettable as you claim...

Now, it is obvious you did not like either film, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bothered when people overstate their personal opinion as fact. Just because you are unimpressed does not mean everyone will feel the same way, just as 28 years of pop culture would suggest for the original. It also seems unfair to me when people bash films that they do not understand. Just because you personally do not understand the film does not make it bad. I recall someone else on the boards saying of the original that they did not understand the story but at the same time characterized it as 'weak'. Tron is not jiberish as you say, and is more than people running around in neon striped outfits.

Tron challenges our perception of reality, challenges the things we take for granted, such as the work of a computer program. Mostly, we understand just that it does what it is supposed to and not how it works. So exactly how does it work? Is it simply current folling through circuits, or a whole world as living and complex as our own. Interesting also are the parelells between the Tron world and the ‘real world’ in terms of religion. The programs, made in the image of their creator, take orders from a mostly unseen source, although contain the freewill in some instances to reject the commands of their creator and even persecute those who believe in and follow the creator. Other programs fight for the ‘users’. An interesting point in the new film is that Kevin Flynn asks his program Clu to create the perfect system. Since perfection is such a subjective term and arguably impossible, Clu relies on his own understanding of this request which involves overthrowing his user and even resorting to dictatorship and genocide. This is just scratching the surface of the themes and story in Tron.

Certainly also saying that ‘some of the effects were impressive’ is simply an understatement. This is one of the few things most people can say definitively is that the visuals are incredible. Now, as much as I have defended Tron, I will also admit that the new film is flawed. That was not enough to disuade me, but I can certainly understand how it might detract others. The middle of the film has a serious lull and pacing issues, and the story could be stronger. My argument to that is two fold: the visuals act as a story elemnt considering the computer world in the new film is created by Kevin Flynn, and that the history of the story is more important than what is presently taking place, but this could just be a personal justification to like the story despite a lacking. This aside, Tron is more complex than some claim.

It always perplexes me when people say they don’t understand the film(s) or that its hard to follow, so just ask me and I’ll explain it.

I hope Tron does well enough to spawn sequels as well as an attraction. The environment is perfect for a themepark ride. And depending on how the ride is done, a story could be created specifically for the ride, or may not be neccisary and instead mostly relying on thrill and visuals for entertainment.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Of course a film can limp to 100 million dollars. Assume Tron has a 65% drop this coming weekend (it will)...Now you are at somewhere around 70 Million. Then over the next 4 or 5 weeks it slowly works its way to around 100 million where it stalls out. Barely recouping advertising costs. That is limping.

As for it being a great movie. That is just your individual opinion, most people disagree. It is visual eye candy with nothing behind it. I am glad you enjoyed the movie. But to declare it a hit, when all signs point to it being a break even venture at best, thats just silly.

captainkidd

It did pretty well for the weekend. Good word of mouth will only help it do more business next weekend. Maybe you didn't care for the film but other people are really enjoying it.

$43 million, these days isn't anything spectacular, especially for a film that had a $200 million budget. This will be a very front loaded film, meaning most people who wanted to see it, saw it already. It's not the type of movie that "good word of mouth" will help.

Plus, you have to take into consideration, tickets for Tron were generally more expensive than other films out there since it was in many IMAX theatres and many 3D theatres. Trust me, the execs at Disney are holding their breath and praying that this doesn't take a nose dive next week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom