Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

JimboJones123

Actually, Tron has already made about half of Enchanted's domestic box office in less than 1 week of release so don't count it out just yet.

BEGIN RANT: I don't really understand why the Disney community is being so critical/pessimistic about Tron's box office success. :mad: I find it a little hypocritical that these criticisms are targeted only at Tron when we could very well apply them to Tangled as well but instead Tangled is hailed as a success. In fact, if we applied this same logic to Tangled, it should be labeled as a flop taking into consideration that it is the 2nd most expensive film ever made and also that it won't make back it's budget solely from it's domestic run. (Personally, I liked both films and think they are both great successes for Disney) END OF RANT

No kidding. The very few of us cheerleading this movie do it through love of the original, the mouse, and understanding that this is VERY MUCH a relevant and acceptable follow up to the original. It spoke to its target audience, and the target audience has responded with enthusiasm. The haters wanted to hate from the beginning. The film was never going to sell itself to them. I can understand those disappointed, but the final product is nothing worth going on assault against.

flavious27

Not surprising -- and no it won't pick up business as the weeks go along -- word of mouth is middling at best, and next weekend Little Fockers is going to rock the movie weekend to a 60Million plus opening dropping Tron even further down.

Anecdotally, I saw it at our Local multiplex on Friday -- the IMAX theater was about 1/3 sold for a late afternoon showing. The theater had 10:30 am IMAX showings on Saturday and SUnday. At 10:30, there were as many people buying tickets to The Fighter on Saturday as there were to Tron...completely different movies...and the families with kids were heading to Yogi Bear, not Tron. Today, I saw Black Swan and it was about 75 percent sold for the morning show...far more people than went to see Tron in Imax at the showing I saw. Just subjective observations, but probably pretty representational of where the audiences went this weekend. I saw three movies. One was Tron. I didn't see Tron three times (which I did with Avatar last year when it opened the first weekend).

Look, I didn't hate the movie, and I would never bad mouth it -- but I also wouldn't recommend it, nor would I see it a second time. Teenage word of mouth is going to be different from Adult word of mouth...and ultimately, it is going to fade away pretty fast.

The meet the parents franchise is the movie equivalent of two and a half men, it is mindless jokes that people love because they can't think for themselves.

JimboJones123

The meet the parents franchise is the movie equivalent of two and a half men, it is mindless jokes that people love because they can't think for themselves.

Weiner jokes are the highest level of humor, especially when they are made around children in the show/movie where those weiner jokes are most inappropriate.

T-1MILLION

If somehow a Tron Lightcycle themed ride ever did happen as a coaster/dark ride form I would love to see emebded LEDs and Fiberoptics in track and vehicle. So when a vehicle travels in the dark and others on the track around you it would leave a streak for a moment until the track is ready for the next vehicles. This way it is the illusion with a black track of painting the grid with light. Just a thought.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If somehow a Tron Lightcycle themed ride ever did happen as a coaster/dark ride form I would love to see emebded LEDs and Fiberoptics in track and vehicle. So when a vehicle travels in the dark and others on the track around you it would leave a streak for a moment until the track is ready for the next vehicles. This way it is the illusion with a black track of painting the grid with light. Just a thought.

Hmm, like Space Mountain...until this year

flavious27

Well any ride from tron has to be with the lightcycles and use el as much as possible, I think that that will make the ride last. There are different ways to achieve this and different ride systems that can be used, but this is Disney and they need something that pushes the limits and is new. They could use a group of simulators, there's is the trackless systems that can have the ride vehicles racing each other; I don't know if a traditional coaster or track system can be used to make near 90 degree turns.

captainkidd

I just saw the movie as my oldest wanted to see it. It was just as bad as the original, just with updated special effects.

How Jeff Bridges could have made that and "True Grit", which was a masterpiece, at the same time, is beyond me.

Next Big Thing

I just saw the movie as my oldest wanted to see it. It was just as bad as the original, just with updated special effects.

How Jeff Bridges could have made that and "True Grit", which was a masterpiece, at the same time, is beyond me.
Wow, not sure what you were watching. I thought it was great and has actually been wrongly criticized in a few areas (weak plot, digitized Clu). While i'll say the plot in general is sort of mediocre, it goes WAY deeper than just the plot as it may come off (in many scenes actually) and it also sets up nicely for a possible sequel. I also think the complaints about Clu looking weird are rediculous. I thought he looked pretty normal and I had no problem with it at all throughout. That's not to mention the many past sci-fi movie reference throughout, plus the original tron. There were countless references throughout the whole movie. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it was definitely a fun movie and worth seeing in my opinion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow - That's deep. I'm a hater because I didn't like the movie.

Am I a lover because I liked "True Grit"?

A chum of mine said Tron was visually stimulating, but just not a great film overall. He gave it a go and simply didn't care for it. I wouldn't consider him a "hater" either, rather an amatuer connoisseur of films who knows what he likes.

But he also loved True Grit, and as much as I enjoyed the original I can't wait to see the new version.....

Crazy Harry

Wow - That's deep. I'm a hater because I didn't like the movie.

Am I a lover because I liked "True Grit"?

But you didn't say that you didn't like the movie, but rather you said it IS bad. To say something IS something is definetive and denying it could be something different to someone else. Not everyone has to like Tron and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it would be nice to have specific reasons why it was not liked to further facilitate the discussion. It is my theory that some don't like the film simply because they do not understand the concept, story, and themes behind the film. Simply saying it was 'bad' or 'aweful' is just as invalid as saying it was 'good' or 'amazing' because we are at that point denying the alternate interpretations of others, but most of us are guilty of this at some point.

redshoesrock

But you didn't say that you didn't like the movie, but rather you said it IS bad. To say something IS something is definetive and denying it could be something different to someone else. Not everyone has to like Tron and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it would be nice to have specific reasons why it was not liked to further facilitate the discussion. It is my theory that some don't like the film simply because they do not understand the concept, story, and themes behind the film. Simply saying it was 'bad' or 'aweful' is just as invalid as saying it was 'good' or 'amazing' because we are at that point denying the alternate interpretations of others, but most of us are guilty of this at some point.

Amen.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I'm relatively certain we all knew he was giving his opinion, regardless of how he framed it....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom