Cast Member Pay

Jim Chandler

Right now the difference in COL is 3% higher in orlando if coming from Houston. However Orlando is 37% cheaper than LA. Also if you live outside of Orlando Houston becomes more equal and LA becomes even more expensive

J_Carioca

But in the end, every person working there is free to use what skills they have to get a better job with more pay somewhere else. If you can find one person that has no prospects beyond their job at Disney I would be surprised. How much money the company makes doesn't matter in the least to the employee so long as the company is able to continue making good on the pay checks. No where is it written that employees are entitled to pay based on the profitability of the company they work for, nor should it ever be that way. Is there something stopping those employees from purchasing shares of Disney?

Yeah, I would suspect that "something" might be the fact that they're living on less than $8 an hour?

Timekeeper

Typically, yes, they do get paid better. I think it said on the website that the starting rate for look-alike roles is 12.40/hr. I say 'typically' because my friend works at "The Great Movie" ride and she gets paid the same hourly rate (7.83/hr more or less) for the acting roles implemented on that ride too.

This is similar to performers who actually work in the entertainment department at Universal versus having to spiel in attractions like Jaws or Kongfrontation, which were not entertainment department roles (even though the argument can be made that they did more "performing" than most of the entertainment personnel.) Roles like those characters in Terminator, on the other hand, are overseen by entertainment, and make more money (especially when you factor in break time between sets and stunt pay).

sweetpee_1993

Right now the difference in COL is 3% higher in orlando if coming from Houston. However Orlando is 37% cheaper than LA. Also if you live outside of Orlando Houston becomes more equal and LA becomes even more expensive

3% less COL plus 3 times the pay. Not moving to Orlando in the foreseeable future. ;)

**edit**
Just talked to the husband. It's been a while since he's looked at any postings for that area but based on what he knows if he worked in/around WDW doing the same type work (piping/engineering-type stuff) he'd make between 1/4 to 1/3 what he currently does. It's less than 1/3 for sure.

donaldtoo

Speaking from very recent personal experience, I can tell you that the vast majority of CM pay is actually pretty insulting. But, it's Disney and they know they have most people by the short hairs when it comes to them wanting to work there.
I was in management and was told that I was in a position to be groomed to move up to the next level. When I inquired about what that would entail as far as a raise in pay was concerned, I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle.
Thankfully, the contract architectural work (as well as as many as 2 other retail jobs at the same time) I had been doing on the side for the last 9 or so months for my old firm recently turned back into a full time position again with them, and I was able to quit the other retail job I had and drop back to a regular CM position working only late Friday and Saturday and Sunday shifts.
I really love working there, but the pay is just so inadequate.

jmb2676

If I remember correctly, when I worked there in 1995-96 I was making something like $5.70 an hour. I was lucky enough to be able to get a ton of overtime as that was right before the CP blew up in popularity. Most weeks I worked 6 days with the 6th day being time and a half and usually extended an hour or two every day for more ot. It wasn't much but was enough to pay rent (with roomates), buy food/beer and hang out at PI most nights.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
My source says...
Attractions - $7.95
CP in Entertainment - $8.40
Ultimately, you get paid what you agreed to get paid.
I will say this, though: over at Universal, the team-member dining locations do NOT make a profit off of the food; they charge roughly what it costs. That's definitely not how it is at Disney...

Bloopers

May I ask why you work there, especially since it takes you so long to get there? Is it for the experience? My son (a HS junior) makes minimum wage at a pizza place ($7.25 per hour) but he can walk to it. Seems like a lot of hard work, not to mention what you have to put up with everyday... which is much appreciated by our family... we have experienced nothing but the best customer service in our trips to WDW, so thank you!

Working at Disney keeps me a bit sane, as weird as that sounds. My life revolves around school and it drives me nuts sometimes. If I could be a cast member and do what I'm doing now and make good money, I honestly would probably not be in college.

I don't think I could work at a pizza place or a fast food restaurant. I like it at Disney cause it's a new experience everyday - I'm always learning something new and meeting people from different places around the world has been fun. I can't do repetitive jobs. Oh, and I love my co-workers! Also, 80% of my job consists of just interacting with guests. The other 20% is ringing items up and wrapping ornaments, LOL.

hollywoodj

A friend who works in entertainment makes $9.45/ hour and I think they get a very minimal raise each year (like 20 cents or so) so I definitely don't think that's a fair pay. Especially considering competitor pay (universal employees make about 11 starting in the same positions) and compared to "face" characters who arguably do less/equal the amount of work as "fur" performers... It's stupid. Like others have said, you know what you're gonna make when you get hired and have options to go elsewhere, a lot of people just love the company. It doesn't mean they can't complain about their wages; I think that Disney cast members would be of the quality they were a decade ago if they were paid reasonably.

Bloopers

These days it's not just Disney. My son, a college grad, has been working at the same place (large grocery chain) for 5 or 6 years. He makes just above minimum and is begging for full time.

"Begging for full time" LOL that made me laugh. And yeah, it's tough these days. A college degree doesn't even guarantee you a job. Sometimes I wonder why I'm in college. All I'm graduating with is a bunch of loans and a piece of a paper. Really depends on the major too, but with my major, it's kinda tough. You can never tell.

I know many older folks work part time for a little spending money, they love Disney and the ability to help family get into the parks free but even that I told is less than it used to be. Also many work there on internships from colleges. They work in the hotels for istance as they plana career in hospitality having Disney on your résumé is priceless after you graduate. Just like any other company I'm sure there are those who wish to work there to make a living and go through exactly what many of us did in our careers hoping for that promotion and raises.

Yeah, half of the people in my store are older folks that works part-time and they treat it like a hobby. A lady I know has her own business, one is a teacher, and others are retired. Really, they don't need to be working, but they like it. I honestly can't see myself quitting at Disney anytime soon. I'm aiming for another job in the healthcare field, but I would probably just go seasonal instead of quitting once I get all my ducks in a row.

The wife is a nurse practitioner and I'm a nuclear medicine technologist.

Since you're in the healthcare industry, maybe you can give me some insight? What are the jobs in healthcare administration like (wherever you live?) Are there a lot of opportunities available? It's what I'm majoring in and as I'm searching for jobs, I feel kinda hopeless with no practical experience. They always says there's always jobs in the healthcare field, but I feel like it's only the clinical side of it. I'm desperate to get a job in the hospital, but it's tough... I'm about to be done with my Bachelors and I'll be continuing with a Masters next fall, however, I don't know if this major is worth getting a Masters in anymore. Maybe I need to change career paths, yet again. It seems like a great fit for me, I just can't seem to find an opportunity anywhere.

Jim Chandler

Since you're in the healthcare industry, maybe you can give me some insight? What are the jobs in healthcare administration like (wherever you live?) Are there a lot of opportunities available? It's what I'm majoring in and as I'm searching for jobs, I feel kinda hopeless with no practical experience. They always says there's always jobs in the healthcare field, but I feel like it's only the clinical side of it. I'm desperate to get a job in the hospital, but it's tough... I'm about to be done with my Bachelors and I'll be continuing with a Masters next fall, however, I don't know if this major is worth getting a Masters in anymore. Maybe I need to change career paths, yet again. It seems like a great fit for me, I just can't seem to find an opportunity anywhere.[/quote]

I only will say one thing FOLLOW YOUR PASSION where ever it takes you. If you do that the money will not matter as much and you will be happy doing what you love.

thomas998

Folks it is called free choice no employee any where is forced to work anywhere they think they do not get paid enough.
Sadly many people appear to think that the world "owes" them something for nothing more than the fact that they exist. When I was growing up you worked hard and got rewarded for it, if you were a lazy bum you got nothing.... I suppose it all starts in elementary school now where no one is allowed to invite their friends to a birthday party unless they invite the entire class... doesn't matter if little Billy the Bully has been stealing your lunch money you are still supposed to invite them too... And when those people have been brainwashed for 12 years they end up thinking that everyone is "owed" large pay and that it isn't something earned.

FireChiefGoofy

I believe a bus driver is one of the higher paid, if not the highest, of the entry level positions. It also requires having the appropriate license.

I started driving the bus in October 2012 and it was $10.90 to start. Anything over 8 hours in one day is overtime and we get shift differencial for late nights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom