Cast Member Pay

tissandtully

How do CM's live on such wages down there with the cost of living so high? I'm assuming the easy answer would be roommates. But still, Central Fla is notorious for having some of the most outrageous rents in America (just behind NYC & NJ). Yet up there...wages at least attempt to keep constant with cost of living (in most cases). But in central Fla, it is mostly service industry, and workers get paid crumbs.

Do you have a source for this data? Florida is generally less expensive to live due to no state income tax. I've lived here a while and though I don't rent anymore, it didn't seem all that outrageous when I was.

G00fyDad

Do you have a source for this data? Florida is generally less expensive to live due to no state income tax. I've lived here a while and though I don't rent anymore, it didn't seem all that outrageous when I was.

I've lived there as well, and now coming from a state (Indiana) that has the average worker making $8 or $9 per hour and barely cutting it, I can tell you that the cost of living in Florida is too high for $9/hr. It was a shock to us when we moved there from Indiana back then to see how much more everything was. When we moved back up to Indiana it was such a relief to my parents to see, what they considered to be, normal pricing compared to the earnings again.

sweetpee_1993

That'd be the reason I would work there. There was a time before going into criminal justice that I considered getting an engineering degree and trying for a job at Disney Imagineering. I'm good with that kind of thing, but I didn;t hold out too much hope for landing that job and that job would have been my sole reason for going that route.

My husband works in engineering and looked at a job at WDW once many years ago. They just don't pay enough there even for engineering types. Similar positions there make a fraction of what he makes in Houston which typically carries the highest pay for his profession. If I recall, when he told me how much the job at WDW was going to pay I laughed. It was really obscenely low.

These are about the rates CM's get:
Merchandise 7.83
Attractions: 8.13
F&B: 8.25 non tip/4 something tipped position (but they make the best money in WDW)
Managers: 4-600 per week

Characters make around 10.

The rates for hourly CM's havent been raised for about 3 years.

This I believe. I know a server in the MK and, believe me, he makes a decent living. In talking with him a few years back he told me he had a friend who also was a server in a different MK restaurant who cleared 6-digits the previous year. Of course, the friend had to work a lot of extra shifts to do it but it was possible. That's pretty remarkable considering their hourly wage. You know?

Jim Chandler

I know many older folks work part time for a little spending money, they love Disney and the ability to help family get into the parks free but even that I told is less than it used to be. Also many work there on internships from colleges. They work in the hotels for istance as they plana career in hospitality having Disney on your résumé is priceless after you graduate. Just like any other company I'm sure there are those who wish to work there to make a living and go through exactly what many of us did in our careers hoping for that promotion and raises.

coilback

To answer a previous question, MOST of the apartments surrounding the parks are rent controlled, so the rent is a bit cheaper. I lucked out and managed to get one right before I went full time as a tech. They only check your previous pay stubs so with only making CP money, it looked like I made enough to get under the maximum, but after I got my Ent Tech job, I would've been making waaay more, but they don't check after you are in.

thomas998

While it is interesting to know what the average pay was for a CM 30 years ago... a more telling question would be what was the average cost to Disney for a CM 30 year ago vs today. What many people don't realize is that increases in government taxes, in insurance costs and other items the employee never sees have risen more than you would expect. Often a worker that makes under 50,000 a year costs the company more than $100,000 a year because of all the added on costs the employee never sees. When you realize that the company was willing to pay that greater amount, the reality is the company doesn't care if the money goes to the employee or the government it is gone... wouldn't it be nice if companies could make the payments to the employees and not bother with any of the insanely stupid add-ons.

graphite1326

The only people that gets paid well are the ones in air conditioned rooms sitting on their butts all day :rolleyes:

I'm in school so I'm treating the job as a hobby, however, I know people who are working at that rate and trying to make a living from it. IDK how they do it. I know a girl who depends on Disney to make a living and she's a part-time cast member.. been trying to get 'promoted' to full time for quite a while already.

These days it's not just Disney. My son, a college grad, has been working at the same place (large grocery chain) for 5 or 6 years. He makes just above minimum and is begging for full time.

All Disney All The Time

It would be wonderful to land a professional job at Disney! But yeah, it's not easy to get one. That's funny, criminal justice was my major at one point. What's your job right now?

I changed my majors so many times. Biology --> Criminal Justice --> Psychology --> Healthcare Administration

Always wondered what all the Disney fanatics on this board does for a living, LOL.
The wife is a nurse practitioner and I'm a nuclear medicine technologist.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
My husband works in engineering and looked at a job at WDW once many years ago. They just don't pay enough there even for engineering types. Similar positions there make a fraction of what he makes in Houston which typically carries the highest pay for his profession. If I recall, when he told me how much the job at WDW was going to pay I laughed. It was really obscenely low.
I've also looked into an engineering job at WDW before, and while I wouldn't call it obscenely low (for someone with a PE it's about what most engineers would make in Orlando working at a typical design firm), it would have been a step down pay wise. But, you get to see all the MAGIC, so I guess that would make up for it...:rolleyes:

sweetpee_1993

I've also looked into an engineering job at WDW before, and while I wouldn't call it obscenely low (for someone with a PE it's about what most engineers would make in Orlando working at a typical design firm), it would have been a step down pay wise. But, you get to see all the MAGIC, so I guess that would make up for it...:rolleyes:

Like I said, it was many years ago. We were living in Louisiana at the time. From there the job at WDW was a step down. We've been in Texas for 6 years now. When we moved here the husband almost doubled his pay. In 6 years that's increased a bit, too. So, moving to Central Florida would be a step down from half the wage my old man currently makes. You can't eat Magic. LOL!

thomas998

They all get paid too little IMHO considering the billion dollar industry that DISNEY is.:mad:

But in the end, every person working there is free to use what skills they have to get a better job with more pay somewhere else. If you can find one person that has no prospects beyond their job at Disney I would be surprised. How much money the company makes doesn't matter in the least to the employee so long as the company is able to continue making good on the pay checks. No where is it written that employees are entitled to pay based on the profitability of the company they work for, nor should it ever be that way. Is there something stopping those employees from purchasing shares of Disney?

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Like I said, it was many years ago. We were living in Louisiana at the time. From there the job at WDW was a step down. We've been in Texas for 6 years now. When we moved here the husband almost doubled his pay. In 6 years that's increased a bit, too. So, moving to Central Florida would be a step down from half the wage my old man currently makes. You can't eat Magic. LOL!
Houston seems to be one of the hot markets right now for engineering, but I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me if I attempted to move her further from her happy place!

sweetpee_1993

h
Houston seems to be one of the hot markets right now for engineering, but I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me if I attempted to move her further from her happy place!

I hear ya. Believe me, Houston isn't our first choice of geography. We have no intention of being here forever. For now the opportunity to see & do more, to take our boys on great adventures is an acceptable trade-off. Who knows when or if that'll tip in another direction.

I don't know that I'd ever want to be frontline cast at WDW no matter the pay. I wouldn't have the patience and I'm sure I'd kill the magic for someone. The low pay would have to make it a secondary income, not primary.

jwutony16

When I worked there in 2003 I was paid 6 dollars an hour. I had to pay 60 dollars a week at Vista Way and you were able to charge your lunches to your cast id. So you figure you eat a meal every shift you work, sometimes I owed disney money. You do not work there to make money, you go to make magic. ( and meet tons of woman, my god it was the best)

DfromATX

h

I hear ya. Believe me, Houston isn't our first choice of geography. We have no intention of being here forever. For now the opportunity to see & do more, to take our boys on great adventures is an acceptable trade-off. Who knows when or if that'll tip in another direction.
quote]

Small world...I was born and raised in Houston, but I've been in Austin 20 years last summer. My-oh-my has Houston changed since I left! My husband's office (also engineering) doesn't have much work right now and there is talk about sending the employees to other offices, one being in Houston. We are praying that never happens cause we don't wanna leave Austin! Either way, I'm a Texas girl, so I'd never move out of the state anyway. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom