Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

Scuttle

I must be becoming such an old fogey. This just looks torturous to me, shirtless, soaking wet, screaming kids, not at a water park. My family will be avoiding this at all costs.

I agree! I've been against this since day one. WDW has two water parks for this sort of activity. This is a bit overboard for the MK IMO.

bunnyman

Wow people sure do love to complain on these boards! This attraction was designed for KIDS and they seem to LOVE it. Its very detailed so i dont see anything "six flags" about it. To the people complaining about the kids being soaking wet, its HOT in the summer. Theres nothing wrong with a water play area to get cooled off and the summer heat can dry you up pretty quickly. I mean come on are you guys really that bored that you have to complain about a play area for KIDS? I agree about the fence, it wasnt the greatest idea but the OP already stated that they are aware of that and are tryng to fix it! Your complaining isn;t speeding up the process. If you dislike it so much then just don't experience it!

Right on, couldn’t agree more. Something else I was thinking about. Lots of people are complaining about kids getting wet and then getting on other rides and soaking seats. I don’t know about you, but I’ve gotten pretty soaked on Splash Mountain (late at night stayed on and rode three straight times with nothing dry left on me) and Kali River Rapids (had water plunge land right in my lap), and I’m sure I’ve subsequently left wet spots on benches, ride seats, etc. So let’s stop berating children for having fun! After all, we’re talking about the Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom here, not some thrill ride coaster park. It’s for the kids!

jumblue

So should this ADA thing pass, can we expect:

f1kRK.jpg

Tom

Beta Return
So should this ADA thing pass, can we expect:

f1kRK.jpg

MOST of the pending water-related ADA changes are geared toward public facilities (read: government), but some also affect all water-related facilities. It's an absolute mess, and nobody knows what's going on or when it will land.

But no, at this time, waterslides and attractions like that do not need to meet any ADA requirements. Pools, however, must now have 2 means of egress for mobility-challenged individuals, meaning they need a 0-entry area AND a portable handicap lift that dips down in the water to pick people up out of the pool.

I just bought one for the lazy river. They're a little salty, and some of our local pools almost had to shut down for the summer because they couldn't afford one. The legislation was then delayed again and a grace period was added.

Absolute nonsense.

devoy1701

Thanks for the insight Tom.

I don't think anybody wants to be that person who stands up against the ADA and says it's gone too far. Talk about a quick way to become infamous. I'm not sure what can be done about it.

HM Spectre

I took my kids to the local playground the other day. They had a swell time. They got dirty, they got wet, they climbed and they ran and they played.

They had a great time, really they did. But as I was sitting on a bench nearby, I was thinking to myself: 'you know, somebody ought to build a place where parents and kids can have fun together...'

This! The additions that bother me most are the ones that appeal to a very narrow demographic (Casey Jr., M&Gs, etc) because of that principle; that the parks should appeal to mostly everyone, both kids and big kids (adults). Stuff like Casey Jr. might be great for kids but parents end up just sitting around watching them most of the time. Now don't get me wrong, I loved that kind of thing as a kid and I think it totally has its place in other parks like the water parks, just not in places that were intended to have mass appeal.

ToTBellHop

This! The additions that bother me most are the ones that appeal to a very narrow demographic (Casey Jr., M&Gs, etc) because of that principle; that the parks should appeal to mostly everyone, both kids and big kids (adults). Stuff like Casey Jr. might be great for kids but parents end up just sitting around watching them most of the time. Now don't get me wrong, I loved that kind of thing as a kid and I think it totally has its place in other parks like the water parks, just not in places that were intended to have mass appeal.

Are you not a parent? Sit around and watch the kids? More like get a break and get to sit on a bench while the kids burn off some energy and smile at the fact that the kids are having so much fun. Then, smile at each other and say "hunny, let's do this again next year." Most parents will not be bored while watching their kids enjoying this offering. They'll enjoy having 10 minutes to relax instead of the usual--standing in lines roasting.

devoy1701

Are you not a parent? Sit around and watch the kids? More like get a break and get to sit on a bench while the kids burn off some energy and smile at the fact that the kids are having so much fun. Then, smile at each other and say "hunny, let's do this again next year." Most parents will not be bored while watching their kids enjoying this offering. They'll enjoy having 10 minutes to relax instead of the usual--standing in lines roasting.
If they use this as a spot for a WDW Promo this fall I will hate you forever. Planing vacations around a water play area....sheesh! o_O

Atomicmickey

A travel agent once told me that surveys show that small children's favorite thing
at WDW was consistently "the pool". Maybe this will give "the pool" some competition.

lazyboy97o

Do you think I don't realize he was playing off of Walt's words? I've just seen too many people on here with regards to this area and the new Dumbo queue complaining that "Nice, it's a place where my kids can have fun and I get to sit and do nothing." Or "This area is not for me, so therefore I hate it". Well, if you have kids, there is no reason that this area can not be for you as well.
In the case of Dumbo, Disney themselves touted parents sitting on the bench in the video that was released.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

On our first trip to WDW as a family, we wanted to take our 3 yr old son on Big Thunder Mountain (and others) but he wasn't tall enough. So, he and I sat down, though not on a bench, and watched Mommy go & ride.

An added BTW: My family, including myself, will not join in on the fun in the Splash & Soak area personally. But we may smile at the others who are. We designate a little time for the pool at the resort instead.

orky8

The thing I fail to understand, is all the people who quote the story about Walt watching his kid on a carousel and thinking, gee we should build a place where adults and kids can play together. And by golly, that place that Walt built has the exact same item, a carousel. I don't think Walt meant that every little thing must be enjoyed by all age groups -- that is impossible. And, if that is what he meant, then every ride with a height restriction must be torn out. But there is a place where the family can all have fun together. If the magic kingdom was nothing more than the Casy Jr. Splash and Soak, then fine. But it is one piece of many. And one, that Fantasyland's target audience clearly seems to enjoy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The thing I fail to understand, is all the people who quote the story about Walt watching his kid on a carousel and thinking, gee we should build a place where audlts and kids can play together. And by golly, that place that Walt built has the exact same item, a carousel. I don't think Walt meant that every little thing must be enjoyed by all age groups -- that is impossible. And, if that is what he meant, then every ride with a height restriction must be torn out. But there is a place where the family can all have fun together. If the magic kingdom was nothing more that the Casy Jr. Splash and Soak, then fine. But it is one piece of many. And one, that Fantasyland's target audience clearly seems to enjoy.
Yep I completely agree with you. There is no way a park the size of MK can accommodate all ages and heights on every single attraction.

ellie-badge

The thing I fail to understand, is all the people who quote the story about Walt watching his kid on a carousel and thinking, gee we should build a place where audlts and kids can play together. And by golly, that place that Walt built has the exact same item, a carousel. I don't think Walt meant that every little thing must be enjoyed by all age groups -- that is impossible. And, if that is what he meant, then every ride with a height restriction must be torn out. But there is a place where the family can all have fun together. If the magic kingdom was nothing more that the Casy Jr. Splash and Soak, then fine. But it is one piece of many. And one, that Fantasyland's target audience clearly seems to enjoy.

I was going to write a lengthy reply to all of the naysayers about this very thing, but you pretty much hit the nail right on the head. :)

njDizFan

A travel agent once told me that surveys show that small children's favorite thing
at WDW was consistently "the pool". Maybe this will give "the pool" some competition.
That I can believe. Kids like to be in the pool. Maybe this was the brainchild of someone who thought that if they like water why not let it be somewhere they will spend money

Lucky

That's right - the parks, as a collection of attractions. But not every single attraction can or should try to appeal to everyone.

Buzz Lightbeer

That's cool. And if the new Casey Jr. Sprinkler Train With Unsafe Safety Fence meets your requirements for a fun theme park diversion for $88 per day, then go for it.

Unsafe is your opinion, if Disney thought it was unsafe they would not of opened it, and i must say it really is only a little fence and it would not spoil my $88 day at MK. Now what Disney should of built are train track bumpers and themed them into a fence area (no idea if someone has already said this i have not read whole thread).
27.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom