Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

The Empress Lilly

I took my kids to the local playground the other day. They had a swell time. They got dirty, they got wet, they climbed and they ran and they played.

They had a great time, really they did. But as I was sitting on a bench nearby, I was thinking to myself: 'you know, somebody ought to build a place where parents and kids can have fun together...'

Uncle Lupe

I took my kids to the local playground the other day. They had a swell time. They got dirty, they got wet, they climbed and they ran and they played.

They had a great time, really they did. But as I was sitting on a bench nearby, I was thinking to myself: 'you know, somebody ought to build a place where parents and kids can have fun together...'

You should run with that thought.

AEfx

Am I the only one a little creeped out that someone is taking random photos of other peoples children? :confused:

Yeah, kind of like people following guests around the park to take pictures of their backsides to share and mock online.

TestTrack Dummy

Wow people sure do love to complain on these boards! This attraction was designed for KIDS and they seem to LOVE it. Its very detailed so i dont see anything "six flags" about it. To the people complaining about the kids being soaking wet, its HOT in the summer. Theres nothing wrong with a water play area to get cooled off and the summer heat can dry you up pretty quickly. I mean come on are you guys really that bored that you have to complain about a play area for KIDS? I agree about the fence, it wasnt the greatest idea but the OP already stated that they are aware of that and are tryng to fix it! Your complaining isn;t speeding up the process. If you dislike it so much then just don't experience it!

Patrick_Ears

Wow people sure do love to complain on these boards! This attraction was designed for KIDS and they seem to LOVE it. Its very detailed so i dont see anything "six flags" about it. To the people complaining about the kids being soaking wet, its HOT in the summer. Theres nothing wrong with a water play area to get cooled off and the summer heat can dry you up pretty quickly. I mean come on are you guys really that bored that you have to complain about a play area for KIDS? I agree about the fence, it wasnt the greatest idea but the OP already stated that they are aware of that and are tryng to fix it! Your complaining isn;t speeding up the process. If you dislike it so much then just don't experience it!

Well said!!

C.FERNIE

well said again!

BigThunderMatt

What probably happened here was that it was all designed and mostly built, then the threat of the new ADA changes came out (proposing that ALL water features and amenities must be accessible to all guests), and they frantically came up with the fence in order to comply....in case the law passed.

I'm sorry but the ADA has just gotten completely out of control. I understand the why behind its creation, but things are starting to get more and more out of hand as the years go on. Especially nowadays when every Fatty McFatterson with an eating disorder can somehow manage to get a handicap placard and claim that morbid obesity is a disability.

If we have to start designing every little thing with a question of "Will this be 100% ADA compliant both now and in the future?" we're going to get more and more away from aesthetically pleasing architecture that the parks should be known for, and more towards a 'boy in the plastic bubble' atmosphere where everything is sterile, accessible, and free from the potential for litigation (although in our sue-happy society, people will always find ways to try and hold Disney accountable for things that are in no way their fault).

ExtinctJenn

Add me to the thumbs up on this comment. I was just about to post something similar.

My DS6 was destroyed when we went last year and Pooh's Playful Spot had been shut down. Not because he really cared at all about the tree or the slides but because he loved the tiny fountains that would shoot water up and soak him. Kids + Fountains/Water Squirting/Sprinklers = Joy. Not only is it a way to cool off but kids can run around in a water play area like this forever and it gives parents a great time for a break and photo ops. Some of my favorite shots of my son at the world are of the times he was able to be "free" of queue lines and structure and was just running around being a kid.

I think once the rest of Fantasyland opens and this is just one tiny spot in a huge new area the complaints will improve. Right now it's a huge part of what little is open over there so it's getting a lot of focus. :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

So what stopped you from getting up and playing with your kids? Smartphone? Have some tweets to go through? Am I the only one who plays with my kids at playgrounds, water parks, etc? Try it, it's quite fun.

G00fyDad

So what stopped you from getting up and playing with your kids? Smartphone? Have some tweets to go through? Am I the only one who plays with my kids at playgrounds, water parks, etc? Try it, it's quite fun.

Holy crap. Wow. Put away the smarta** comments. He was playing off the words of Walt back to the time when Walt Disney was sitting on a bench nearby his kids playing. People cannot even make a simple joke on these boards without someone jumping the gun and not understanding them and firing back insults.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Holy crap. Wow. Put away the smarta** comments. He was playing off the words of Walt back to the time when Walt Disney was sitting on a bench nearby his kids playing. God, you're dense! :rolleyes:
Do you think I don't realize he was playing off of Walt's words? I've just seen too many people on here with regards to this area and the new Dumbo queue complaining that "Nice, it's a place where my kids can have fun and I get to sit and do nothing." Or "This area is not for me, so therefore I hate it". Well, if you have kids, there is no reason that this area can not be for you as well.

ExtinctJenn

Everyone's got some emotion around this... and it's so funny too because it's such a tiny part of so much wonderful stuff going on at MK right now. :) The way I see it, if you don't like it, don't worry about it. It's obvious the kids who have experienced it (even if they were pushed through a fence by mommy :mad:) do!

alissafalco

Actually half of the posts in this thread are people who don't like the attraction being there. People calling it white trash, six flags like and posting pictures of a train ride that people want instead of it. There was also a discussion about wet kids on other rides and some references to diarea. I'm not making this stuff up. Read the prior posts.

I doubt anyone would argue that bad parenting is a big problem throughout WDW. It would be ideal if they could just take down the fence but we all know that would be a problem based on the pictures of the kids climbing over the fence.

This is why there are references to diarrhea....

00-casey-jr-rules.jpg

G00fyDad

Do you think I don't realize he was playing off of Walt's words? I've just seen too many people on here with regards to this area and the new Dumbo queue complaining that "Nice, it's a place where my kids can have fun and I get to sit and do nothing." Or "This area is not for me, so therefore I hate it". Well, if you have kids, there is no reason that this area can not be for you as well.

So you're actually expecting people to believe that you said this:
"So what stopped you from getting up and playing with your kids? Smartphone? Have some tweets to go through? Am I the only one who plays with my kids at playgrounds, water parks, etc? Try it, it's quite fun."
after you knew what the other poster was referring to? Bull. Your comment was dripping with sarcasm, and condemnation. No one actually thinks that you knew what he was talking about. No sane person would have responded the way you did if they understood. Nice try. :rolleyes:

I have a wonderful idea here...

For those that hate the fountain, don't go. Stay away and don't even look at it. Don't look at the fountain, the families enjoying themselves, or the children having the time of their lives.

For those that love the fountain, go. Have a wonderful time, and ignore those people giving you dirty looks for enjoying the park's amenities.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So you're actually expecting people to believe that you said this:

after you knew what the other poster was referring to? Bull. Your comment was dripping with sarcasm, and condemnation. No one actually thinks that you knew what he was talking about. No sane person would have responded the way you did if they understood. Nice try. :rolleyes:

Well gawrsh, you sure got me figured out. Exposed me for the idiot that I am. A pox on my household. I'll never set foot in a Disney park again. Consider this one G00fyDad 1 - sshindel 0.

Tom

Beta Return
I'm sorry but the ADA has just gotten completely out of control. I understand the why behind its creation, but things are starting to get more and more out of hand as the years go on. Especially nowadays when every Fatty McFatterson with an eating disorder can somehow manage to get a handicap placard and claim that morbid obesity is a disability.

If we have to start designing every little thing with a question of "Will this be 100% ADA compliant both now and in the future?" we're going to get more and more away from aesthetically pleasing architecture that the parks should be known for, and more towards a 'boy in the plastic bubble' atmosphere where everything is sterile, accessible, and free from the potential for litigation (although in our sue-happy society, people will always find ways to try and hold Disney accountable for things that are in no way their fault).

As one who is affected by ADA regulations every day, I would tend to agree that the Act itself was indeed a noble premise, but just like everything else the government is involved with, it spiraled out of control.

The original concept was to ensure that persons with mobility and vision issues could safely enter, exit and navigate buildings - especially in an emergency. Since then, "disabilities" have been added to the list, and accommodations have been added to the code.

While it too frustrates me that being Super Sized grants you a parking pass that keeps you from having to park more than 20 feet from the door to McDonalds, we can't be so quick to say that every oversized person is that way because they wolf down McBurgers all day. There are medical and genetic conditions that simply cause "fat" to happen.

But with that said, I hope they don't go writing into the law that every doorway has to be 4' wide so that jumbos can get through every door. Right now, minimum widths are set at 36" for doors, purely to allow wheelchair access.

And not everything has to be designed for possible future ADA compliance - only what is currently law when your permit is filed. However, as I've said a few times, water features and pools are under extreme scrutiny right now. Nobody knew if the law would pass at any given moment over the last year...and it was rumored that there would be a clause requiring all water facilities to go back and upgrade within a given time frame, which hasn't happened in any other ADA revision. Thus, everyone reacted to the worst case scenario. In Disney's case, they put up a fence around the part of the water feature that would be considered inaccessible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom