Casey Jr. Being "Reassessed"

wannab@dis

Ok, I have to admit. I'm confused as to why so much hatred for this simple little play area. Would I personally want to get drenched? No. But water + little kids = instant happiness. So it's not meant for me, big deal? And if the parents are ok with the kids getting soaked (cooling off, change of clothes, bathing suit under clothes, whatever) then who am I to judge how they spend their time at Disney?

Also, does everyone forget there's been a fountain splash area at Epcot for years?

Kids in bathing suits, shirtless, shoeless getting drenched. And that's Epcot! If everyone's so cranky about a kids play area in the Circus-themed kiddie area of Fantasyland at MK, why haven't there been huge protests and uproars over the Epcot one? :rolleyes:

Is the fence an issue? Yes. It's not only ugly and potentially dangerous but short-sighted. Do some parents lack ability to actually parent? Of course. We've all seen that at Disney and elsewhere. But to get so upset over the play area's very existence of being seems really silly to me.
Spot on. But, notice it's the same people that complain about everything using the same talking points. Everything pre-1990 gets a pass.

Hopefully they will find something to do with the fence. Remove the fence and the steps and cover up the opening seems a viable solution. If what's been posted is accurate, it sounds like adding one other "climb in" feature that doesn't have steps may allow them to remove the fence if this is truly an ADA issue and not a scared lawyer. But it's a shame the litigious nature of our society has come to a point you have to measure everything based on the possibility of a lawsuit.

orky8

I don't see any fences... :confused:

LOL. True, that fence is the biggest screw-up and abomination of a band-aid since disco Yeti (maybe even worse if the purpose of the fence is for safety reasons because it makes the area less safe). Otherwise, I think the area looks pretty spiffy.

MAF

LOL. True, that fence is the biggest screw-up and abomination of a band-aid since disco Yeti (maybe even worse if the purpose of the fence is for safety reasons because it makes the area less safe). Otherwise, I think the area looks pretty spiffy.

Don't forget the disaster that was Tigger's bouncing place... I mean seriously, do the Imagineers even think things through anymore?

Tom

Beta Return
I don't think that's what is going on here. I think it was more about potential injury than an ADA issue.
There have been, and still are, plenty of attractions and play areas that are not fully accessible to everyone.

But those attractions and play areas weren't water-related or being built during this new massive ADA overhaul. This one fell right smack dab in the middle of an insane legislative battle.

Disney has far more "dangerous" things on property than this little train. Having gone through what I just went through with this mini water park....I'm almost positive they fenced it off for ADA reasons/fears.

alissafalco

Looks like people bring along swimsuits everywhere these days. This, people, is what we call a white trash water park. The only thing more white trash than this are the fountains that kids put swimsuits on and run around it at Downtown Disney.

agree!! they should put a fake fire hydrant with water coming out so the kids can run through, then it would be complete! I wonder how many of those kids have diarrhea??

alissafalco

casey-jr-le-petit-train-du-cirque.jpg

casey-junior-petit-train-du-cirque_1.jpg

Casey jr. train in Paris. Beautiful landscaping, lovely ride. They even have the same Belle's castle that the MK's BatB restaurant is getting.

And no soaked kids! No children running around in their underwear! No trailer park 'get 'em wet' playground area.

Something like this would have been perfect!!!

asianway

Looks like people bring along swimsuits everywhere these days. This, people, is what we call a white trash water park. The only thing more white trash than this are the fountains that kids put swimsuits on and run around it at Downtown Disney.
Speaking of, did you see the entitlest lifestyler who was complaining they booted her kids out to take the PR photos with the professional models?

vinnya1726

Great Idea

Anyone with half a brain knew this was going to happen:

Casey_01.jpg
Mom helps her daughter squeeze through the fence.
Casey_02.jpg
Big guy caught in the act.
Casey_03.jpg
Three in the cab plus one in the tender.
I noticed a group of four or five Disney managers/engineers closely watching Casey Jr. today and I couldn't help but engage them in a conversation about "the fence."

They told me that they're in the process of "reassessing" Casey Jr.

One was quick to agree with me that the fence was a stupid idea. "I told them it wasn't going to work," he said.

I pointed out that because the kids are climbing over the fence, it's actually far more dangerous than having nothing there at all. They said they're worried about getting complaints from guests about Casey Jr. not being ADA compliant if they remove the fence — that handicapped children will also want to climb aboard the train.

I gave them my solution: 1) Remove the fence; 2) Remove the steps leading up to the cab; 3) Close off access to the cab with either metal or clear plexiglas door panels. Two of them said, "Sounds good. Let's do it." Another one added, "If you come back in a couple of weeks and see that we've done exactly that, you can tell everyone it was your idea."

It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with Casey Jr. At the moment, the fence is an accident waiting to happen.

G00fyDad

Ok, I have to admit. I'm confused as to why so much hatred for this simple little play area. Would I personally want to get drenched? No. But water + little kids = instant happiness. So it's not meant for me, big deal? And if the parents are ok with the kids getting soaked (cooling off, change of clothes, bathing suit under clothes, whatever) then who am I to judge how they spend their time at Disney?

Also, does everyone forget there's been a fountain splash area at Epcot for years?

Kids in bathing suits, shirtless, shoeless getting drenched. And that's Epcot! If everyone's so cranky about a kids play area in the Circus-themed kiddie area of Fantasyland at MK, why haven't there been huge protests and uproars over the Epcot one? :rolleyes:

Is the fence an issue? Yes. It's not only ugly and potentially dangerous but short-sighted. Do some parents lack ability to actually parent? Of course. We've all seen that at Disney and elsewhere. But to get so upset over the play area's very existence of being seems really silly to me.

I haven't seen anyone getting upset over it being there. Just the lack of intelligence and lack of responsibility by the parents. No one is "cranky" about the play area. They could have 10 more for all we care. It is the parents obviously breaking rules and showing the kids that it is okay to do so. Well, maybe it wasn't that obvious to some. :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I haven't seen anyone getting upset over it being there. Just the lack of intelligence and lack of responsibility by the parents. No one is "cranky" about the play area. They could have 10 more for all we care. It is the parents obviously breaking rules and showing the kids that it is okay to do so. Well, maybe it wasn't that obvious to some. :rolleyes:

Actually half of the posts in this thread are people who don't like the attraction being there. People calling it white trash, six flags like and posting pictures of a train ride that people want instead of it. There was also a discussion about wet kids on other rides and some references to diarea. I'm not making this stuff up. Read the prior posts.

I doubt anyone would argue that bad parenting is a big problem throughout WDW. It would be ideal if they could just take down the fence but we all know that would be a problem based on the pictures of the kids climbing over the fence.

MissM

Oh really? Are you sure?

How about a few examples from the first 5 pages:

I must be becoming such an old fogey. This just looks torturous to me, shirtless, soaking wet, screaming kids, not at a water park. My family will be avoiding this at all costs.

Exactly. I have always thought having water attractions like this are a poor idea in a theme park. Water park yes. Non water park no.

Exactly, exactly. Just trash this whole thing and get clothes back on these children.

Historically, Water elements in non-water parks have always been a disaster waiting to happen. Why they keep building them is beyond me.

Here's a question, why did this area need to be a splash play area? Why couldn't have been a smaller version like at the entrance to Downtown Disney? They could have had Casey's stack doing the mist and the elephants and monkey occasionally shoot out water. Yes, the kids will still get wet but I don't think you may have the chaos that is there now. I do however agree with the one post that says it Six Flagsish...

I would never let my kids in this thing. Who wants to drag around sopping wet kids in street clothes the rest of the day? Yuck. A little mist is one thing, but this is full on BB or TL wet. And I think all that water trends toward an environment that encourages the wild behavior. All the regular parameters are thrown out the window -- we've got our shoes off, we are either partially disrobed or so wet as to be unpresentable in a regular setting, it's no holds barred pandalerium!!

There are many problems with Casey, but when I first saw the pictures the most obvious problem to me was it is just TOO MUCH WATER!!

Second, have you all watched the videos yet? There is a ton of water coming out. These kids are soaked. I hope that CMs have towels or rags to wipe down the attraction seating. I would be ed if I followed these soaked kids coming off an attraction. They gotta turn the water pressure down some. Too much water coming out. This would be perfect for a water park, but not the Magic Kingdom. Guess we won't be able to use the new bathrooms at Fantasyland Train Station as the floors will be soaked and it will become a changing room.

Third, I totally agree with the no shoes, no shirt, no service policy. Hopefully the parents of these soaked kids will towel them off and put their clothes back on.

You are not an old fogey, you just have good taste and common sense about what is appropriate regarding public decorum.

Those pictures of the screaming half-naked children slipping around the Sprinkler Train look horrifying to me. People pay good money to drag the family to Florida so the kids can play in a sprinkler? o_O

Totally.

This has no place in a Disney park. Good grief.
Tigger's bouncing area 2.0. Looks very "trashy" and Six Flags-esque.

There are more but that seems sufficient. Yeah, it's clearly "obvious" people are ONLY mad about the fence aspect. :rolleyes:

Actually half of the posts in this thread are people who don't like the attraction being there. People calling it white trash, six flags like and posting pictures of a train ride that people want instead of it. There was also a discussion about wet kids on other rides and some references to diarea. I'm not making this stuff up. Read the prior posts.
Exactly.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I stand by my statement. I don't like it. It looks like an utter nightmare to me. It comes off cheap, trashy, and county fairish. I get that kids like it, but kids like playing in refrigerator boxes too, should we plop those down in the MK? This is just appealing to the lowest common denominator.

G00fyDad

I stand by my statement. I don't like it. It looks like an utter nightmare to me. It comes off cheap, trashy, and county fairish. I get that kids like it, but kids like playing in refrigerator boxes too, should we plop those down in the MK? This is just appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Wow. I get what MissM is saying now. This is not built for you. It was built for children and children love this sort of thing. If you don't like it, pass on by and don't get wet. It isn't like it was built with boxes and a garden hose. It is actually very well themed. Although, it could do without the fence around the engine, and the engine could have been built solid instead of allowing access to the cab. These are kids, having the time of their lives in water while at Disney World. Cut them some slack. ;)

Uncle Lupe

The purpose of the ADA is a noble one. But they way the regulations are being enacted and enforced and litigated are not. It is only a matter of time before obesity is a disability (a position the EEOC has already taken).

Many things are already considered a disability even though it is because of their own vices. Not because of a medical issue that they cannot control.

As far as a wet seat on a ride...
I have ridden Dumbo when the seat was wet. It still not fun but I knew it was coming. When you ride in a downpour that is what I expected. My butt was the only part of my body not wet until that moment. Encountering this situation on a nice day would be very annoying.

Due you have to be inside the tent to be in the virtual que? Or can you get signed up then go outside and play, get soaked and go directly on the ride?

wilkeliza

So I don't really want to add to the debate if this is good or trashy because I haven't seen it but I did have one question.

Is a CM allowed to deny access to a child at a ride due to them being soaking wet? I mean there has to be some sort of safety issue if a soaking we child got into a ride. I would think rides like Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion where the cars don't stop could pose a risk for someone who is soaking wet. With Dumbo a puddle might also pose a risk to guest ridding after.

By the time I have ridden stuff when it down pours the CMs have usually been able to wipe down the seats so I've never experienced the wet seat issue before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom