News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

SteamboatJoe

Took some time to skim 60 pages and analyze the concept art. This is what I can conclude in my opinion...

View attachment 808909
  • TSI needed to be changed somehow (Story & Attendance)
  • Rivers did not have to go and this is the biggest mistake Disney has made yet in the current regime
  • The loss of kenetic energy form the river is going to be huge
  • Don't understand the need for snow covered mountains, as it is unnecessary
  • Snow right next to dry aired Frontier tumbleweed landscape?
  • Going to plant a lot more trees separating this from what is existing
  • Feels like Grizzly Peak area and Redwood Trail in DCA recycled with IP put in
  • As some insiders have stated, "this is not over yet" which I take it more undesired changes are on the way
  • How does modern off road vehicles fit into Liberty Square timeline?
  • Think we are going to see LS change as a whole land eventually
  • HOP will change 100% because of our on going political climate
  • Does this keep the speedway or put it on chopping block?
  • This is 100% a merch and Lighting Lane grab for Disney
  • Why does there have to be a giant piston on top of the mountain viewable from so many other lands
  • If the 90% of you don't like this, (I don't either) then have you already written an email to multiple departments & people? I did before writing on this forum.
The perspective and scale in the concept art is strange to me. The path over to Big Thunder looks to start just north of the riverboat dock in line with the path that leads into Fantasyland (which makes sense).

But despite looking relatively straight, it looks to terminate at the far northern end of Big Thunder where the canal to backstage is. However, if you actually draw a relatively straight line from Columbia Harbor House/Momento Mori to Big Thunder, you end up roughly at the old designated smoking area (old canoe launch?) at the Big Thunder exit (again makes sense).

I guess that just means the northern half of ROA is Villains (as opposed to the area immediately north of Mansion).

lazyboy97o

This^

They cram those rafts. Every time I’ve taken one there’s been at least 25 people not including the driver. And idk how many trips across they take an hour, but it’s at least 4-5. It’s way more than 400 per day.
It was one of many blind technical claims intended as a trump card. Like people making random, baseless claims about building codes. People aren’t supposed to know whether the numbers make sense, just stop criticizing because it sounds plausible and technical.

The Chatbox Ghost

No one can explain why ROA/TSI should even remain other than it’s already there. The place is a ghost town.
Many people already have explained why
* They add a scenic and quiet retreat
* They add a play area for small children, something MK has been losing more and more of
* The riverboat is a relaxing scenic ride for people of all ages and sizes
* They add beautiful scenic views from the mainland park and give it a sense of natural beauty- since, you know, it’s a PARK
* They work as a thematic transition from LS to Frontierland
* They make the areas adjacent to them feel more open/have breathing room- without them the Frontierland street will feel more claustrophobic and cramped
* Having TSI, the Riverboat, AND Cars adds more capacity than having only Cars

Sure, they’re not the most popular attractions. But they provide so much for the park that people don’t realize. Even if you don’t do them, you’re still getting something out of them.

EPCOTCenterLover

Is it that difficult for you to believe that there are people that feel differently than you? The answer is we must all be paid? The island and river is not something my family and I care about and we’ve been going for 40 years. Im excited for something new and that doesn’t mean I’m paid by Disney.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Of course, people might feel differently. BUT because they waited until after D23 to do the full reveal, they certainly knew there would be some backlash. And how do you overcome that these days? Use social media. I'm just saying it is a possibility.

Quietmouse

Didnt walt say somethink like "the park shouldn't me a museum and should continue to evolve"?

People are too attached to their memories, especially of when they were kids, and hate seeing things change from when they were little/young adults.

I get it, likewise, kids nowadays don't care about the boat. They don't care about the island. They might go once on a first time visit, but no one is entering magic kingdom and saying, "man oh man, can't wait to go to tom sawyer island today".

I don't know the logistics, but I doubt the ridership is all that high, and I am sure disney is operating at loss when it comes to the maintenance and expenses of running the boat each day, paying cast members to operate the boat, paying clean up crews to clean the boat, and also applying some level of maintenance/landscaping to the island as well.

UNCgolf

No one can explain why ROA/TSI should even remain other than it’s already there. The place is a ghost town.

TSI can go IMO, but Liberty Square and Frontierland as currently designed simply won't work without the river there. They'll need to be completely overhauled without the waterfront because everything will feel strange/out of place.

I don't know why they didn't just leave a small river, dock the riverboat there, and have the waterfront remain as-is just for that fronting stretch of LS and Frontierland.

docnabox

Took some time to skim 60 pages and analyze the concept art. This is what I can conclude in my opinion...

View attachment 808909
  • TSI needed to be changed somehow (Story & Attendance)
  • Rivers did not have to go and this is the biggest mistake Disney has made yet in the current regime
  • The loss of kenetic energy form the river is going to be huge
  • Don't understand the need for snow covered mountains, as it is unnecessary
  • Snow right next to dry aired Frontier tumbleweed landscape?
  • Going to plant a lot more trees separating this from what is existing
  • Feels like Grizzly Peak area and Redwood Trail in DCA recycled with IP put in
  • As some insiders have stated, "this is not over yet" which I take it more undesired changes are on the way
  • How does modern off road vehicles fit into Liberty Square timeline?
  • Think we are going to see LS change as a whole land eventually
  • HOP will change 100% because of our on going political climate
  • Does this keep the speedway or put it on chopping block?
  • This is 100% a merch and Lighting Lane grab for Disney
  • Why does there have to be a giant piston on top of the mountain viewable from so many other lands
  • If the 90% of you don't like this, (I don't either) then have you already written an email to multiple departments & people? I did before writing on this forum.
I agree with so many of these thoughts and had some of them myself. The show capped peaks? I guess they are going for the Rockies. But if they are the Rockies they should be much bigger and there is no room for forced perspective here. The fake snow might work in a place like Blizzard beach where snow and ice are the theme but here it stands out like a sore thumb.

And the piston? Ugh.

I also think this means the Speedway’s days are numbered and yes, LS is going to get the boot at some point too, in my opinion.

Tha Realest

This is an absolutely hilarious comment. 15,000 people a day for two rides across even a short, ten hour day would be absolutely atrocious capacity and nowhere near worth the cost.
So did some back of the envelope math. RSR’s theoretical hourly capacity is about 1,500 per hour. Let’s say they get ten good working hours in a day - not unreasonable given finicky nature of RSR and the Florida weather. That’s about 15,000 just for that ride. Unclear what the other ride will be, or it’s throughput capacity, but that’s a lot of money and effort (build cost plus environmental expenses) for this increase.

phillip9698

Many people already have explained why
* They add a scenic and quiet retreat
* They add a play area for small children, something MK has been losing more and more of
* The riverboat is a relaxing scenic ride for people of all ages and sizes
* They add beautiful scenic views from the mainland park and give it a sense of natural beauty- since, you know, it’s a PARK
* They work as a thematic transition from LS to Frontierland
* They make the areas adjacent to them feel more open/have breathing room- without them the Frontierland street will feel more claustrophobic and cramped
* Having TSI, the Riverboat, AND Cars adds more capacity than having only Cars

Sure, they’re not the most popular attractions. But they provide so much for the park that people don’t realize. Even if you don’t do them, you’re still getting something out of them.

All of that would be true…………………if people actually went there.

Actual used capacity is better than theoretical capacity. It doesn’t matter how many people attractions can theoretically handle if people don’t want to experience them!

There is a betting chance that there are more posts in this topic about losing that area than people who actually went there today.

UNCgolf

I was thinking more along the lines of the Tiki Room “Under New Management fiasco, the removal of 20k Leagues Submarine mistake at WDW and at Disneyland the Light Magic “Parade” replacing the iconic Main Street Electrical Parade and Rocket Rods replacing the People Mover.

Oh you meant the 90s!

The 90s still had some good, but yes, they made all kinds of attraction mistakes that decade and into the early 2000s.

DisCOT_97

Dunno if this is the place for armchair imagineering but since they love IP so much, they could take a play out of Universal’s book and make a 5th gate that somehow loosely ties a bunch of unrelated IP together. My silly idea has always been a mashup of the old Discovery bay and Tokyo Sea parks, making each IP land a futuristic port connected to a steampunk main area… The point still stands, the IP only lands do not belong at the castle parks.

Quietmouse

Dunno if this is the place for armchair imagineering but since they love IP so much, they could take a play out of Universal’s book and make a 5th gate that somehow loosely ties a bunch of unrelated IP together. My silly idea has always been a mashup of the old Discovery bay and Tokyo Sea parks, making each IP land a futuristic port connected to a steampunk main area… The point still stands, the IP only lands do not belong at the castle parks.
Then what is fantasy land?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom