News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
genuine question, why is there such a distaste for attractions associated with ips?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Disney land in part originally built by Walt Disney to promote his work in animation and promote then via attractions in a theme park ??

I understand there were a lot of original attractions as well ( but obviously some were also based off popular novel - book based - ips), but couldn’t one argue that Disney at the same time in the 50s didn’t have as huge of a catalogue film wise to make every single ride a movie based attraction?

I guess my point being is, there seems to be a lot of tug and war between rides being connected to ips. 20k leagues under the sea, journey to the center of the earth, these are some super beloved attractions but they are also based off ips.

So is it more about not like what Disney as a whole is producing animation wise lately and that’s why we hate when they are connected to ips?

Because y’all don’t seem to throw a fit about 20k leagues or journey to the center of the earth ?

I don't have a problem with IP specifically, my problem is that they way things seem to work now is that specific IP's are being forced on Imagineering and the puts constraints on the creativity they could have in developing attractions.

invader

genuine question, why is there such a distaste for attractions associated with ips?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Disney land in part originally built by Walt Disney to promote his work in animation and promote then via attractions in a theme park ??

I understand there were a lot of original attractions as well ( but obviously some were also based off popular novel - book based - ips), but couldn’t one argue that Disney at the same time in the 50s didn’t have as huge of a catalogue film wise to make every single ride a movie based attraction?

I guess my point being is, there seems to be a lot of tug and war between rides being connected to ips. 20k leagues under the sea, journey to the center of the earth, these are some super beloved attractions but they are also based off ips.

So is it more about not like what Disney as a whole is producing animation wise lately and that’s why we hate when they are connected to ips?

Because y’all don’t seem to throw a fit about 20k leagues or journey to the center of the earth ?
It’s about IP/synergy being placed where it wasn’t previously. Disney of yesterday built entire parks and/or areas of parks without IP.

TrainsOfDisney

There are just real, actual operational considerations. A theme park that takes 3 days to see is dumb. Nobody needs or wants that.
Yeah nobody wants Disneyland Park. Haha
Or... It's an island that gets 400 visitors a day being replaced by two rides that will be experienced by 15,000 a day.
it’s definitely more than 400 per day. But nice try :)

UNCgolf

My thoughts exactly and this has been my fear for a while. They are taking out iconic rides and to be honest, this group doesn’t have enough talent to do that. Imagine if they would’ve removed pirates in the 80s and replaced it with some lame attraction like they were doing back then. This is why I feel they need to build a fifth park to put these things in. Because they’re not doing that, they are having to remove giant sections of one of the most iconic areas in their flagship park. I mean, the Riverboat and the Rivers of America are as classic Disney as it gets and once removed, their not coming back. Walt bought all this land in Central Florida so that he would never have to remove things to build new things. It’s just plain silly to not put these new lands and attractions in a new park. There is room for three or four more theme parks, and the current area that Disney World owns. I mean, even landlocked Disneyland has not removed their rivers of America, riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island. Even with the land being so much of a premium there, they understand not to touch such a signature element of DL.

Wait, they were building lame attractions in the 80s?

Splash Mountain, Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, Horizons, Journey into Imagination, Universe of Energy, the Great Movie Ride... 80s was a golden era!

lazyboy97o

Or... It's an island that gets 400 visitors a day being replaced by two rides that will be experienced by 15,000 a day.

But you know, stir the culture wars pot instead if ya want
This is an absolutely hilarious comment. 15,000 people a day for two rides across even a short, ten hour day would be absolutely atrocious capacity and nowhere near worth the cost.

Tha Realest

But you know, stir the culture wars pot instead if ya want
It’s entirely possible to do each of these things:
1) repurpose TSI footprint towards a more optimal use
2) shorten ROA to retain the current riverfront along LS
3) keep the rest of LS

But that requires a bit of creativity! No one can explain why Carsland can’t coexist alongside Liberty Square with a largely intact ROA separating the two.

jason976

I wonder how many people on this thread actually work for Disney and are paid to defend the decision to remove the island and the river.
Is it that difficult for you to believe that there are people that feel differently than you? The answer is we must all be paid? The island and river is not something my family and I care about and we’ve been going for 40 years. Im excited for something new and that doesn’t mean I’m paid by Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
More information from the Engineering report. This is the coverage for drainage basin L407A-MKRIVCRUN which is the river. The first table is existing, the 2nd proposed. We go from 7.2 acres of water to .82 acres.

1723509146034.png

1723509024235.png

1723509067736.png

the_rich

Feels like it's emptier than the door coaster will be.

Mind you, I don't want it to leave. But I also haven't been in there in my last 20 HS visits, so I'm part of the problem
I'm sure it will have less traffic than the doors coaster. But it isn't on the same level as tsi. It's been mostly full every time I've went. Its serves much more of a purpose in hs than tsi does in mk. And it's not like I have some special affinity for muppets, I just think it'll be a loss of capacity that they don't need.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Who specifically did you reach out to? I’ll definitely make a case for the rivers.
guest.services@disneyworld.com
I called as well
I also know of 3 Imagineers that I wrote emails to (Not sharing addresses)
Would be interesting if somebody would try first and last name email combos for higher ups to see what goes through

If you have a voice people, then use it! Stopped CBJ from going away! But them announcing location today and also dropping permits show how scared/uncaring they are.

SoFloMagic

I'm sure it will have less traffic than the doors coaster. But it isn't on the same level as tsi. It's been mostly full every time I've went. Its serves much more of a purpose in hs than tsi does in mk. And it's not like I have some special affinity for muppets, I just think it'll be a loss of capacity that they don't need.
That's good to hear.

I was a supporter of the animation courtyard location, but the sightlines would likely be terrible if they put it there.

UNCgolf

The other issue is that there's not 1:1 overlap. There are people who would do Muppets who won't do Door Coaster for whatever reason (age, height restriction, motion sickness, etc.), and DHS is already full of thrill rides. It needs more stuff like Muppets; not less.

Sneaky

guest.services@disneyworld.com
I called as well
I also know of 3 Imagineers that I wrote emails to (Not sharing addresses)
Would be interesting if somebody would try first and last name email combos for higher ups to see what goes through

If you have a voice people, then use it! Stopped CBJ from going away! But them announcing location today and also dropping permits show how scared/uncaring they are.
Use it muppetvision too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom