News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

John park hopper

Theme parks historically were parklike, and the park-aspects of them are much of what makes them attractive places to spend time.

Removing heat dissipating and shade providing natural areas and replacing with concrete and rock work will both elevate the temperature and remove places for people to take breaks from the sun.
It's by Disney design --raise the temperature and the guest buys more 5 dollar water and 5.50 soda

JD80

Filling in water is cheap?

Also, they still need water and storm management if they remove the RoA, probably adds a ton more cost to the process.

What do you mean filling in water?

It seems like the back half of RoA is staying, or at least some portion of it. You can "easily" build a drainage system that puts the water into the back half of RoA. Easily compare to diverting/building new canals outside the berm.

October82

Sadly this will probably happen... they will decide it is too expensive after they have already completed demo on ROA and Tom Sawyer's Island, and then readjust plans and build a value engineered version of the ride shown...a scaled down and less impressive version of what it was supposed to be... you know like the new Flex Space Communicore Hall/Community College Cafetorium... I don't feel confident that these plans will come through with current leadership after the EPCOT debacle.
Value engineering the value-store version of RSR is sure to be a winner.

doctornick

Trust in a brand is hard to gain and easy to lose. Repeatedly alienating your most loyal customers can't be good for the bottom-line.

That's what I don't get. They know this is going to off the most loyal fans. They know they have a worsening reputation problem about being "not worth it" and "too expensive". The biggest thing they have to counter that is the legions of fans online who hype up how a Disney trip is something you have to do and it is totally worth it.

Once those folks stop hyping everything - and it's already happening - the parks are going to continue to suffer in reputation.

And it's not like they can't do this in a way that would get people more on board. Tons of us already suggested it in this thread.

andre85

An insider on this thread already indicated that this wasn't even the cheapest option, but was chosen specifically to get rid of RoA/TSI. Other options were available and not pursued.
Just to be clear, I was just making a joke about your use of "boatload" (since they're ditching the steamboat) lol. I know they have the room and it's really surprising to hear this isn't even the cheapest option. Would definitely prefer to keep the river!
Edit: Didn't realize you were the person I had first responded to haha.

Conor.Nam15

This would be nice, but with the rivers tucked so far back, what's even the point? The best part of it is the views from LS/Frontierland. Now there's some race cars blocking the way. I wish they had put Cars on that back half of RoA/TSI and left the main part. It would all fit, I'm pretty sure. You can even keep that shape for Villains and not go out beyond the berm.
I agree… having cars at the back would have been better. But maybe they can build up a new river front area just north of the upcoming cars section? make it very natural, a la national parks… and if they do keep the back look, even shortened, imagine a villains land along the river. could be cool.

it would also allow a section of the rail road to pass through that wooded area along the northwest bank of ROA

SirLink

Why Can't they just put it here instead? Yes, they'd have to re-route Floridian Way, but they could just demo it and use Floridian Place onto Center Drive to access the Reedy Creek Energy Services Complex and move the equipment storage containers over to the west side of Floridian Place behind Reedy Creek Fire Sta. #3. Then they can re-route the Waterway parallel to the East Side of Floridian Place and over to reconnect south of the Dock for the 2nd Riverboat behind the Parade Staging Facilities to the rear of Pirates? That opens up much more than the same size parcel without destroying TSI and RoA which could both be refurbished, and kept for Posterity?

It would cost more money than where they have decided to put it.

JD80

That’s not the key at all. It’s the relationship between things, including the existing ones that are being “protected” because the view would be so obviously jarring.

Can you speak in more detail? The key is to make sure the elements blend properly as you come from Fantasyland to a dark forest to snowy peaks into the desert area. You can do that with a narrow line of sight with trees and "mountains". but It's also got to feel purposeful and open.

Should be fun talking about in the coming years.

Mr. Sullivan

MK is over 50 years old, it deserves nostalgia as well.
Just because it’s 50 years old doesn’t mean that it has a history that dictates being preserved the way Disneyland’s is.

I am WDW goer through and through. I only visited DL for the first time in my life this year. I don’t say this as a DL local who hates WDW.

Disneyland is the park that not just started it all, it is the park that started modern theme parks as we know them. It is the park that all other massive theme parks owe their lives to. It is the park whose design has influenced every Disney park to follow and even ones that aren’t Disney parks. It is the place where the impossible became possible and entertainment changed forever.

Magic Kingdom is not that park.

Magic Kingdom is a little sibling that has struggled its whole life to live up to its older sibling. It was a park that was put into doubt and disarray when Walt died and the people he left behind were unprepared to take it where he maybe would have.

In the timeline where Walt lived, Magic Kingdom is maybe on par or even better than Disneyland. That timeline isn’t this one. It is an inferior park that has struggled for decades to completely escape the shadow of the park that it was modeled after. The best thing they can do for Magic Kingdom is attempt to give it an identity of it’s own rather than being the lesser form the original Disneyland.

Disnseyland deserves it’s preservation because it has earned it. It is living, breathing history. Would we be talking the same way about Magic Kingdom if it weren’t the most visited theme park in the world? Would would be talking about it the same way if say Tokyo Disneyland opened second instead of Magic Kingdom? I don’t think so.

Bigger does not always mean it is worthy of more than the smaller counterpart. Frozen is a much, much, much more successful movie than Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but should we then say that Frozen is a more important thing to keep preserved and remembered than Snow White?

Magenta Panther

Well, I guess it was to be expected. The Robert Iger Company always lives up to the lowest expectations.

My god, I can't believe it. Rivers of America and the Riverboat are being destroyed to sell more Cars merchandise. However you might hate Iger, you can't hate him enough.

The Rivers of America is beautiful, and the Riverboat is a lovely experience. And, best of all, is non-IP. But that, in Iger's eyes, is its great, unforgivable sin.

I hope WDW gets its butt kicked by Universal. I hope it never catches up. This is despicable.

Raineman

I remember one poster replied to a message and said "No this won't be the last straw for anyone." Well, he's wrong. Whatever subsection of pixie-dusters that like this and want to passive-aggressively mock and insult the people who don't like it-please enjoy the space that I will not be occupying anymore. I'd like to thank Disney for giving me a place to enjoy with family over the years, but time to move on.

Chef idea Mickey`=

So no wonder they neglected to mention where the hell Cars Land is going during Mater’s hilarious Zoom call at the keynote. They were too cowardly to even show this map until the whole convention was over! If they know this decision is so unpopular they have to push it back and push it back to avoid potential backlash, why do it at all??
They only wanted to prevent boos and booing and revolt reaction from the crowd to be documented. This also begs to question with Monster's Inc Land not revealing the location of that either is it because of a revolt reaction if it were to replace Muppets Courtyard and not go to Animation Courtyard.(?)

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

I had the same thought! The current concept doesn’t rule this out… I’m hopeful that they plan to save the northern loop of ROA. It would allow big thunder to remain on the water front and they could dock the belle just west of the haunted mansion in a new small extension of liberty square which would transition to villains…

View attachment 808700
1723481636180.png

Tried to modify this layout to have Cars in the back half of the river while keeping that shape for Villains land. Totally possible, and they can even extend further behind Fantasyland if they really want. No train track modification required.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom