News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

michmousefan

There is no doubt in my mind that this Cars attraction will be the #1 most popular attraction across all four parks (at least until Villains opens). Absolutely guaranteed.

The land also looks beautiful, so it will ALSO provide character, atmosphere, and beauty.

They're replacing a beautiful, unpopular thing, with something that will be tremendously popular *and is also beautiful.*
Radiator Springs Racers — particularly at night — is one of the greatest, most beautifully designed attractions WDI has ever created. If they can create a similar ambience for this new attraction, it could be a similar show-stopper.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Honestly, I don't mind the Rivers or TSI being filled in. They look pretty but that's about it for me. If they make it look like the concept art where it's a cozy mountain/forest area that could be just as beautiful.

But I am annoyed that this was all supposed to be "Beyond" BTM & only Villains will be. Use the space more!!!
The fact they won't go beyond the berm is shocking. I know that's what people with insider info were saying but do they really not want to have to move the train tracks again? Who cares if the railroad is down for another few years, it's not worth it to lose the rivers just because we want the train open

DavidDL

It’s not just that the river is gone - that’s bad enough - but the whole area looks so chaotic and noisy. Looping roads, revving engines, snow and dust and water rapids, it’s too much. There’s a serenity to River District that should never be tampered with.

In Disneyland, hearing the sounds of the Mark Twain as you’re walking the park, enjoying a meal, etc. is one of those little, special feelings that makes the park so wonderful. Imagining the loss of something like for those on the East coast is a real downer.

And make no mistake, once this downgrade is finished, Disney will most certainly draw up plans to call on when needed to finish off our rivers someday, too. It may not be Cars and they’d certainly have to take Fantasmic! into consideration but now that they’ve set the precedent, I’m sure our Rivers are doomed, as well.

Hopefully Tokyo never subscribes to this nonsense.

John park hopper

Discovery island was a great side attraction and welcomed respite from the crowds and heat. Disney abandoned it and never did anything with the property. Guess Disney wants the guests to keep moving and and spending money so lets get rid of TSI and ROA.

FiestaFunKid

That's not quite true. If you look at what Universal is developing for Epic Universe and the Kids Resort in Texas, you'll see that they are placing a lot of emphasis on the "park" part of theme parks.

I was referring to the evolution of Universal and Islands - but it does seem like Universal is listening to feedback (less screens, etc). The specs for the new park seem positive in terms of atmosphere, hopefully they keep it as a priority over the years this time.

Quietmouse

The riverboat and Tom Sawyer island is a waste of space. There I said it.

Families spend $ 3500-4000 on average for a 4 day stay at Disney world. Kids want to see rides based off films they watch on Disney plus and when they get to Disney world they immediately want to go on the Anna Elsa ride or the rapunzel ride, or whichever Disney movie they are obsessed with during that time frame. Kids can care less about Tom Sawyer island (they are barely even taught that anymore in school), and will be infinitely more excited for this e ticket attraction (even if the kids aren’t interested in cars it looks like a fun ride from the concept art).

Cars makes sense. It’s still a pretty popular Franchise and can always be returned to an original frontier land racing ip if the cars franchise dies off (which it will in the next 10 years).

Don’t get me wrong I think the river boat is beautiful and Tom Sawyer island adds an extra pocket of nook and cranny space that makes the magic kingdom so special.

That said, theres no real reason to go to Tom Sawyer island. It’s boring, irrelevant to todays culture, and honestly a waste of time if your a family with small kids and have a limited time frame visiting the park.

The river boat is cool to ride on once, especially if you have never been on one before. But if you’re a repeat visitor it’s an easy skip because it’s nothing special.

The real thing that will be missed with beauty of the river. But if there is a legitimate budget attached to this project and the actual product looks anything close to the concept art they selling us, with the snowy mountain scapes and the water elements and the rugged forest terrain than it can very well be a nice substitute.

DCLcruiser

Especially when the concept art is AI generated and not created by a human artist.

I remember Mission Space did end up looking like the rendering.

I remember looking at the rendering and saying, "its not going to look like that" , and was surprised when it did.

But that's a long time ago.

You are correct for the way things are done today,
It's an artists rendering.

How, or why, do you think this is AI? It's not the usual super smooth AI art.

Conor.Nam15

View attachment 808634
Is it possible the reason they didn't mention the liberty bell because it's still staying? They said they were "transforming" the area so maybe the river loop simply gets altered to allow more guest pathways up to villains but the back half of the river stays?
I had the same thought! The current concept doesn’t rule this out… I’m hopeful that they plan to save the northern loop of ROA. It would allow big thunder to remain on the water front and they could dock the belle just west of the haunted mansion in a new small extension of liberty square which would transition to villains…

IMG_0734.jpeg

Brian

I was referring to the evolution of Universal and Islands - but it does seem like Universal is listening to feedback (less screens, etc). The specs for the new park seem positive in terms of atmosphere, hopefully they keep it as a priority over the years this time.
Yes, it's almost as if the historical roles are reversing for the new builds in that Universal is going from concrete wastelands to more park-like atmosphere, while Disney is going from park-like to concrete, or at least not placing as much value on traditional park-like elements.

RETLAW

I really hope the Disney finance people decide this is to expensive and dont do it. I like the idea of a cars ride, but not at the expense of losing the Liberty Belle, ROA, and TSI. Also, send Cars to the Studios, and give MK something more fitting theme wise (Doesnt have to be IP Driven).

Most of the new announcements seem like a desperate response to the New Epic Universe Park. Except it is to little, and to late. Iger said that they have known about Epic was coming for around 10 years, and they are just now announcing new stuff. They should have announced this stuff 5 years ago, and had some of this stuff up and running starting this year and into next year.

Wall-e

I'm going back and forth on the scale. The concept pictures both show cars going to the top of the mountain which would make it pretty large. It also means the water in the area I was talking about comes from the mountain and continues down into the ride (where the car is crossing the stream in the middle ground).

1723480793202.jpeg

1723480817155.jpeg

SplashJacket

I had the same thought! The current concept doesn’t rule this out… I’m hopeful that they plan to save the northern loop of ROA. It would allow big thunder to remain on the water front and they could dock the belle just west of the haunted mansion in a new small extension of liberty square which would transition to villains…

View attachment 808700
If they go this route, it’s ridiculous. Saving the part of RoA that doesn’t need saving and then destroying the part that adds the views.

JD80

How a space feels is a result of how the space is designed, not just pure square footage. A physically huge area can feel crowded and suffocating.

I agree - looking forward to see how they solve that. I don't think it's difficult. The key is the size and scope of that center mountain pass.

doctornick

Radiator Springs Racers — particularly at night — is one of the greatest, most beautifully designed attractions WDI has ever created. If they can create a similar ambience for this new attraction, it could be a similar show-stopper.

Sure. But that doesn't mean in needs to go on the RoA/TSI footprint. Plenty of other available land.

The argument of Cars in MK is completely separate from where to build Cars in MK.

Chef idea Mickey`=

That's not quite true. If you look at what Universal is developing for Epic Universe and the Kids Resort in Texas, you'll see that they are placing a lot of emphasis on the "park" part of theme parks.
I wonder more the whole redoing the Center of Epcot was because of Epic Universe Celestrial Park and removing Fountain of Nations was just because there's no way Epcot would compete with Epic yet trying to make it that they are doing something on their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom