News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

JD80

The water that is currently there but won't be anymore. What exactly do you think they are doing with it if they aren't filling that space with land?

I don't think it's all being filled in. I think the depth is going to be some of the lower parts of the track. Some of it has water in it still. Red is lower race track, blue looks like water.

People are lamenting the loss of water. But do people not see the giant waterfalls in all the concept art?

1723481706157.png

Conor.Nam15

View attachment 808711
Tried to modify this layout to have Cars in the back half of the river while keeping that shape for Villains land. Totally possible, and they can even extend further behind Fantasyland if they really want. No train track modification required.
We’d all be celebrating this layout! (While still bemoaning cars in Frontierland 😅)

would’ve been great

Ghost93

So no wonder they neglected to mention where the hell Cars Land is going during Mater’s hilarious Zoom call at the keynote. They were too cowardly to even show this map until the whole convention was over! If they know this decision is so unpopular they have to push it back and push it back to avoid potential backlash, why do it at all??
They know it's unpopular with hardcore, hyper online parks fans, but know it will be very popular with the general public.

I don't like the Cars IP, but the concept art of the new Cars land has me a little bit relieved, as I find the evergreen trees aesthetically pleasing. They seem to be going for a mountain/woodsy vibe. It will likely blend in well with Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

Disney Analyst

Okay so it's true. Less Beyond Big Thunder and more... in-front and beside, with a little Villain's to the right corner.

Makes you wonder what will eventually end up directly behind Big Thunder, or if that isn't in the cards anymore?

So is this kids ride a little, outdoor... trackless car ride?

Small ride.png

John park hopper

Just because it’s 50 years old doesn’t mean that it has a history that dictates being preserved the way Disneyland’s is.

I am WDW goer through and through. I only visited DL for the first time in my life this year. I don’t say this as a DL local who hates WDW.

Disneyland is the park that not just started it all, it is the park that started modern theme parks as we know them. It is the park that all other massive theme parks owe their lives to. It is the park whose design has influenced every Disney park to follow and even ones that aren’t Disney parks. It is the place where the impossible became possible and entertainment changed forever.

Magic Kingdom is not that park.

Magic Kingdom is a little sibling that has struggled its whole life to live up to its older sibling. It was a park that was put into doubt and disarray when Walt died and the people he left behind were unprepared to take it where he maybe would have.

In the timeline where Walt lived, Magic Kingdom is maybe on par or even better than Disneyland. That timeline isn’t this one. It is an inferior park that has struggled for decades to completely escape the shadow of the park that it was modeled after. The best thing they can do for Magic Kingdom is attempt to give it an identity of it’s own rather than being the lesser form the original Disneyland.

Disnseyland deserves it’s preservation because it has earned it. It is living, breathing history. Would we be talking the same way about Magic Kingdom if it weren’t the most visited theme park in the world? Would would be talking about it the same way if say Tokyo Disneyland opened second instead of Magic Kingdom? I don’t think so.

Bigger does not always mean it is worthy of more than the smaller counterpart. Frozen is a much, much, much more successful movie than Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, but should we then say that Frozen is a more important thing to keep preserved and remembered than Snow White?
Sorry to disagree with you on all levels

OSUPhantom

Well I guess they are going a very different route. I’ve never been to TSI so the changes will trigger no nostalgic outrage for me. The main thing I worry about and someone send was the loss of Frontierland’s more quiet areas to the sounds of the attraction. It was one of the more peaceful sections of the park so I hope whatever they design can retain some sense of that. If they reskin Frontierland into some kind of mountain town in the northwest that would blend in well with the theme and a sense of cohesion

Mr. Sullivan

Correct me if I'm wrong but Universal builds new not re-theme and that's why they are gaining popularity over Disney
You are wrong indeed. Almost all of the original Universal park in Orlando (and Hollywood) has been replaced. Universal thrives on replacement. Hogsmeade replaced Merlinwood. Diagon Alley replaced Jaws. Mummy in Hollywood replaced ET. Simpsons replaced Back to the Future. The only actual addition they’ve done to an existing park that didn’t replace something was Nintindo in Holywood. Sometimes they’ll build a whole new park but Universal mostly plays the replacement game.

Wall-e

View attachment 808711
Tried to modify this layout to have Cars in the back half of the river while keeping that shape for Villains land. Totally possible, and they can even extend further behind Fantasyland if they really want. No train track modification required.
I never saw them being able to close of ROA from SSL. If my understanding from this board is correct the LB would need access to SSL for maintenance.

lazyboy97o

What do you mean filling in water?

It seems like the back half of RoA is staying, or at least some portion of it. You can "easily" build a drainage system that puts the water into the back half of RoA. Easily compare to diverting/building new canals outside the berm.
The Rivers of America is part of the water management system. It is effectively no different than any of the water out back. All of that water has to be replaced somewhere else. They also need to add capacity for all of this new land. They’re actually doubling up on some of the water diverting work required.

doctornick

View attachment 808711

This is what I was hoping/thinking as well, but my guess is they want whatever part of RoA is retained to be connected to the canal leading to the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Personally, if that's the issue, then I would have preferred they would keep the western part of the river in a backwards J shape up to about the Liberty Belle Dock. Which would still enable them to connect the islands to the rest of the land. They can then dock the boat and at least keep it for scenery. And the waterfront is retained even if there is no boat traffic.

If they want a way to get from around BTMRR/TBA to the island/Cars, then build a bridge or two over the water.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

View attachment 808711
And to add salt to the wound-
1723482078968.png

With the layout the way I proposed, Villains Land would still be fairly large, larger than Liberty Square and only slightly smaller than Frontierland and Adventureland (the latter who's footprint is bloated thanks to the Jungle Cruise). I also marked the areas within the railroad berm in black, showing there's still some expansion area left. No need to destroy the good half of the RoA.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Well have several things to do on the WDW bucket list (Not mine but the parks') on my trip in October:
  • Liberty Belle Riverboat
  • TSI
  • DINOSAUR
  • It's Tough to Be A Bug
  • Muppets (not yet verified but this could go away if the Monster, Inc coaster is put in the former Muppets Courtyard. I'm already seeing more likely Animation Courtyard)
Add to that already replaced
  • Splash > Tiana
  • CBJ > CBMJ
Quite a list.
So glad they are adding “additional” attractions and capacity to the parks 👀

FigmentFan82

Why Can't they just put it here instead? Yes, they'd have to re-route Floridian Way, but they could just demo it and use Floridian Place onto Center Drive to access the Reedy Creek Energy Services Complex and move the equipment storage containers over to the west side of Floridian Place behind Reedy Creek Fire Sta. #3. Then they can re-route the Waterway parallel to the East Side of Floridian Place and over to reconnect south of the Dock for the 2nd Riverboat behind the Parade Staging Facilities to the rear of Pirates? That opens up much more than the same size parcel without destroying TSI and RoA which could both be refurbished, and kept for Posterity?
That's where Coco will eventually go

Chef idea Mickey`=

Replacing one of the most iconic sightlines in Disney Parks with talking cars pretty much sums up Disney of today. No respect for the legacy of the park. I'm all for new things and new additions. Nothing to this point has really bothered me. But demoing the Rivers of America - the element that ties together half of the park and the entire soul of Frontierland - is something I just can't support or even understand. Especially replacing it with one of the least respected IP's Disney owns. Ugh...
Why should any of us be surprised at this point. They already dethemed half of Epcot from it being different and unique. Removing Splash Mountain the most popular beloved attraction. What makes you think they'll respect with the prices they are shoving. There's already tremendous problems with the current i. the company participating with things none of their business that is not family friendly. They are doing a Walt animatronic without his consent and his family trying their hardest saying no... but..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom