News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DCLcruiser

I honestly don't think it will be very tall. The latest concept art (which I take to be more "true to scale" than what was shown at D23). It appears that the "peak" of the mountain will actually be built on top of (and to partially hide) the main show building). shows cars driving up that mountain and that tallest point only being maybe 10-20 feet above the cars.

I tried to make some sense of the image. Based on what I can see, it seems the ride will be as follows:

1. Entrance/(Exit)?: I can't tell if this is the formal ride entrance or just the entrance of the show building. Either way, you may either walk (or drive) past McQueen and Mater as you enter the main show building. Or maybe it's possible that this is the end of the ride and you go past McQueen and Mater before making a left turn to the finish line (H)[which I have no other way of getting to otherwise)
A. Show Building Race Exit: It looks like you will have a dark ride portion (similar to RSR) prior to exiting the show building to start the "race"
B. Start Line: You can see the start line here indicating the start of the race before the cars make a180 degree turn to the right before going over the bridge
C. The Bridge: Shown in a lot of the concept art
D. Under the Bridge: After the bridge the cars turn 270 degrees to the left to go under the bridge they just crossed
E. Tunnel/Cave: After going under the bridge, the cars turn 180 degrees to the right again to go through a tunnel/cave (that goes under the path the cars previously took before going over the bridge)
F. Mountain Ascent: After exiting the cave, there is a (mostly) straight section where I assume the gyser/mud aspect will come into play before the ascent up the mountain
G. Mountain Peak: At the peak of the mountain, the cars will go around the signature mountain peak before making a turn and going... well, who knows!
H. Finish Line: Eventually, you get back up to the finish line, but I can't see where there is an outdoor path here or if maybe the ride goes back indoors for a portion before making it to the finish line.

View attachment 808688
You've ruined the surprise.

DavidDL

It’s important to remember that Disney knew this would be an unpopular decision with their fans, too. Which is exactly why they waited to show this artwork and confirm placement until AFTER the convention. It’s easier for them to put their fingers in their ears and pretend this is what Guests want when you don’t have an entire convention center filled with boos aimed at you and on the internet forever.

Booing which, I still heard on one of the livestreams when the Cars area was announced.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

I had the same thought! The current concept doesn’t rule this out… I’m hopeful that they plan to save the northern loop of ROA. It would allow big thunder to remain on the water front and they could dock the belle just west of the haunted mansion in a new small extension of liberty square which would transition to villains…

View attachment 808700
This would be nice, but with the rivers tucked so far back, what's even the point? The best part of it is the views from LS/Frontierland. Now there's some race cars blocking the way. I wish they had put Cars on that back half of RoA/TSI and left the main part. It would all fit, I'm pretty sure. You can even keep that shape for Villains and not go out beyond the berm.

lentesta

Premium Member
Removing the rivers of America is one of the worst decisions these clowns have done! They have so much land behind big thunder!

I agree Rivers of America is beautiful place-setting.

The Liberty Belle Riverboat, Tom Sawyer Island, and Hall of Presidents generate exactly $0 in Lightning Lane revenue.

I'm not saying that should be the primary factor in these decisions. But it's a top consideration for the company, and one that drives decisions about what to build. (Whether it should be is more of a discussion about what flavor of capitalism you prefer. And to paraphrase myself from earlier today, this afternoon isn't the time for me to get banned from this forum.)

ETA: I really, sincerely thank you all for putting up with me while I test lines for the next podcast. Thank you.

doctornick

If they go this route, it’s ridiculous. Saving the part of RoA that doesn’t need saving and then destroying the part that adds the views.

The reason why that seems plausible to me is that they might be trying to keep the connection to the canal to the SSL for the purposes of storm water management. So keep the back part of the RoA that connects there.

There are surely other options, but I can see this logic in this.

October82

Again. Park doesn't mean 'trees and nature'. A 'car park' isn't natural.
Theme parks historically were parklike, and the park-aspects of them are much of what makes them attractive places to spend time.

Removing heat dissipating and shade providing natural areas and replacing with concrete and rock work will both elevate the temperature and remove places for people to take breaks from the sun.

Brian

It’s important to remember that Disney knew this would be an unpopular decision with their fans, too. Which is exactly why they waited to show this artwork and confirm placement until AFTER the convention. It’s easier for them to put their fingers in their ears and pretend this is what Guests want when you don’t have an entire convention center filled with boos aimed at you and on the internet forever.

Booing which, I still heard on one of the livestreams when the Cars area was announced.
There were several very loud boos, and more shockingly, a lack of the thunderous applause that virtually every other announcement got. There was a very tepid applause, at best. Keep in mind this is an entire arena full of the most rabid Disney fans on earth... people who are willing to take time off work, buy a flight and hotel room, and pay hundreds of dollars just to be there to hear these announcements.

October82

Trust in a brand is hard to gain and easy to lose. Repeatedly alienating your most loyal customers can't be good for the bottom-line.

Brian

Theme parks historically were parklike, and the park-aspects of them are much of what makes them attractive places to spend time.

Removing heat dissipating and shade providing natural areas and replacing with concrete and rock work will both elevate the temperature and remove places for people to take breaks from the sun.
Good thing it doesn't get hot in Florida, amirite?

doctornick

There were several very loud boos, and more shockingly, a lack of the thunderous applause that virtually every other announcement got. There was a very tepid applause, at best. Keep in mind this is an entire arena full of the most rabid Disney fans on earth... people who are willing to take time off work, buy a flight and hotel room, and pay hundreds of dollars just to be there to hear these announcements.

Absolutely. This is just like Splash in that they certainly know this change is going to be shredded by the most loyal and vocal parks fans, but they did it anyway because... reasons.

Bocabear

I really hope the Disney finance people decide this is to expensive and dont do it. I like the idea of a cars ride, but not at the expense of losing the Liberty Belle, ROA, and TSI. Also, send Cars to the Studios, and give MK something more fitting theme wise (Doesnt have to be IP Driven).

Most of the new announcements seem like a desperate response to the New Epic Universe Park. Except it is to little, and to late. Iger said that they have known about Epic was coming for around 10 years, and they are just now announcing new stuff. They should have announced this stuff 5 years ago, and had some of this stuff up and running starting this year and into next year.
Sadly this will probably happen... they will decide it is too expensive after they have already completed demo on ROA and Tom Sawyer's Island, and then readjust plans and build a value engineered version of the ride shown...a scaled down and less impressive version of what it was supposed to be... you know like the new Flex Space Communicore Hall/Community College Cafetorium... I don't feel confident that these plans will come through with current leadership after the EPCOT debacle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom