News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Incomudro

Frontierland in its original theme/core idea has been irrelevant for decades. You have to remember it was built in a time where cowboys were all the rage, there was the "cowboys vs indians", gun slinging was seen as "cool". This is no longer the case. Cowboys aren't popular, they aren't idealized and are now seen in a different light, and guns are not very cool to most younger audiences and fail to connect in a family friendly park. 🤷‍♂️ It's simply times changing. People were upset about Tomorrowland not evolving with the new vision of the future. This is evolving to being about the American Frontier and removes the references and controversial nature. I mean a play area inspired by a book with slurs and racial stereotypes that no kid reads except as mandatory school reading... the writing was on the walls.
I agree with this to an extent.
Frontierland has always been one of my least favorite areas, largely because at 60 years old now - that cowboy and western thing already felt dated to me when I was a kid.
However...
What I do love, or have always loved about Disney World is how they used to care about the aesthetics of places that weren't rides.
Like the river.
That area just took me out of the chaos of the rest of the park.
Looking at the water, seeing the riverboat found the bend, hearing its horn...

basas

Frontierland in its original theme/core idea has been irrelevant for decades. You have to remember it was built in a time where cowboys were all the rage, there was the "cowboys vs indians", gun slinging was seen as "cool". This is no longer the case. Cowboys aren't popular, they aren't idealized and are now seen in a different light, and guns are not very cool to most younger audiences and fail to connect in a family friendly park. 🤷‍♂️ It's simply times changing. People were upset about Tomorrowland not evolving with the new vision of the future. This is evolving to being about the American Frontier and removes the references and controversial nature. I mean a play area inspired by a book with slurs and racial stereotypes that no kid reads except as mandatory school reading... the writing was on the walls.

I’m sorry, but I just fail to see how Frontierland is any less relevant today than Adventureland, Tomorrowland (remember the space-craze in the 60s), Fantasyland, Liberty Square or Main Street. Despite seven timeless lands, the park is the most visited in the world. I actually think you’ve made my point for me.

Read the plaque at the entrance to Magic Kingdom.

You seem to be doing a lot of generalizing in your post on what families or kids want.

basas

Frontierland has always been one of my least favorite areas, largely because at 60 years old now - that cowboy and western thing already felt dated to me when I was a kid.
However...
What I do love, or have always loved about Disney World is how they used to care about the aesthetics of places that weren't rides.
Like the river.
And yet for me, along with Liberty Square, it’s my favorite. I don’t give a hoot about villains land.

Quietmouse

Do we know if this cars frontier expansion will connect directly into villains land?

The concept art gives a very forestry, west cost nature vibe, and something that I think would be a very cool concept (again assuming they are connected) is to really emphasize the contract of light vs dark.

It would be a cool concept to go from this rugged forest terrain, almost what you would see in fairy tales and have paths that guests can get lost in (with fake dead ends) and have an experience that allows guests to go from this tranquil nature picturesque forest and continue on a forestry path that can accidentally lead guests to a more ominous and spooky forest that eventually reveals itself as villains land as they end their walk.

However...
Like the river.
I will also say though that based on the concept art we will be getting new naturey elements such as waterfalls, geysers, some river/water features, cars driving around as kinetics, etc. Maybe they could put a new play structure in this land after the old Splash one got removed, it's basically a whole miniland anyway

Centauri Space Station

However...
Like the river.
it seems some water will stay at least

ctrlaltdel

Planned to reply earlier then the news broke and the thread got swarmed

I think this is an additional reason as well - by the time they factor the costs of mechanical issues, the lack of excitement for a clone people already experienced, and overall return for a new attraction, they figured out they get a better ROI if they just upfront commit to making unique versions then paying for a clone and dealing with that

How they reacted just a few years ago isn't the same how different management does now. I think under current management you are not getting clones of rides between the resorts but different ride themes or even types if they use the same IP. If Frozen comes to Disneyland it's going to not be the same story or ride type as Frozen Ever After. If Coco comes to Disney World it's going to be something like that Soarin simulator rumor, not the Gran Fiesta Tour boat ride that DCA is getting. Same as we're seeing here with Cars, Indiana Jones or Avatar. That might chance under future leadership but that's how the current one is thinking. They want reason for you to visit Florida and California
This is a very good point. I think the continued decreased cost in air travel, increased global wealth, and the fact that are just more "hardcore" fans than ever that are seeking out going to multiple Disney parks over their lifetime makes the ROI more favorable to new attractions.

basas

People showed up out of the woodworks to defend something the MOMENT Disney said its going away. I've heard people wanting to retheme Tom Sawyer and the rivers for ages. I can't wait to hear this exact same thing about Speedway whenever it inevitably closes. "It added so much kinetics" "It was a Walt attraction"

Be careful what you wish for. Disneyland’s Tomorrowland has never recovered from the ‘90s when they took out some of the “kinetics”.

I’m sorry, but I just fail to see how Frontierland is any less relevant today than Adventureland, Tomorrowland (remember the space-craze in the 60s), Fantasyland, Liberty Square or Main Street. Despite seven timeless lands, the park is the most visited in the world. I actually think you’ve made my point for me.

Read the plaque at the entrance to Magic Kingdom.

You seem to be doing a lot of generalizing in your post on what families or kids want.
I am generalizing because I have kids. They never liked Tom Sawyer that much, I told them about Cars and they were enthusiastic 🤷‍♂️ No one in my family cared the slightest about the river being replaced. Not one. Lands can be themed "to the past" without being outdated/problematic. If there's a problematic piece of history, then I would expect it to be history. Theres a time and place for it, not in a Disney park. Look at the redos they've been doing throughout Adventureland to make it less problematic. Also exploring jungles and foreign worlds is FAR more timeless than Cowboys. I can name 10 popular movies in the last 30 years about exploring a jungle or exotic locale...very few I can name about cowboys. Even less anything that Disney could use. Exploration is timeless. Cowboys are not.

erasure fan1

Is Call of Duty still relevant? Pretty sure it's all about Fortnite now 😉
You're right... FORTNITE LAND IN FRONTIERLAND. It's a bus ride simulator like Fast and Furious but you "drop" into a Fortnite game with Dr Strange, Rick and Morty, & Goku and have to stop the evil Dr Doom.
Maybe that's where the 1.5 billion they paid to epic is going. Give me a parachute, let me jump to the island where I get to shot people with paintballs who use flash photography on dark rides. BRILLIANT!

Last edited:

basas

I am generalizing because I have kids. They never liked Tom Sawyer that much, I told them about Cars and they were enthusiastic 🤷‍♂️ No one in my family cared the slightest about the river being replaced. Not one. Lands can be themed "to the past" without being outdated/problematic. If there's a problematic piece of history, then I would expect it to be history. Theres a time and place for it, not in a Disney park. Look at the redos they've been doing throughout Adventureland to make it less problematic. Also exploring jungles and foreign worlds is FAR more timeless than Cowboys. I can name 10 popular movies in the last 30 years about exploring a jungle or exotic locale...very few I can name about cowboys. Even less anything that Disney could use. Exploration is timeless. Cowboys are not.

Lots of opinions there, not facts.

Respect that others disagree.

Incomudro

I will also say though that based on the concept art we will be getting new naturey elements such as waterfalls, geysers, some river/water features, cars driving around as kinetics, etc. Maybe they could put a new play structure in this land after the old Splash one got removed, it's basically a whole miniland anyway
I'll believe it when I see it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom