News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

By the way - I bought a ticket to California to see the “brand new Galaxies Edge” - I went to the passholder preview for Everest and Avatar and booked trips around both.

On my last visit to WDW, I didn’t even want to pay extra to hop over to MK to see Tron. I’ll ride it when I get the chance but I have 0 interest in it.

Since attendance continues to drop - I question how many are like me and are no longer interested in these additions?

I am looking forward to the Encanto dark ride - that looks promising!

Ice Gator

I can tell discourse on this is already getting messy so I’m going to leave this thread be for a while.

Maybe it’s just me never caring for TSI that much outside of the views and visual storytelling of the ROA area, but I’m actually very excited for this expansion and version of Cars land. Maybe I’m crazy for that, but hey if Drew can be so optimistically positive for Tiana’s, then I guess I can be for this.

I don’t see it as anything extremely offensive compared to other recent choices they’ve made and I’ll respect everyone else’s takes since Cars is a very “” decision- but I’ve always felt MK was the park that would evolve significantly in the future and we’re finally getting a major change. Was it what I or anyone expected or ask for? No. But I like the concept art and am cautiously optimistic for how this will unfold.

Chi84

Premium Member
People can find plenty of shade, boredom, a place to relax, and water on Tiana's Bayou Adventure. With the thrill elements mostly removed (beyond the drop) it's now primarily a relaxing/ambiance type ride.
It pretty much always was relaxing except for the drops.

Fox&Hound

It may sound weird, but one of the things I really enjoy at MK is walking on the wooden path they added along the water to go to Splash/BTMRR. I don't know, but just the feeling of walking on that along the river brings a smile to my face.
Does not sound weird at all. I always make it a point to walk along that path. It is beautiful....Again, there is no reason why we have to lose that...

docnabox

All this talk has made me realize that what I love about WDW truly is not just the rides, but the entire experience of the parks. I love the trees, the water features, and beauty of the parks themselves. One of the reasons I love MK so much is because of areas like ROA where I can sit and stare out over the water and think about life. I bet the majority of "rides, rides, rides" people are fine with this because they view the parks as collection of rides to experience and this gives them more of what they want. But for those of us who view the parks as an escape from the hustle and bustle of the world, this choice hurts.
I felt much the same years ago with the changes made to the hub and the removal of all the tress in the center. After my mom died when I was 13, when We took business trips with my Dad in the summer, he would drop us off at the park in the morning, work most of the day and meet us at the hub. We’d find him sitting on the seats surrounding the planters waiting on us and sometimes we would just sit and tell him about our day while he relaxed from a long day at work and was undoubtedly dreading a long night ahead (the MK often was open routinely until 1 AM in those days.). My brother and I always were impatient but even back then there were times when we just enjoyed sitting there with him, watching people, listening to the music and soaking it all in. It was just time and place to relax and enjoy. That seems to be increasingly uncommon these days in all of the parks.

docnabox

It may sound weird, but one of the things I really enjoy at MK is walking on the wooden path they added along the water to go to Splash/BTMRR. I don't know, but just the feeling of walking on that along the river brings a smile to my face.
I loved the entire waterfront from LS to BTM. It felt real. Natural. Relaxing. And it made me happy.

britain

I have a question for D'Amaro 🙃
Is it because of Encanto moved that you decided to abandon Desert Land knowing Cars wouldn't be accepted if brought in as Cars Land (DCA) further behind Coco.

Did you scrap Coco because Encanto was gone and didn't find Cars with Coco not fit like Encanto together even though both along Big Thunder are easily Desert environment properties? All you had left was Cars so you just turned it Frontier instead of just going Cars Land (DCA) behind Big Thunder?
I have a feeling this is WDW Operations ASKING for something to replace the river. They don't like operating it, they don't like that it's connected to the outer water system. And the want something to expand capacity without expanding the walking distance.

Incomudro

Well...
I've wanted a Cars ride at WDW, but not this way.
First off, I believed it should be in Hollywood Studios.
But ok, now it's in Frontierland.
I suppose I could have handled that if it was back behind Big Thunder somewhere.
But destroying Rivers of America for it?
No more water?
No more riverboat?
This is disgusting.
They remove everything that gave you a peaceful respite from all of the activity.
There was tranquility watching the boat come around the bend.
And this company has the nerve to be building a Walt Disney AA.
He should say "Why have you destroyed my company?"

Sectorkeeper71

Something to be aware of. Plans to replace TSI and Rivers of America have been on the cards for years. What to put here has only recently been finalized.
This doesn’t surprise me. More guest space to spread people out, and I can imagine OPs is tired of having to shuttle things over to TSI every time something needs to be refurbed.

I wasn’t around for when 20k closed, but from what I’ve read the discourse around this decision seems similar: gonna save park ops some money, though at least in this case we aren’t gonna have a vacant lagoon sitting around for almost 2 decades

Ghost93

I took the afternoon off of reading this and suddenly there's 95 pages! Read the tea leaves, Disney! This ain't a good idea!
People on this site are just very, very against change.

I can sympathize with those who mourned the loss of Splash Mountain as that was a top 5 attraction and as iconic as Pirates of the Carribbean, the Haunted Mansion and it's a Small World. But I have a hard time believing there are that many die-hard Tom Sawyer Island fans. Hardly anyone goes on Tom Sawyer's Island and I doubt the average person would even know what the Rivers of America is when discussing theme parks. The Cars retheme announcement is something that will really only bother hyper-online parks fans.

Personally I like Tom Sawyer (the novel and its adaptaions) much more than I like Cars, but from a business standpoint this retheme is a no brainer. You are freeing up 10-12 acres that park guests rarely utilize and giving the crowds multiple major e-tickets in their place (cause removing the island also enhances access to the villain land).

I'd say you should be an executive at Disney. But it seems as you're not dumb enough. You can't go saying all these things that make sense.
;)
They want to keep more space open for expansions (they can now use the dry dock for the Liberty Belle for Coco or a Villians expansion)

Simple as that. They took out a low capacity, underutilized, and frankly somewhat problematic attraction in the meantime and can keep that space on reserve until they want to use it again.

GenChi

Planned to reply earlier then the news broke and the thread got swarmed

I also wonder if they’ve come to the realization - after building multiple clones of rides, sometimes at the same time - the variable headaches aren’t worth the supposed cost savings (which gets eaten up). Can’t imagine the ROTR or TBA buildouts were relatively cost friendly, given the delivery and operational problems at the outset.
I think this is an additional reason as well - by the time they factor the costs of mechanical issues, the lack of excitement for a clone people already experienced, and overall return for a new attraction, they figured out they get a better ROI if they just upfront commit to making unique versions then paying for a clone and dealing with that

So your answer is a Frozen ride is not ever going to come to Disneyland because any World of Arendale comes with a Frozen Ever After type of ride. How do you explain Galaxy's Edge..?? Thank you for confirming Coco is forever at West Coast now which we can breathe a shy of relief.

How they reacted just a few years ago isn't the same how different management does now. I think under current management you are not getting clones of rides between the resorts but different ride themes or even types if they use the same IP. If Frozen comes to Disneyland it's going to not be the same story or ride type as Frozen Ever After. If Coco comes to Disney World it's going to be something like that Soarin simulator rumor, not the Gran Fiesta Tour boat ride that DCA is getting. Same as we're seeing here with Cars, Indiana Jones or Avatar. That might chance under future leadership but that's how the current one is thinking. They want reason for you to visit Florida and California

People on this site are just very, very against change.

I can sympathize with those who mourned the loss of Splash Mountain as that was a top 5 attraction and as iconic as Pirates of the Carribbean, the Haunted Mansion and it's a Small World. But I have a hard time believing there are that many die-hard Tom Sawyer Island fans. Hardly anyone goes on Tom Sawyer's Island and I doubt the average person would even know what the Rivers of America is when discussing theme parks. The Cars retheme announcement is something that will really only bother hyper-online parks fans.

Personally I like Tom Sawyer (the novel and its adaptaions) much more than I like Cars, but from a business standpoint this retheme is a no brainer. You are freeing up 10-12 acres that park guests rarely utilize and giving the crowds multiple major e-tickets in their place (cause removing the island also enhances access to the villain land).
People showed up out of the woodworks to defend something the MOMENT Disney said its going away. I've heard people wanting to retheme Tom Sawyer and the rivers for ages. I can't wait to hear this exact same thing about Speedway whenever it inevitably closes. "It added so much kinetics" "It was a Walt attraction"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom