News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Ignoring that I don’t agree with that premise, it would be remarkably simple to rename the area to not invoke Tom Sawyer or Mark Twain. I don’t think caves and barrel bridges are intrinsically “problematic” are they?
There isn't a great IP that makes sense in the area without doing a lot of other stuff. As a company, they decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

ctrlaltdel

I can't over how bold this project is. That doesn't necessarily mean it's smart use of space or a good addition, but I think we can all agree that getting rid most of ROA for a massive, non-clone Cars attraction is bold.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Jack from DSNY Newscast stated that Coco was far along as a Phase 1 and was set for an area Quadrant side West of Big Thunder and now that it's moved out because Cars was a more financial greater return on investment the land is going to sit there empty. Instead of Cars building itself there he mentions it's possible in the future Coco would make it's way back to there. That area was where I always predicted and who knows if they are lazy to have to rezone replan the Cars area to there whether it's big enough I don't know but I guess it doesn't matter because they want more footprint for people to walk than more footprint for expanding and adding more.

erasure fan1

No offense but how does cars not add kinetics, look at the concept art. You are walking alongside multiple times as they drive next to the path. There's waterfalls, geysers, etc
It might, we don't really know and that's kind of my problem with most of what was announced. We just don't know a lot of anything. Now with the river boat, that's a iconic part of the magic Kingdoms visual language. Seeing the boat, hearing the horn, that's classic Disney for a lot of people. Myself included. I might not ride it very often, but when I hear and see it, I'm at the magic kingdom. The monorail does the same thing for me. It might sound dumb, but I'm sure I'm not alone. Could what's coming do as good a job and accomplish the same thing? Absolutely. I just don't trust this group of misfits making these decisions.

Dear Prudence

Also true but Disney has defo shifted Peter Pan's problematic aspects, toned them down, or is trying to remove them according to rumors.
They recently said at Disneyland that they looked at the ride and "saw nothing wrong with it," so I doubt it.

The new Disney Springs Peter Pan land is chock full of the cringe Native stuff. 😬

Which is funny, because the Peter Pan stuff is the one thing Native guests have actually been asking for.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I have a feeling this is WDW Operations ASKING for something to replace the river. They don't like operating it, they don't like that it's connected to the outer water system. And the want something to expand capacity without expanding the walking distance.
The walking distance to Big Thunder Mountain is no different than the walking to Haunted Mansion. You make that equal walking past Big Thunder turn to where the Coco spot was is no different than you contonue past Haunted Mansion to enter Villains Land. So if walking distance is an issue don't build Villains Land.

docnabox

There isn't a great IP that makes sense in the area without doing a lot of other stuff. As a company, they decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
So they took the easy way out? Is that what you are saying? I am one of those that doesn’t feel that EVERYTHING at the parks has to be based on an IP. but to have come up with a better fit that made sense, they would have had to show some creative spark and put some effort forth. The two birds that are killed with one stone here are that it is based on an IP that will save effort ( not to mention while not a clone of RSR, the concept is the same but with a different backdrop) and it will sell merchandise. The whole “Tom Sawyer is a problem“ thing is just an axcuse to replace with more profitable concepts.

Chef idea Mickey`=

It might, we don't really know and that's kind of my problem with most of what was announced. We just don't know a lot of anything. Now with the river boat, that's a iconic part of the magic Kingdoms visual language. Seeing the boat, hearing the horn, that's classic Disney for a lot of people. Myself included. I might not ride it very often, but when I hear and see it, I'm at the magic kingdom. The monorail does the same thing for me. It might sound dumb, but I'm sure I'm not alone. Could what's coming do as good a job and accomplish the same thing? Absolutely. I just don't trust this group of misfits making these decisions.
The riverboat is too classic. As much as I love Cars what they are doing there looks like a project fit for Disney's California Adventure Park retheming and replacing Grizzly's Peak. If they'd done that it wouldn't of taken anything as classic as the Riverboat. We waited so long for a Cars Land. They refuse to bring it to Hollywood Studios for a long time even though the Land is so popular and beautiful and instead accept having the same Galaxy's Edge on both coasts. Now because of Epic Universe they are pitching it by removing something from our least Disneylandesque park and bringing Cars as riding on muddy roads. No charm of the original characters at the same time no charm of Magic Kingdom classic TSI and ROA.

Dr.GrantSeeker

No, but this change turns the Magic Kingdom into a Universal park. Good riddance to this company. This boulder will tumbler further and further and will ultimately destroy aspects of these parks that are beloved by those here who are defending this atrocious decision.
It’s so strange because Disney is literally destroying what made it special and replacing it with “Disney” that isn’t timeless. All of these expansions, replacements, are years away and already decade old properties. I’m not defending the age of TSI and LB for being old properties but they are timeless. But how well does this new Frontierland look in 50 years? This cars adition won’t even age well beyond 20 years and at that point the franchise will be what, damn near 40? It certainly won’t look as good as the Frontierland that still stands today. TSI, RoA and LB all aged so well and created spaces that other theme parks would never have dreamt of building in the first place. Removing a space such as RoA for something like cars, to your original point, makes it more like any other theme park. It’s no longer special.

MerlinTheGoat

The utilidors probably are dependent on some of them so i dont think they can be removed.
The utilidors may not be affected by this project at all. They pass underneath the LS/Frontierland buildings, not the RoA or walkway connecting to it.

Utilidor-web-jpeg-scaled.jpg

DarkMetroid567

Sincerely, why?
It’s a land that I think attempts to complement Main Street and Frontier without doing either. The tributes to America are cute but the Philly set pieces are boring and most of the land is completely overlooked by guests. Harbor House and Liberty Tree both suck. The thing that LS is most famous for, besides the attractions, is the apocryphal “poop” sidewalk.

It’s clear that LS only exists because the MK team wanted to emulate New Orleans Square but didn’t get why New Orleans Square actually worked. Instead, they kinda just kneecapped Frontierland.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before. The concept art shows part of the existing boardwalk in front of the diamond horseshoe. I wonder if there will be a stream of water going all the way to TBA with the entire boardwalk still there. That would be useful when the parade is going. They could have some waterfalls coming down from the new mountain, which could look nice. If there is no water then they could build a new row of Frontierland buildings / facades on the right side against the new mountain.

Untitled-4.jpg

This forum has blow up fast in the last few hours. I don’t like to post much, but I do have insight on land use management in the state of Florida. It is far easier for Disney to use land inside the burm than opposed to getting new land use permits. In Magic Kingdoms specific case it’s even harder because of its location to free moving water ways that lead to the Everglades. They have to prove in the new land use permits it’s not going to have major issues down stream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom