Carnotaurus "stand in" on DINOSAUR

Alektronic

That stinks!

Also, I was a big dinosaur fan when I was younger and have retained some of the knowledge I picked up when reading about them. Has anybody else noticed that the computer voice has some dinosaur names correct and others only partially correct?

I.E. - Velociraptor = correct. Carnotaurus = correct. Sauropod...the "Sauropod" is a Brachiosaurus...Brachiosaurus is the actual name or genus, Sauropod is the suborder of the dinosaur, just like Theropod would be the suborder of the Carnotaurus.

For anybody who would like to know, Theropod basically means bipedal (walking on 2 legs) and Sauropod means quadrapedal (walking on 4 legs)...so a Sauropod could be any number of dinosaurs, not just Brachiosaurus.

I know this sounds geeky, but it's always kind of bothered me.

Maybe the computer only noticed it was lizard footed (Sauropod) and didn't actually know it was a Saltasaurus.

fosse76

That stinks!

Also, I was a big dinosaur fan when I was younger and have retained some of the knowledge I picked up when reading about them. Has anybody else noticed that the computer voice has some dinosaur names correct and others only partially correct?

I.E. - Velociraptor = correct. Carnotaurus = correct. Sauropod...the "Sauropod" is a Brachiosaurus...Brachiosaurus is the actual name or genus, Sauropod is the suborder of the dinosaur, just like Theropod would be the suborder of the Carnotaurus.

For anybody who would like to know, Theropod basically means bipedal (walking on 2 legs) and Sauropod means quadrapedal (walking on 4 legs)...so a Sauropod could be any number of dinosaurs, not just Brachiosaurus.

I know this sounds geeky, but it's always kind of bothered me.

Much like Pterodactyl (incorrect) should be Pterosaur (correct).

Future Guy

I understand that the "placeholder" Carnotaur is only there because they're performing maintenance on the real one. Still, I can understand why people are complaining. If TDO hadn't spent the last 12 years deactivating every effect on that ride maybe we'd be willing to cut them a little slack. I fully expect to board Dinosaur one day and discover that all the Animatronics have all been replaced by inflatable pool toys and CMs in rubber Halloween masks.

I understand why they can't close the ride to work on it, though: capacity. The bean-counters that pared AK's offering of attractions to the bone during its conceptualization phase obviously never considered the possibility that attractions would need to go down for refurbs. There are so few attractions that there would be serious capacity problems if even one closed for any length of time.

allgar

Dinosaur is a shell of it's former self already from the days of CTX...

What does that mean "CTX", was Dinosaur toned down at some point? I swear when I first rode it, it did seem scarier even when the Carno was working properly a couple years ago.

If TDO hadn't spent the last 12 years deactivating every effect on that ride maybe we'd be willing to cut them a little slack.

...what is TDO?

Buried20KLeague

What does that mean "CTX", was Dinosaur toned down at some point? I swear when I first rode it, it did seem scarier even when the Carno was working properly a couple years ago.

...what is TDO?

Countdown to Extinction... Its name before the Aladar/Dinosaur tie-in. Back then all the effects worked and it was much more intense.

TDO is Team Disney Orlando. The people who (unfortunately) make decisions about how WDW is run.

Somewhere on this site is a list of abbreviations. People use them all the time on here... It might be worth it for you to check them out. :wave:

Edit to add: Here, I found it for you. http://www.wdwmagic.com/acronyms.htm

PurpleDragon

Yes prior to the Dinosaur movie tie in the effects were much more intense and in your face. It was around the time they made the changes to for the Dinosaur tie-in that effects started going down and the ride ended up being a short ride thru a dark room with 3 visible dinosaurs in it. :veryconfu

allgar

Thanks so much for the abbreviations link.... and most importantly for the information. Like I say, I do remember it being quite a scare at the end, so much so that the picture of the wife and I was (and still is) the best picture from one of those rides we had ever seen. I regret that we didn't buy it, but it's imprinted on my brain. Great fun. That was in February of 2003. So I think it was already called Dinosaur but the ride has never been the same since.

PurpleDragon

While we're on the conversation of Dinosaur, what the heck is supposed to happen when Dr. Seeker says "Whoops" in the middle of the ride? All thats there is darkness, no jerky movement of the vehicle, no visible debris, no dinosaur, nothing. Was there previously an effect there or something he almost ran into? :shrug:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While we're on the conversation of Dinosaur, what the heck is supposed to happen when Dr. Seeker says "Whoops" in the middle of the ride? All thats there is darkness, no jerky movement of the vehicle, no visible debris, no dinosaur, nothing. Was there previously an effect there or something he almost ran into? :shrug:
Though it`s now hard to tell, the original story was you drove over the Dinos tail.

All this and more revealed in my new Tribute video at Mousebits.com and my site ;)

EpcotServo

Though it`s now hard to tell, the original story was you drove over the Dinos tail.

All this and more revealed in my new Tribute video at Mousebits.com and my site ;)

Yeah, that's right! It was all in the Countdown To Extinction Junior Novelization that was like my favorite book as a kid when DAK opened.
:lol:

ttalovebug

Original Poster

And it was fantastic, thanks!! I first rode DINOSAUR after the name change and turned down/off effects. Your video helped me see what it was like before. Now, I want a DINO refurb more than anything. :eek:

mp2bill

Much like Pterodactyl (incorrect) should be Pterosaur (correct).

True. I didn't even think about that one. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they use the name Brontosaurus, which everybody knows it by, instead of Apatosaurus, which is it's original and correct name.

It just seems that when they were writing the dialogue, they started researching facts and then got lazy, inserting the names that people mistakenly believe to be true.

RSoxNo1

I thought this was where the Sauropod (Someone on here actually said it was a Titanosaurus, a type of Sauropod) burps.

PurpleDragon

Wow, its like a gave you the perfect segway for promoting a new video on your site. How bout that. LOL!! :lol::p

EDIT: I just watched your video Martin (which was awesome by the way) and I just realized that there are a lot more effects turned off these days than I realized. Half the meteorite effects have since been turned off, the sauropod (if I remember right) doesn't move that much anymore, and a bulk of the ride is now cloaked in darkness. It bothers me that they've let this ride get into such disrepair. The overall entertainment value of the attraction has now been compromised and its all in the name of turnstile numbers. Its really rather sad. :cry:

JungleTrekFan

That is a really cool video. Out of all the effects i wish the jumping compsognathus was still on. Then it wouldn't look like statues on a wall

Alektronic

It definitely easy to see that AK maintenance is the worse for all 4 parks. They believe in minimal upkeep and just turn things off instead of repairing them. I guess the maintenance manager gets a big bonus for keeping them under budget.

The next thing that will happen is that they will use the dinosaur cardboard cutouts from Primeval Whirl and use those as stand ins for the AA's at Dinosaur and soon you will have a Food Rocks ride.

PurpleRose

I get that AK doesn't have that many rides and that taking a big ride like Dinosaur and EE would be a huge blow. I get that. But rides like Dinosaur and EE was why I wanted to go to the park to begin with. It wouldn't be like this if they didn't ax Beastly Kingdom.

Flight Safety

He is back

I didnt feel like reading all of the posts on this thread since most are unrelated to the actual subject of the missing Dino, so Im not sure if anyone has posted this since he was first missing, but the big boy is back! :sohappy:

We were just at AK today and I asked a CM if the Carno was still MIA and he said yes, but when we rode sure enough the big guy was in action. I asked a CM at the end what was changed, and they informed me that he got new skin.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom