Captain EO Soft Open To Public Today

AEfx

Excellent. The quicker it opens the sooner it's gone.

This show isn't going anywhere for a long while. There is nothing in the pipeline to replace it, and it's extremely doubtful they would ever reconvert back to HISTA.

Considering the reactions the crowds had in the various showings I have seen at Disneyland, with cheers the second MJ comes up on "stage", it's more of a crowd pleaser than HISTA ever was or will be again. Sure, the audience skews slightly differently at WDW, but I suspect much of the same will be shown there.

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure Eo will be playing in Epcot for quite some time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Furthermore, what is the point of message boards if individuals get b*****d out for expressing their opinions? Disagree with what I say, that's fine, but complaining about the fact that I'm saying it in the first place is ridiculous.
Because it`s already been argued to death over the past few months and members here are fed up of it.
I believe our sign is actually the original one we had when the show first opened...
Nope:

Attachments

• EO original entrance.jpg
    EO original entrance.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 118

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well maybe it is not the sign that it opened with above the entrance but it is an original sign, if not, than that makes Dan Cockerell a liar.
Maybe not a liar, maybe misinformed.

Remember Erin Wallace claiming the Epcot 25 stage was the same one the park was opened with on October 1st 1982? That stage wasn`t even there in 1982.

I guess it`s possible the `new` sign was in the preshow holding area originally. It certainly wasn`t outside the attraction, nor next to or above the preshow entrance. Some more:

Attachments

• EO original entrance cu.jpg
    EO original entrance cu.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 88
  • EO original holding wall sign.jpg
    EO original holding wall sign.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 94
  • EO original preshow entrance sign.jpg
    EO original preshow entrance sign.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 101

parkgoer

Original Poster
Because it`s already been argued to death over the past few months and members here are fed up of it.
Nope:
+1

Oh yea, I did see EO yesterday for the first time ever. It was a little weird but i liked it...a lot more than i like hista. From the sound of the crowd it seemed like they liked it more too. Just like other's have said, they cheers during the show, and the clapping at the end, you could tell people where into it. Even tho this was the first time seeing it, it feels like i went back in time. When you get into the pre-show area they are playing what looks like the making of EO (Got there and the doors opened up 2min later) and just the over all feel of everything. It was pretty cool.

There was no line at all. That could be due to a few things tho. It was originally a cast only preview, it's not on the map yet, and it was about to downpour when i was there.

djkidkaz

Yeah, I don't think this is going to do anything more than HISTA already did. I think its going to look just as dated and irrelevant to our current time and people will not bother with it. Theres a reason these attractions close down in the first place. I love MJ, but I honestly could care less about this and I've never even seen it, so I would think that I would be excited for something "new", but Im just not. Just the thought of sitting through an 80's movie for 17 minutes with only some of the original effects working sounds like a waste of my time. Will I see it? Yeah, I'll sit through it just like I did a couple times with HISTA, but I don't think this is any big deal whatsoever. The whole pavilion needs a full 100% redo, just gut everything in there and come up with something completely new.

I love just walking around EPCOT but alot of the buildings in Future World need to have overhauls. Innoventions is another one that is just a waste of time. The concept is great, but the garbage they have in there ( literally, waste management ) is not a showcase of great technology. Wheres the Fire? Great Piggybank Adventure? Waste Management? Or I remember when they used to have the Sega Dreamcast set up in there after it was already out for years and wasn't even popular anymore. The stuff inside there is basically advertisements for those sponsors, not a showcase of how they are changing the future with technology.

wizards8507

Weirdo? Have you ever seen the weirdos that go to Star Trek conventions???? He was eccentric ....

Lol I'm trying to stay out of this thread due to the pressing requests from those who don't like honest debate, but I suppose when I'm quoted it's only fair to respond.

There's no "weirdo" quota. The "weirdness" of Trekies does not preclude MJ from also being "weird."

TheBeatles

Did anyone else notice the costumes had changed for Journey and EO. The only thing that remained were the white lab coat, but most CMs were not wearing it.

Further signs of KODAK leaving? I think so.

I also heard a Guest saying our version had more theatre effects than the one in California. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Monorail_Red

Well, I am very interested to see the crowds' reaction to this opening.
From what I saw, a lot of people seemed to like it. I liked it...but I did think it was a bit corny...but I did grow up in the 90's.....

what about the monorail spiel?
They started going around updating the trains yesterday.

I then realized it was cast previews and thought I was really going to be in trouble.
It was originally going to be cast only...but it was just a walk-on so they opened it to the guests too. If it got busy enough, they would have limited it to cast only.

Thrill Seeker

Did anyone else notice the costumes had changed for Journey and EO. The only thing that remained were the white lab coat, but most CMs were not wearing it.

Further signs of KODAK leaving? I think so.

I also heard a Guest saying our version had more theatre effects than the one in California. Can anybody confirm or deny?

I cannot confirm or deny since I haven't been on the California version, but it wouldn't surprise me considering the fact that we had a 2 and a half month refurbishment compared to Disneyland's 3 weeks...

Yeah I noticed that (the costumes). I'm guessing that's just so JII cast can be rotated over to EO at anytime without having to change costumes. It could be a sign though that the Imagination Institute won't be around much longer though...

parkgoer

Original Poster
I do not think it will....

I'm hoping you're wrong, tho I won't be surprised if you're right. Not because I'm in love with EO, but because I'd like to see some life brought back to that area of the park. I've heard that with the opening of EO, TDO is hoping that brings crowds into JII. That's great and all, but it's going to have a negative effect for those of us that want too see progression over there.

Here's my $.02: Some people will go to JII for the ride, some for EO. TDO is hoping that the crowd EO brings in, trickles into JII. That's great and all, but not really. People that go to EO will exit, and see that JII has little to no wait. Well, why not do it then? they're in that area anyway, right? well the EO crowd is going to move the turnstiles at JII, making the numbers higher, which will please TDO, but that's not getting us anywhere.
I hope they take those numbers with a grain of salt...

The pavilion is in pretty sad shape. Every glass panel on the outside of the building Needs to be replaced (IMO), all have rust stains going down the middle of them from where they are held in place with the metal fasteners. Hate to say it but I wouldn't care at this point if they tore it down. There's nothing good there, and it doesn't seem they can bring anything good there. Apparently the upstairs will never open again. IMO they need to retheme the entire pavillion, or create something new in that spot.

That said, I will enjoy EO while it lasts!

Grizzly Hall 71

Yeah, I don't think this is going to do anything more than HISTA already did. I think its going to look just as dated and irrelevant to our current time and people will not bother with it. Theres a reason these attractions close down in the first place. I love MJ, but I honestly could care less about this and I've never even seen it, so I would think that I would be excited for something "new", but Im just not. Just the thought of sitting through an 80's movie for 17 minutes with only some of the original effects working sounds like a waste of my time. Will I see it? Yeah, I'll sit through it just like I did a couple times with HISTA, but I don't think this is any big deal whatsoever. The whole pavilion needs a full 100% redo, just gut everything in there and come up with something completely new.

I love just walking around EPCOT but alot of the buildings in Future World need to have overhauls. Innoventions is another one that is just a waste of time. The concept is great, but the garbage they have in there ( literally, waste management ) is not a showcase of great technology. Wheres the Fire? Great Piggybank Adventure? Waste Management? Or I remember when they used to have the Sega Dreamcast set up in there after it was already out for years and wasn't even popular anymore. The stuff inside there is basically advertisements for those sponsors, not a showcase of how they are changing the future with technology.

While Innoventions may not showcase a lot of new technology of the future it does help and educate the people on how to be safer in the future. Waste Management educates people on how to recyle and reuse waste better. Great Piggy Bank Adventure educates mostly kids on how to save up for future adventures in life. And finally where's the fire helps to educate people on how to protect themselves from house fires that may happen in the future. The overall theme is teaching the public about the future and educting them on how to help themselves in the future. :wave:

Thrill Seeker

[/B]

While Innoventions may not showcase a lot of new technology of the future it does help and educate the people on how to be safer in the future. Waste Management educates people on how to recyle and reuse waste better. Great Piggy Bank Adventure educates mostly kids on how to save up for future adventures in life. And finally where's the fire helps to educate people on how to protect themselves from house fires that may happen in the future. The overall theme is teaching the public about the future and educting them on how to help themselves in the future. :wave:

It also has The Sum of All Thrills, which is just awesome, yet also edutainment. Innoventions if anything is keeping that aspect of Epcot Center alive.

TheBeatles

Yeah I noticed that (the costumes). I'm guessing that's just so JII cast can be rotated over to EO at anytime without having to change costumes. It could be a sign though that the Imagination Institute won't be around much longer though...

But EO's costumes have a EO patch over the front left. Imagination's does not. Unless those patches aren't sewn on, but I doubt Costuming would issue patches rather than securing them to the garment.

A CM told me what day Kodak moves out and that whoever is coming in is being kept secret.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom