Captain EO - Amazed

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I searched but didn't find anything... I am sure something is floating out there but I just had to share my experience with Captain EO. I am 26... just returned from the world last week and this was my first time seeing Captain EO.

It's visually stunning, and I can't say enough about the FFC / Lucas / MJ team! I am not sure if I saw this show during my younger years but I just missed it in May of 2010 and I am so glad I got a chance to see the show while it is here!

WDWmazprty

I searched but didn't find anything... I am sure something is floating out there but I just had to share my experience with Captain EO. I am 26... just returned from the world last week and this was my first time seeing Captain EO.

It's visually stunning, and I can't say enough about the FFC / Lucas / MJ team! I am not sure if I saw this show during my younger years but I just missed it in May of 2010 and I am so glad I got a chance to see the show while it is here!

really? wow. I'm glad you liked it.

Mukta

I love that show as well. The minds that had working on that project created something special.
I grew up with that show at DL. When it finally came back, I was there on opening day along with other hardcore fans. When Michael Jackson sang the first 'Whoo!" in the song, the whole audience did it with him. I have seen it dozens of times since it came back and I am still not bored by it.
Yesterday at work, I found my self doing parts of the dance while I had the song stuck in my head. That show is a huge piece of my childhood.

DisneyPrincess5

Wow glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!! Were very excited to experience this "new" attraction on our upcoming trip!! My mom saw it on her last trip in august and loved it too.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I love that show as well. The minds that had working on that project created something special.
I grew up with that show at DL. When it finally came back, I was there on opening day along with other hardcore fans. When Michael Jackson sang the first 'Whoo!" in the song, the whole audience did it with him. I have seen it dozens of times since it came back and I am still not bored by it.
Yesterday at work, I found my self doing parts of the dance while I had the song stuck in my head. That show is a huge piece of my childhood.

I am not quite sure when it closed at Epcot, but if I saw it I must have been 5 or 6. I found the complete ride audio on grooveshark... its awesome! In fact, the version of "Part of Me" in the film is better (IMHO) than the album version.

Wow glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!! Were very excited to experience this "new" attraction on our upcoming trip!! My mom saw it on her last trip in august and loved it too.

It's not a cheesy 3d movie... it's very well put together, visually stunning, good music, amazing. I am so damn surprised it left at all, for Honey I Shrunk the Audience! And another thing, its shown in film. So you have that beautiful grain that comes through, you know you're at the movies.

Pioneer Hall

Anyone know how long its gonna be around? I wanna see this movie so bad.

Predicitions have it around for another year or so.

I agree that it is a nice presentation and when you factor in when it was made, it is put together incredibly well. I do think that it is a bit cheesy for today's audience, but I enjoy it all the same.

WDW2010

I agree that it is a nice presentation and when you factor in when it was made, it is put together incredibly well. I do think that it is a bit cheesy for today's audience, but I enjoy it all the same.

I hope it's longer, on my last trip when I went there was a show going on so we didn't get a chance to go see it. Waited in line for Soarin' for about an hour and a half and still had a whole lot of the park left to do. Never seen it and I would definitely love to.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster

It has a serious star wars feel, ie the puppets and what not. But certainly not cheesy, I suppose I was referring to cheesy as in obvious 3d effects (like Muppets). This actually has a plot line.

the-reason14

Wow, this is a first. Lol. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's amazing, the only redeeming thing about it imo is the music which is what MJ was famous for. Everything else felt 'forced' in the sense that they thought they were creating something amazing when it really wasn't. But I still enjoy it though and try to see it a few times each trip.

Krack

The thing I most remember about Captain EO is the first year it was in the parks, Michael Jackson was such a big deal that when they showed his boots in the beginning of his entrance (and then they pan up from behind him) the audience went nuts. Every time. Applause, screaming, yelling. Now, of course, we all know the man's history since Captain EO, but at the time, it was something to see.

PirateFrank

Glad you liked it. Personally, I'll throw a party when they close down the freak show....given his history, it has no place in DisneyParks. but again, glad you liked it.

pumpkin7

i really enjoyed it too. of course, it looks like it was made in the 80's, so i wasn't expecting anything absolutally fantastic and up to date, but i'd always seen the 'preview' of it on the opening of euro disney but never got to see it, so in a sense it was part of my childhood too, even if it was only 10 seconds of clip. glad i got to see it too and would be happy if it stayed open until our next trip at least. it's timeless and i thought it was really well made and put together.
i love how they introduce it. '... and we present to you, in it's original 88*mm film, Captain EO!' made my heart skip a beat XD
*don't know exactly what he said here lol

I saw Captain EO for the first time on my trip in January (I just turned 17 in October) and was BLOWN AWAY! I really enjoyed it! I didn't think it would have been anything too great, considering it's pretty old to begin with and how sci-fi it seemed (I wasn't sure how it fits into the Imagination pavilion). But... wow! I understood immediately afterwards.

I enjoyed it so much that I got his t-shirt at the kiosk outside. :p I'm a sucker for retro shirts.

Rich1

I'm amazed...Amazed how awful this is. It has no place on property and its humorous how many guests think it is terrible. I swear ppl on these boards say its good just so they can vaguely defend MJ and pretend to be eccentric. It's absolute crap and belongs in the toilets in EPCOT and not in its own pavilion. What a joke!!! Please stop defending it bc u love Michael Jackson, I don't buy it! Every person on these boards knows its awful and that something better should be there.

Tigger1988

I'm amazed...Amazed how awful this is. It has no place on property and its humorous how many guests think it is terrible. I swear ppl on these boards say its good just so they can vaguely defend MJ and pretend to be eccentric. It's absolute crap and belongs in the toilets in EPCOT and not in its own pavilion. What a joke!!! Please stop defending it bc u love Michael Jackson, I don't buy it! Every person on these boards knows its awful and that something better should be there.

Seems like you need to learn that not everyone shares your opinion and that your opinion is not fact/gospel.

Rich1

Nope..I realize my opinion is just that. I also realize the majority agree with this particular opinion of mine. You can argue all u want but most guests HATE it. It's embarrassing the reaction that this load gets. God, I.wish I couple poll ppl walking out just so I could prove my my point. Believe me, I'd win.

menamechris

Nope..I realize my opinion is just that. I also realize the majority agree with this particular opinion of mine. You can argue all u want but most guests HATE it. It's embarrassing the reaction that this load gets. God, I.wish I couple poll ppl walking out just so I could prove my my point. Believe me, I'd win.

I think you are forgetting that the majority of people going and watching over the age of 30 have already seen it.... What exactly did you expect when you heard it was a film by George Lucas which basically incorporated Star Wars and Michael Jackson?

I don't think that it is fair for you to make assumptions based on your taste. Do you know how many people detest the "Celebrate a Dream Come True" parade? But yet, you have it listed as your favorite... Different strokes for different folks....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom