Captain EO - Amazed

datw@epcot

I'm amazed...Amazed how awful this is. It has no place on property and its humorous how many guests think it is terrible. I swear ppl on these boards say its good just so they can vaguely defend MJ and pretend to be eccentric. It's absolute crap and belongs in the toilets in EPCOT and not in its own pavilion. What a joke!!! Please stop defending it bc u love Michael Jackson, I don't buy it! Every person on these boards knows its awful and that something better should be there.

I completely disagree with you, so you're not speaking for this guy!

the-reason14

This would be a perfectly reasonable statement, except, most people do not know that EO is a 30 year old movie and a giant turd to boot. So what happens is, guests head in to see this atrocity and lose 20-30 minutes of their very expensive WDW vacation. Yes WDW should have something for ALMOST everyone. I do not think they need to feature a child molester though. But even aside from his very very questionable personal life. This attraction is a joke, and TDO should be ashamed of themselves for passing it off as quality entertainment.

Most people don't know a lot about 'crappy' disney shows or rides. People don't know about Narnia, yet they still line up for that. What's 'crappy' to one person may be 'gold' to another, so you can't judge what is good or bad to others based off of what you think. And it's from my understanding MJ was not guilty. He was an accused child molester that's all. Besides, he's dead, so why not have his show there. And I can think of at least 10 attractions at WDW that are a joke, and EO to me is not one of them.

Mickey_777

I like it. I first saw it last year at Disneyland before it came to Epcot. I'm a sucker for anything 80's and the "change the world" song, as cheesy as it is, reminds me of Disneyland and Epcot now so...yeah I like it.

NMBC1993

I agree that Captain EO is a great attraction. I love the characters and even though the storyline is cheesy, it's still a great adventure. After seeing it for the first time two months ago I thought to myself "Why can't Hollywood do this anymore?" What I mean by that is the quality of the environment and the costume designs. I'm personally sick of everything being CGI or enhanced by computers, and yes that includes James Cameron's Dances with Wolves in space. Heck even Indy 4 had way too much CGI even though Lucus said it would all be done practical. I know it's a cheaper way to create a film but I want to see a film using a combination of CGI and practical effects.

KRAKENvsMANTA

I remember growing up with Captain EO! As a fan of Michael Jackson, I remember the show being absolutely awesome! Going back to EPCOT for the first time since the show's re-opened, CAN'T WAIT! Old, cheesy, crappy, outdated were a few words used by others to describe this show; I don't care. I'm still going to enjoy it. And besides, couldn't the words old, cheesy, crappy, and outdated be used to describe a lot of the attractions at WDW?

mrerk

Premium Member
I'd like to see the numbers. Just based on my own observations, and nothing else, there seems to be a lot more traffic in that area than there was with HISTA.

graphite1326

Most people don't know a lot about 'crappy' disney shows or rides. People don't know about Narnia, yet they still line up for that. What's 'crappy' to one person may be 'gold' to another, so you can't judge what is good or bad to others based off of what you think. And it's from my understanding MJ was not guilty. He was an accused child molester that's all. Besides, he's dead, so why not have his show there. And I can think of at least 10 attractions at WDW that are a joke, and EO to me is not one of them.

Name the 10!

Dwarful

I didn't read all 4 pages...but how long is EO going to be open? We are going down in June w/several first timers. We saw it last summer...it was fair, but I think the 1st timers would like to catch it if its still open.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I didn't read all 4 pages...but how long is EO going to be open? We are going down in June w/several first timers. We saw it last summer...it was fair, but I think the 1st timers would like to catch it if its still open.

I doubt it'll be gone before the end of summer, if not the year....

sweetpee_1993

My 13 year old LOVED IT.. bought the T-shirt.. and a "Hooter" stuffed animal!!!

My wife, my 8 yo, and myself.. were not so impressed :rolleyes:

Perhaps in 1986 it would have been cool.. but seemed very dated and very cheesy to us now..

But hey.. my son loved it.. and I'm sure others liked it as well.. I don't need to see it again..

It wasn't.

I was 12 years old in 1986. My sibs/step-sibs were 10, 13, 14, & 14. Although we all like MJ's music at the time we all were totally baffled by how terrible we thought EO was. I guess we all had high expectations considering the 'Thriller' production and all. I think we'd have liked it better if MJ wasn't talking, there weren't any Muppetized puppets, and the plot was at least somewhat original and new. I was embarrassed for MJ. We only watched it once (we were locals back then) then hurried back over to the old Imageworks. :cool:

Fast forward 25 years and I'm back in the same theater with my sons (13 & 14 years old) and my hubby to give EO another spin because the boys really wanted to see MJ in his hey-day. I tried to explain to them that the videos they saw on YouTube were a far better showcase of MJ's work. As soon as MJ spoke the kids started laughing. "Is that his voice?!" "No. It's Janet. Of course that's his voice." When it was over they were a bit shocked...then concerned that what they'd seen was some sort of representation of the hubby & my 80s-fantastic childhoods. Not really. I'd say 'ET' & 'The Goonies' would be better choices. Good laugh all the way around. Aside from the yucks and neat use of the building's effects...um...yeah...EO is pretty sad. And I'm still embarrassed for MJ on that one. :lol:

Glad others enjoy it, tho. :wave:

graphite1326

Imagination, Nemo, Three cabs boat tour, sounds dangerous, narnia, country bears, monsters inc, stitch, primeval whirl, triceratop spin, aladdin spinner. I think that's 11, but still.

Sorry you have to take Nemo, Country Bears, Monster Inc., Primeval Whirl, Triceratop spin, & Aladdin Spinner (although AS is in the wrong place). Just becasue you don't like them alot of people do. You are in the minority on those.

Try again.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
A 25 year old movie about an ex pop icon, who has a very questionable personal life, has no business being put back into Future World. It is a cheap, and offensive solution to the mess that was HISTA. I am embarrassed even walking past this "attraction".

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Wow... I take a day off work and from the forum to St Paddys day and I come back to this! Personally, I am not even a fan of MJ (I actually thought he was a major creep) but doesnt take away from the music and dance in the show! I though the tunes were great in this show! Damn... guess I am alone on this one.

menamechris

Sorry you have to take Nemo, Country Bears, Monster Inc., Primeval Whirl, Triceratop spin, & Aladdin Spinner (although AS is in the wrong place). Just becasue you don't like them alot of people do. You are in the minority on those.

Try again.

I have to agree with him - these are the time-fillers in the parks. I love Country Bears because it is an original to the park - but honestly, these do tend to be the attractions people will skip unless they need to fill time before they can use their fastpass... :p

menamechris

A 25 year old movie about an ex pop icon, who has a very questionable personal life, has no business being put back into Future World. It is a cheap, and offensive solution to the mess that was HISTA. I am embarrassed even walking past this "attraction".

LOL- okay, don't be so dramatic. :wave: As you have seen on this thread, a lot of people like it. I like it. I am not looking for a serious, dramatic 3-D experience when I go to Epcot. EO is purely nostalgic for a lot of us - and when you think about it - thats pretty much what Disney has build their empire on - nostalgia.

bgraham34

I got to see that show last week and I was so happy I did. It brought back memories of being in Epcot as a kid. So glad they brought it back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom