Captain EO - Amazed

Tigger1988

A 25 year old movie about an ex pop icon, who has a very questionable personal life, has no business being put back into Future World. It is a cheap, and offensive solution to the mess that was HISTA. I am embarrassed even walking past this "attraction".

Then do us all a favor and don't go to Epcot then, less lines for everyone else and you can avoid the harrowing personal burden of being in the same park as EO. Everyone wins! :sohappy:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Then do us all a favor and don't go to Epcot then, less lines for everyone else and you can avoid the harrowing personal burden of being in the same park as EO. Everyone wins! :sohappy:

Your tireless defending of Mr. Jackson is truly inspiring. We get it, you love him. EO is still a terrible show.

Tigger1988

Your tireless defending of Mr. Jackson is truly inspiring. We get it, you love him. EO is still a terrible show.

Funny, I haven't actually said a single word about Mr.Jackson. Your lack of reading comprehension and flair for the dramatic are truly awe inspiring.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They don't line up with mine either nor cater to my tastes but I've learned to accept that Disney will never be willing to provide cheap drink and lose women. :shrug:

the-reason14

Sorry you have to take Nemo, Country Bears, Monster Inc., Primeval Whirl, Triceratop spin, & Aladdin Spinner (although AS is in the wrong place). Just becasue you don't like them alot of people do. You are in the minority on those.

Try again.

I don't have to take out any of them. The point is WDW is big enough to have something for everyone. If one thing is not up to my liking, then I don't have to do it and let the people who do like it enjoy it. The only real ones on my list that I truly dislike is Monsters inc and maybe Nemo. I'll do Nemo and the 3 cabs ride, but they as well as the others I mentioned can be seen in a lot of ways as a 'joke.'

JillC LI

Is Captain EO cheesy? Sure. Is the 3D a little blurry? Yep. Did I absolutely love seeing it for the first time two weeks ago? You bet your sweet petutie I did! Whatever you may think of Michael Jackson personally, his singing and dancing is amazing. I'm so glad I finally got the chance to see what was, for me, a very enjoyable attraction that I would see again (which is not something I would say about Country Bears Jamboree which I also visited for the first time two weeks ago - you couldn't pay me to see that again and I happen to be a fan of country music).

Kev1417

took my wife to see it for her first time in Sept. After seeing it she wanted to divorce me. This was my first time seeing it since i was very young and I didn't blame her for 1 second. horrible. I think what was the creepiest was the theater giving a standing ovation when MJ took to the camera. There was only about 20 people in there.

Would i prefer they do something else with the space, absolutely! Until then i'll just stay clear, no biggie. Lot's more stuff to do in the mean time.

For those that LOVE this show. If given the option of keeping the show or have an above average ride/show take it's place what would you rather have?

WDWmazprty

Yeah, Michael Jackson was a great performer, definitely the King of Pop, but as far as this show....not so much. I saw the original when I was a kid and it was..meh. Seeing it now, man, just bad. Horrible acting and corny characters. The best part was of course when Michael started to dance.

But, of course, to each their own. Would I rather see something else take its place, most definitely! But, I wont sweat it. Like Kev1417 said above, I'll just stay clear of it, there's so much other stuff to do.:wave:

menamechris

Would i prefer they do something else with the space, absolutely! Until then i'll just stay clear, no biggie. Lot's more stuff to do in the mean time.

For those that LOVE this show. If given the option of keeping the show or have an above average ride/show take it's place what would you rather have?

Well, it really shouldn't be an either/or situation. There is a completely empty building right next to it. Which begs the question - Does Disney plan on doing ANYTHING "above average" or even "average" at EPCOT in the near future? Personally, I would like to see all pavillions full and open before they even think of taking anything out.

Regarding EO - is it dated? Yes. At the time though - it was revolutionary for 3-D effects. In fact, I vaguely remember hearing that it was the most expensive 3-D movie for the time. Anyone who said it was unimpressive in 1986 must have been VERY young and not understood what they were seeing at the time...ha!

lebeau

I searched but didn't find anything... I am sure something is floating out there but I just had to share my experience with Captain EO. I am 26... just returned from the world last week and this was my first time seeing Captain EO.

It's visually stunning, and I can't say enough about the FFC / Lucas / MJ team! I am not sure if I saw this show during my younger years but I just missed it in May of 2010 and I am so glad I got a chance to see the show while it is here!

I thought it was cheesey, dated and not especially visually impressive when I saw it in 1988. Surely, it didn't get better? :shrug:

Your tireless defending of Mr. Jackson is truly inspiring. We get it, you love him. [I think] EO is still a terrible show.

Why does everyone seem to think that we are rabid fan boys and girls of Michael Jackson if we enjoyed watching Captain EO? Assuming something as ridiculous as that is very, very low of you (and everybody else that assumed so as well). I'm only familiar with a handful of his more prominent songs (Thriller, Beat It, Bad, PYT) and could otherwise care less.

I think Captain EO is a fantastic show. :wave:

inluvwithbeast

LOL- okay, don't be so dramatic. :wave: As you have seen on this thread, a lot of people like it. I like it. I am not looking for a serious, dramatic 3-D experience when I go to Epcot. EO is purely nostalgic for a lot of us - and when you think about it - thats pretty much what Disney has build their empire on - nostalgia.

I'm glad we're all satisfied with bringing back old shows because they make us think of our past.

I put this in another thread, but I'll say it here since it's more on-topic. I feel funny about EO. WDW really capitalized on MJ's death and fervor for all things MJ that occurred soon after. I can see it now... "Man since he died everyone is going crazy for all things MJ-related. We can bring back an old show and sell merch! HISTA isn't making ANY money through merch! And all the fanboys shall rejoice!"

I threw that last part in there myself. I doubt they said THAT. ;)

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Why does everyone seem to think that we are rabid fan boys and girls of Michael Jackson if we enjoyed watching Captain EO? Assuming something as ridiculous as that is very, very low of you (and everybody else that assumed so as well). I'm only familiar with a handful of his more prominent songs (Thriller, Beat It, Bad, PYT) and could otherwise care less.

I think Captain EO is a fantastic show. :wave:

I loved the show (as the OP) ... but I don't own a single song on my itunes from the king of pop, nor have I have I ever owned a single cd of his. I would hardly call myself a fan, doesnt mean I didnt enjoy the show... his moves and those songs are awesome man!

sweetpee_1993

Well, it really shouldn't be an either/or situation. There is a completely empty building right next to it. Which begs the question - Does Disney plan on doing ANYTHING "above average" or even "average" at EPCOT in the near future? Personally, I would like to see all pavillions full and open before they even think of taking anything out.

Regarding EO - is it dated? Yes. At the time though - it was revolutionary for 3-D effects. In fact, I vaguely remember hearing that it was the most expensive 3-D movie for the time. Anyone who said it was unimpressive in 1986 must have been VERY young and not understood what they were seeing at the time...ha!

As an adult now, I get that the production in itself was considered 'revolutionary' when it was made. As a kid in 1986 I think I was more impressed with watching Jaws III in 3D a few years earlier and that was a terrible movie. :lol: When it was touted as a must-see because it was so revolutionary prior to opening in '86 I think my sibs and I expected something far more earth-shattering creatively and musically comparable to what we deemed 'Thriller' to be when that was introduced. We just didn't get that from EO then and I certainly don't now. When we saw 'Thriller' we all wanted to wear what MJ did, dance like he did, change our names, etc. :lol: I don't ever recall wanting to immitate a single thing from EO. There's just no arguing, it wasn't MJ's, George Lucas', or Francis Ford Coppola's best work by faaaaar. There wasn't anything very impressive or earth-shattering about it.

Which leads me to the arguement I've heard in other EO threads that the reintroduction is perceived by some as a 'tribute' to MJ. Aside from my overwhelming feeling that it was more of a cheap cash-in on the hype surrounding his death, EO not having been MJ's better work by a large margin - I don't see how it could be perceived as a tribute. Okay well maybe if there had been things added to it such as footage of his better work either before or after the film, maybe a montage of his defining moments with some commentary or something. That would be a cool thing to see on a big screen. EO just doesn't capture that for me at all. Not even close.

But, hey, EO is great for some yucks and forehead smacking. :lol:

sweetpee_1993

I loved the show (as the OP) ... but I don't own a single song on my itunes from the king of pop, nor have I have I ever owned a single cd of his. I would hardly call myself a fan, doesnt mean I didnt enjoy the show... his moves and those songs are awesome man!

When I watched it again in January I tried to go into it with an open mind. The pre-show really got me jazzed and I had seen it in '86 AND clearly remember not being impressed. I can honestly say I enjoyed the experience of watching it again because it was funny in a kitschy way. I laughed a LOT. I'm in no hurry to go back because I was also reminded why I was so underwhelmed in '86 but I did make an effort to find something positive in the experience which I felt I did with success.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Truly.

And, gee whiz! Can you believe Angelica Houston on that?! Wowzers! The hubby didn't recognize her at all and she played a key character in his all-time favorite movie: Lonesome Dove!

Tinkerbell 8

EO closed a few years before my first trip to wdw, so when i found out it came back in 2010 i was excited to finally be able to see it on our upcoming trip in jan 2011. I'm not a "fan" of MJ, yeah i know some of his popular hits, but thats about it, however, it was a nice change that HISTA, which was getting very boring. I liked that the theater moved more, and yeah the 3d kinda sucked, but i was happy i finally got to see it. My DH on the other hand loves MJ, and he was so happy about EO that he bought a poster which is now hanging in our family room. Everyone is entitled to their own ideas, and i feel that wdw is pretty good at having something to please everyone. It also think its good that they didn't just take out HISTA and leave another empty building until they figured out what they were going to do.

thelookingglass

I never got to see EO in it's original run. I first saw it when it returned last summer, and initially I hated it, but I've seen it two more times since then and it has grown on me. I like the main song, and the way they utilized the HISTA theater effects is actually pretty awesome. Also, the sound quality is pretty amazing, given it's age.

That said, I don't see any reason for it to stay open past this coming summer and I hope they close it to make room for something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom