Captain EO - Amazed

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
How would all of you EO supporters feel if, when they eventually pull EO out, they just put HISTA back in? Would you be ok with that? Would it be ok to put that incredibly old, dated show back in to drum up temporary interest in the pavilion?

graphite1326

I don't have to take out any of them. The point is WDW is big enough to have something for everyone. If one thing is not up to my liking, then I don't have to do it and let the people who do like it enjoy it. The only real ones on my list that I truly dislike is Monsters inc and maybe Nemo. I'll do Nemo and the 3 cabs ride, but they as well as the others I mentioned can be seen in a lot of ways as a 'joke.'

In other words you can't do it.

graphite1326

I'm glad we're all satisfied with bringing back old shows because they make us think of our past.

I put this in another thread, but I'll say it here since it's more on-topic. I feel funny about EO. WDW really capitalized on MJ's death and fervor for all things MJ that occurred soon after. I can see it now... "Man since he died everyone is going crazy for all things MJ-related. We can bring back an old show and sell merch! HISTA isn't making ANY money through merch! And all the fanboys shall rejoice!"

I threw that last part in there myself. I doubt they said THAT. ;)

You bring up a very good point. It is kinda cold hearted on Disney's part if their goal was to make money on his death. I am sure this subject in one form or another was brought up in a meeting when the plans were started in bringing back EO. It had to, otherwise there would be no merchandise to buy.

How would all of you EO supporters feel if, when they eventually pull EO out, they just put HISTA back in? Would you be ok with that? Would it be ok to put that incredibly old, dated show back in to drum up temporary interest in the pavilion?

If this is your way of putting your opinion of the show into perspective (replacing HISTA with Captain EO), then all right, I can accept that. I don't mind if you don't enjoy it.

But to answer your question, no, I probably would not be ecstatic. Although, unlike a vast majority of those on the forums, I only recently saw the show for the first time about a year or two ago (along with It's Tough to Be a Bug). Since I was too scared to sit through it when I was younger, I toughened up and watched it for the first time in ten years, and kind of liked it. If it eventually replaced EO (which it probably will), I'd be glad to sit through it a few more times before they figure out what else to make of the space. :shrug:

Krack

The difference, of course, is that HISTA wouldn't drum up temporary interest. For years you had people say Captain EO was the best thing they ever had in the Magic Eye Theater. You never hear that about HISTA; pretty much from Year Two, people were "blah" regarding the attraction. Like it or not, the same was not true of EO. Captain EO reminds people of EPCOT Center's glory days (pre-94), not the Epcot shell we have today. And that's why there was a nostalgic clamoring for it for years. The same would be true if you mentioned Horizons, JII, Imageworks, Cranium Command and even probably the Kitchen Kaberet were coming back. HISTA? Not so much.

graphite1326

In other words if eo is a joke, then the rides/show I mentioned are a joke as well. So let all of these 'jokes' exist in WDW, and let the people who like them do them and don't, don't.

You're the one who started it. You wanted to get rid of 10 rides YOU didn't like, and now you have reversed yourself. Are you a politition or something. I'm fine with what u stated above.

the-reason14

You're the one who started it. You wanted to get rid of 10 rides YOU didn't like, and now you have reversed yourself. Are you a politition or something. I'm fine with what u stated above.

I never said I wanted to get rid of them, I simply said that those 10 rides could be labeled as a joke by me and possibly many others the same way you could label eo as a joke. Several of those rides I actually do and enjoy for what they are, but most of them are indeed jokes. I wouldn't vote to get rid of them though, well maybe 1 or 2, but I know that some people enjoy them so live and let live.

AEfx

The thing I most remember about Captain EO is the first year it was in the parks, Michael Jackson was such a big deal that when they showed his boots in the beginning of his entrance (and then they pan up from behind him) the audience went nuts. Every time. Applause, screaming, yelling. Now, of course, we all know the man's history since Captain EO, but at the time, it was something to see.

That's how it still is, at least at Disneyland.

I haven't seen it at WDW, but I saw it a good half-dozen times there, and every single time, people started yelling when they saw the boots. (It may also be appropriate to note that the large majority of the crowd was African-American throughout all my visits).

Nope..I realize my opinion is just that. I also realize the majority agree with this particular opinion of mine.

Link to your proof?

#7 The theatre itself is moldy and smelly. #8 and I'm bothered when ppl take time out of their day for something they clearly didn't enjoy when they left. This is just as bad as the Narnia atrocity.

You sure seem to be spending quite a bit of time there analyzing things for someone who says they don't care about it, and in fact, hate it.

They don't line up with mine either nor cater to my tastes but I've learned to accept that Disney will never be willing to provide cheap drink and lose women. :shrug:

Pumbas, after all these years of knowing you I refuse to believe you have not ridden on POTC. ;)

I'd do exactly as I did before - I just would avoid the theater and do things that I do enjoy.

See how that works? If you don't like an attraction, Disney has this new thing - they no longer force you to go on at gunpoint. Apparently, WDWMAGIC is also going to be refurbished soon so no longer will people who don't like an attraction be threatened with bodily harm if they don't enter a thread about the attraction they do not like to repeatedly post, complain, and degrade other people who enjoy it.

Crazy, huh?

graphite1326

I never said I wanted to get rid of them, I simply said that those 10 rides could be labeled as a joke by me and possibly many others the same way you could label eo as a joke. Several of those rides I actually do and enjoy for what they are, but most of them are indeed jokes. I wouldn't vote to get rid of them though, well maybe 1 or 2, but I know that some people enjoy them so live and let live.

I never said EO was a joke. For it's time it was a very good attraction. However, it is well beyond it's time.

That being said, I can see that a younger audience would really enjoy this show. But for me, I am neither a fan/nor non-fan of MJ. I am more of a a rock-n-roll person and never listened to his music.

Disneydreamer23

Glad you liked it on the other hand I was sitting there with 1 eye brow raised the whole time. I will never watch that show again. It Creeped me out to say the least!

Disneybird

They don't line up with mine either nor cater to my tastes but I've learned to accept that Disney will never be willing to provide cheap drink and lose women. :shrug:

:lol:
Where would you like them to lose the women at?

My party of 7 saw Captain EO for the first time in many years, in December. Six of us walked out shaking our hands and saying that was 20 minutes of our life we'll never get back.
The 7th person, well she was 80 years old. :shrug:

the-reason14

I never said EO was a joke. For it's time it was a very good attraction. However, it is well beyond it's time.

That being said, I can see that a younger audience would really enjoy this show. But for me, I am neither a fan/nor non-fan of MJ. I am more of a a rock-n-roll person and never listened to his music.

You're right, it was someone else who called it a joke. My mistake. Well I was never a huge MJ fan either until he passed. I always enjoyed some of his music, it wasn't until later that I began enjoying a lot of his other music so that's probably why I enjoy eo just for the music. Everything else about it is horrible. Not a fan of rock n roll, never have been. Probably why I don't enjoy rock n roller coaster that much. But see, WDW is big enough to have something to please everyone. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom