Calling all Moms!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Can you really imagine them not wanting to sell their product, and really admit that sometimes things aren't perfect in WDW?

We all like Disney, that's why we're here - but most of us can admit they royally screw things up sometimes. I can't say I feel their forum will promote any openness or discussion about such topics.

They're trying to recreate their own version of the DISBoards. The DISBoard, as nice as the people are, tend to be full of folks who just gush about everything at Disney World. They're not realistic and advice from there is often poor quality. They wont accept that there are things wrong with Disney World.

Like the Peter Pan ride comment... can you really say the first response of "Oh, your older kids will love it!" is not something you'd expect to see on such a website rather then more realistic and practical advice?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Oh - and the application...

100 Words - Who You Are

100 Words - Your Family

100 Words - Why you should be a Disney Mom

No theorhetical situations, no realistic questions or problems, no quiz about amenities or services or anything.. just questions to weed people out if they're not a gushing Disney-loving mother of 2-3 lovely children.

Really - 100 words? To show you have an expert level knowledge of WDW?

Nemo14

Oh - and the application...

100 Words - Who You Are

100 Words - Your Family

100 Words - Why you should be a Disney Mom

No theorhetical situations, no realistic questions or problems, no quiz about amenities or services or anything.. just questions to weed people out if they're not a gushing Disney-loving mother of 2-3 lovely children.

Really - 100 words? To show you have an expert level knowledge of WDW?
That's just the preliminary screening - there will certainly be more in-depth questions on the next round.

danv3

I think merf is right on here...Disney doesn't want people who are going to "tell it like it is." They're looking for people who are going to "tell it like Disney wants it to be told." :zipit:

I can't really say I blame them. I understand they don't want to fund a forum where people are going to rip them. But for the same reason, I can't see why I'd ever spend a lot of time on their boards when you can get a little more of the unvarnished truth elsewhere.

DDuckFan130

My mom would be one of those optimistic ones. And she's been going for decades now to MK, Epcot, and so forth. She loves informing her co-workers that all 3 of her kids are of adult age, but that we still love traveling to WDW as a family. Not because we love looking for what is wrong in the parks or what annoys us, but what makes it so magical that we keep coming back to it.

:wave:

maggiegrace1

The thing is most people do have great things to say about Disney..

Of course there are problems at Disney and things go wrong but Disney is a place that people go to get away from their everday stresses and have fun...I know that when I go there I do not look for and rarely see anything bad or wrong..

If you do that then you will find wrong..but why look?

They want people who truly love and enjoy Disney and who will give people the information that is important to them.

We do not know what every teen or tween or adult will like..Some adults like riding Dumbo while some teens hate Space Mountain..every one is different and Disney is asking for people to give their input..what they think will help others.

So merf...while what you are saying may be true for some..well that is YOUR opinion..and not every one will agree with your opinion.

I for one am an adult who before I had my daughter HAD to do every ride in Fantasyland before I did everything else because I enjoyed it while Space was not something I wanted to do.

Alos..danv3...as for this comment.." I can't see why I'd ever spend a lot of time on their boards when you can get a little more of the unvarnished truth elsewhere."

I do not come to this board looking for bad things about Disney..I come here to share my love of Disney with everyone and get information on the place that I love..not to read about the problems that are there.

That is just my opinion though..

Nemo14

Of course there are problems at Disney and things go wrong but Disney is a place that people go to get away from their everday stresses and have fun...I know that when I go there I do not look for and rarely see anything bad or wrong..

They want people who truly love and enjoy Disney and who will give people the information that is important to them.

We do not know what every teen or tween or adult will like..Some adults like riding Dumbo while some teens hate Space Mountain..every one is different and Disney is asking for people to give their input..what they think will help others.

So merf...while what you are saying may be true for some..well that is YOUR opinion..and not every one will agree with your opinion.

I for one am an adult who before I had my daughter HAD to do every ride in Fantasyland before I did everything else because I enjoyed it while Space was not something I wanted to do.

Alos..danv3...as for this comment.." I can't see why I'd ever spend a lot of time on their boards when you can get a little more of the unvarnished truth elsewhere."

I do not come to this board looking for bad things about Disney..I come here to share my love of Disney with everyone and get information on the place that I love..not to read about the problems that are there.

That is just my opinion though..
Great post Dana!

SpenceMan01

I'm neither a woman, nor do I have kids, but I applied anyway. It sounds like a ton of fun being able to spout our love for Disney World in an official manner. :D

Be available to travel to Walt Disney World® Resort from December 8-12, 2007.

When are they filming the Christmas parade? I suspect they'll be promoting it during the parade... doing interviews with the panelists and such.

Kristamouse

UMMMMMMM Merf, I will tell them whatever they want for a free trip!:wave:
For example, I love the wand, will it be back soon? No, Pooh's playful spot is a great use of space (my kids do love this) and I think ticket prices are a value for all of the family fun you get at WDW parks....:hurl:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I gotta say the whole "Mom" thing is a complete turn off. It's like they're shooting for an audience group which pretty much excludes me if that's the basis of their forums.

Also, i'm fairly certain they dont want people with lots of WDW experience - rather people who will regurgigtate the latest press releases and speils.
Watch the video on the website..

"Will my older kids find Peter Pan boring?"

Likely desired "Disney Mom" answer: "Of course not! It's so magical that everyone can enjoy it and the little details!"

Reality w/ good advice: "Yes, there is a very good chance your tween will think it's ridiculous. Use FastPass so you don't have to wait in a long line and ask them to atleast give it a try - maybe bargain that it's just a stop on the way to Haunted Mansion or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad."

I can't wait to see these forums *sigh* Disboards 2.0

Can you really imagine them not wanting to sell their product, and really admit that sometimes things aren't perfect in WDW?

We all like Disney, that's why we're here - but most of us can admit they royally screw things up sometimes. I can't say I feel their forum will promote any openness or discussion about such topics.

I have to agree with Merf here. I am a realist / slightly pessimistic. I dont want some sugary coated, glossy, Disney PR spoon fed to moms... then to fed us (end user/forum reader) forum. I wanna know if Pan is a pain... and that it always has at least a 45-60min stand by, even in the Sept/Oct 'off season'... and even during EMH and the various other after hours hard ticket events.

I want the truth... and thats the main reason why I come here to wdwmagic. If I wanted fluff and "everything in WDW is perfect and coated in sugary goodness" then I will go to DIS or some other gawd awful forums. True.. that there are some haters and some really negative folks on here... but dont count me as one. I love the parks.. but I wanna know whats going on and why. I like the details... no matter what they are (postive or even negative).

I dont think Merf is being negative here... I see it coming to.. spoon fed surgar coated glossy forums... feeding people nothing but the company line.

danv3 has a very vaild point here to. I to like the unvarnished stuff. But that does not mean that I am a negative Nancy at the parks, trying to find the wrong things, bad stuff, and poor show. :lol: I go to have fun and escape the real world, which is full of bad show in itself (the real world) . :lol: I just dont want some sugary coated forum.. feeding me something straight from Disney Public Relations writers and managers... which.. is what this sounds like it will be (albeit...slightly watered down via middle man [or mom in this case]). /allegedly.

atterris

I just applied and I am not a mom. However I am part of a large family and have lots of friends that I convince to go on trips and then they too become disney crazy like me. Who knows but a free trip would be nice:)

CSUFSteve

UMMMMMMM Merf, I will tell them whatever they want for a free trip!:wave:
For example, I love the wand, will it be back soon? No, Pooh's playful spot is a great use of space (my kids do love this) and I think ticket prices are a value for all of the family fun you get at WDW parks....:hurl:

This just CRACKED me up!! Thanks for that! :lol:

I have to agree with Merf here. I am a realist / slightly pessimistic. I dont want some sugary coated, glossy, Disney PR spoon fed to moms... then to fed us (end user/forum reader) forum.

Ahh, but ya gotta admit, aren't those vacation DVD's great fun to laugh at? I mean, those of us on here are obviously huge Disney fans. We get it and we enjoy it enough we frequent Internet sites about it. We all probably go fairly regularly (or at least, know we're going to a Disney park when we can go!). But still, those DVD's are sooooooooooo gushing. I would love to see one of those families in the Park and ask them for their behind-the-scenes commentary. I do believe those families say that stuff, but it would be so funny to see a blooper reel of Disney approaching a family, interviewing them, and the family goes off: on bus transport, on lines, on whatever. That would just be funny as heck!

Some of my Disney friends, we get together for Disney movie nights, and one night we watched the latest WDW video. It was just a riot. We were doing running commentary throughout the whole thing. I have never laughed so hard. But obviously we all love Disney - we watched the whole DVD for cryin' out loud. I think at some point though we just turned down the volume and looked at the images, haha

sissa216

But I think the type of people who will go to their forum for advice are probably the type of people who are first or infrequent visitors to wdw; they will probably be the type who would just "wing it", thinking they've been to amusement parks before, how hard can it be?

The type of people who are serious about planning out their vacations will find sites like these.
At least it will expose them to some sort of guidance, or maybe make them realize that they have much more planning to do.

I applied yesterday, I'm not a mom either.
(so if nothing else, it looks like we're all giving the real moms a much better chance of getting selected :lol:)

The thing is most people do have great things to say about Disney...
...That is just my opinion though..

I totally agree with your post too.

Laura

Premium Member
But I think the type of people who will go to their forum for advice are probably the type of people who are first or infrequent visitors to wdw; they will probably be the type who would just "wing it", thinking they've been to amusement parks before, how hard can it be?

The type of people who are serious about planning out their vacations will find sites like these.
At least it will expose them to some sort of guidance, or maybe make them realize that they have much more planning to do.

I applied yesterday, I'm not a mom either.
(so if nothing else, it looks like we're all giving the real moms a much better chance of getting selected :lol:)

I totally agree with your post too.

Exactly...it sounds like a forum to give advice to first time guests (moms are the target audience of course). Not a forum for established fans..

maelstrom

I agree with Merf. Here at Magic, we talk about the good AND bad of WDW. They want those sugar-coated stepford wives over at the DisBoards. I'll admit that I do post there, but it's usually honestly to say something snarky to get people riled up. I'm going to hell, I know.

Your teenager will probably hate WDW, sorry. No, they don't want to go on IASW or Peter Pan. In typical teenage sulky fashion, they may begrudingly agree to go on RNRC or Everest, and even though they're super excited about them, they can't let you know they're excited, because that ruins the angsty teen image. Your ten year old doesn't need a stroller at WDW, no. Make your kid walk; exercise is good. I don't wanna hear about their small and tired feet; my feet are smaller, guaranteed. You do not need to bring a rolling cooler into the park. Disney World is not a third world country; they will provide you with food and drink (albeit at a high markup). Being in a wheelchair does not mean you automatically get to go to the front of the line; stop hogging the wheelchairs and let the people who really need them use them. If little Adam or Jane gets tired, cranky, or irritable during the day, for the sanity of everyone in the park, please take them back to the hotel for a nap/rest. I don't want to listen to your child scream incessantly while you do absolutely nothing to stop it. Not having a firm grasp of the English language (or pretending not to) is not an excuse for rudeness. If your child is terrified of the characters, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT bring them near the characters. It will not cure them, it will cause a mass meltdown. I don't want to be kicked, smacked, ran into, or tripped by your precious little angel and/or their stroller that they are probably way too big for anyway. If you really can't keep tabs on your kid, get a leash. If you don't really want to parent, give your children to someone who does. Having children does not give you first priority in everything. Adults like WDW too, so yes, I AM entitled to my dinner at Chef Mickey's. You don't get to go in first because you have kids. I get to go in first because I called at 7:00a 180 days out to make my reservation for 5:00p. If you had done the same, you'd be going in now too. Having a child does not make you more important.

What do you guys think? I'm a shoe-in, right? :D

Shrike

It says they are calling all "moms," but the bottom of the page states:
"It is our policy to provide equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, (male or female), sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law."

Does that mean that us Dads have a chance too?

As a complete aside, can one really not use the term "______" on this board? I guess I'll find out once I post this, but it seems odd that the proper terminology couldn't be used. Words have a gender...and while we can ascribe gender-based descriptors to them, people have a ______. Even for those of you who answered the question (when such things were allowed by the PC police) with a snarky "yes.":kiss:

Speaking of the PC police, I wonder where they are considering the overt sexism of the linked website? Considering the raw number of touchy-feely leftists who post here regularly, I'd have thought to see some considerable expressions of outrage, fine print disclaimer notwithstanding. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom