Calling all Moms!

NewfieFan

Original Poster
I agree with Merf. Here at Magic, we talk about the good AND bad of WDW. They want those sugar-coated stepford wives over at the DisBoards. I'll admit that I do post there, but it's usually honestly to say something snarky to get people riled up. I'm going to hell, I know.

Your teenager will probably hate WDW, sorry. No, they don't want to go on IASW or Peter Pan. In typical teenage sulky fashion, they may begrudingly agree to go on RNRC or Everest, and even though they're super excited about them, they can't let you know they're excited, because that ruins the angsty teen image. Your ten year old doesn't need a stroller at WDW, no. Make your kid walk; exercise is good. I don't wanna hear about their small and tired feet; my feet are smaller, guaranteed. You do not need to bring a rolling cooler into the park. Disney World is not a third world country; they will provide you with food and drink (albeit at a high markup). Being in a wheelchair does not mean you automatically get to go to the front of the line; stop hogging the wheelchairs and let the people who really need them use them. If little Adam or Jane gets tired, cranky, or irritable during the day, for the sanity of everyone in the park, please take them back to the hotel for a nap/rest. I don't want to listen to your child scream incessantly while you do absolutely nothing to stop it. Not having a firm grasp of the English language (or pretending not to) is not an excuse for rudeness. If your child is terrified of the characters, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT bring them near the characters. It will not cure them, it will cause a mass meltdown. I don't want to be kicked, smacked, ran into, or tripped by your precious little angel and/or their stroller that they are probably way too big for anyway. If you really can't keep tabs on your kid, get a leash. If you don't really want to parent, give your children to someone who does. Having children does not give you first priority in everything. Adults like WDW too, so yes, I AM entitled to my dinner at Chef Mickey's. You don't get to go in first because you have kids. I get to go in first because I called at 7:00a 180 days out to make my reservation for 5:00p. If you had done the same, you'd be going in now too. Having a child does not make you more important.

What do you guys think? I'm a shoe-in, right? :D

I'm guessing you don't have kids!?!:veryconfu

Shrike

I agree with Merf. Here at Magic, we talk about the good AND bad of WDW. They want those sugar-coated stepford wives over at the DisBoards. I'll admit that I do post there, but it's usually honestly to say something snarky to get people riled up. I'm going to hell, I know.

Your teenager will probably hate WDW, sorry. No, they don't want to go on IASW or Peter Pan. In typical teenage sulky fashion, they may begrudingly agree to go on RNRC or Everest, and even though they're super excited about them, they can't let you know they're excited, because that ruins the angsty teen image. Your ten year old doesn't need a stroller at WDW, no. Make your kid walk; exercise is good. I don't wanna hear about their small and tired feet; my feet are smaller, guaranteed. You do not need to bring a rolling cooler into the park. Disney World is not a third world country; they will provide you with food and drink (albeit at a high markup). Being in a wheelchair does not mean you automatically get to go to the front of the line; stop hogging the wheelchairs and let the people who really need them use them. If little Adam or Jane gets tired, cranky, or irritable during the day, for the sanity of everyone in the park, please take them back to the hotel for a nap/rest. I don't want to listen to your child scream incessantly while you do absolutely nothing to stop it. Not having a firm grasp of the English language (or pretending not to) is not an excuse for rudeness. If your child is terrified of the characters, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT bring them near the characters. It will not cure them, it will cause a mass meltdown. I don't want to be kicked, smacked, ran into, or tripped by your precious little angel and/or their stroller that they are probably way too big for anyway. If you really can't keep tabs on your kid, get a leash. If you don't really want to parent, give your children to someone who does. Having children does not give you first priority in everything. Adults like WDW too, so yes, I AM entitled to my dinner at Chef Mickey's. You don't get to go in first because you have kids. I get to go in first because I called at 7:00a 180 days out to make my reservation for 5:00p. If you had done the same, you'd be going in now too. Having a child does not make you more important.

What do you guys think? I'm a shoe-in, right? :D

I'd hire you!

/applause

I applied. A mommy can dream of a free trip right? My husband says I have a better chance of hitting the MegaMillions Jackpot so I really shouldn't get my hopes up. MMMMM...that was like a warm hug.

I don't care what kind of opinion that they want, I could say that I was "hired" by walt disney world. maybe that wouldn't be entirely true, but in my own small world that would be what I would tell myself:D.

danv3

Alos..danv3...as for this comment.." I can't see why I'd ever spend a lot of time on their boards when you can get a little more of the unvarnished truth elsewhere."

I do not come to this board looking for bad things about Disney..I come here to share my love of Disney with everyone and get information on the place that I love..not to read about the problems that are there.

That is just my opinion though..

Don't misunderstand me, I don't come here to hear only bad stuff...it's just that I want something more than pure sugary goodness. I want to read sites where people are free to say when Disney makes a dumb move does something wrong (even though we all agree there's a lot more to love than there is to complain about).

JimboJones123

I'll be applying for myself. And for my wife. If she get's the spot, I do the work. She would be superexcited to win the trip but wouldn't committ to the role. So, I'd just be her for the online forum. And does anybody know the time of the 3:00 parade?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I guess my problem is pretty basic..

Who here really thinks they know more or would be better at giving advice then Len?

But, instead of Len and people like him, they'll pick a series of "moms" who have been three times in 6 years and will do nothing but gush.

Really, everyone who applied, do you honestly think you're more qualified then people like Len?

DDuckFan130

Who here really thinks they know more or would be better at giving advice then Len?

But, instead of Len and people like him, they'll pick a series of "moms" who have been three times in 6 years and will do nothing but gush.

Really, everyone who applied, do you honestly think you're more qualified then people like Len?
Then wouldn't we include Deb Wills, Steve, and all those other people who have created our WDW "bibles" (so to speak)?

I bought the unofficial guide a few years ago, and I think it's a great resource for someone who barely goes to WDW or who doesn't know much. In reality, I didn't need the book and I know my mom wouldn't either. We know enough and have experienced enough from going so much :shrug:

PhotoDave219

... I'd put myself on equal status as Len. I went about 1 out of every 3 days for 3 years straight. So i know a thing or two about a thing or two.

For once i agree with you Merf, they're going about it the wrong way... unless you realize what they're up to. This is all a marketing ploy. I used to work in WDW research, i read the questions and there are no negative answers in the surveys.

Its just about marketing... not real advice giving.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As a complete aside, can one really not use the term "______" on this board? I guess I'll find out once I post this, but it seems odd that the proper terminology couldn't be used. Words have a gender...and while we can ascribe gender-based descriptors to them, people have a ______. Even for those of you who answered the question (when such things were allowed by the PC police) with a snarky "yes.":kiss:

Speaking of the PC police, I wonder where they are considering the overt sexism of the linked website? Considering the raw number of touchy-feely leftists who post here regularly, I'd have thought to see some considerable expressions of outrage, fine print disclaimer notwithstanding. :shrug:

It always amuses me that you can say sexual, but you can't say ______.
You can say truck but you can't say tr__________g.
You can say Richard Tracy, but you can't say ________ Tracy.
You can go deer hunting and shoot a buck, but if you protest the status quo you can't say you are b__________g the system.

I don't think most people do...but honestly, most people that go to Disney don't have the time and energy to put as much research into the parks as the people on these forums do. The sheer amount of information is overwhelming. I think they want forums for people who just want the bare bones of what they need to know, coming from the focus of mothers planning trips for their families. - which is not necessarily the perspective of some other forums about Disneyworld.

I spend hours on these and other forums, and have learned loads of useful information from them. But I'm not the target audience for the moms forum, I don't think.

Also, I hope they *do* keep their forums positive. It would differentiate theirs from forums like wdwmagic, and it would give people a place to go if they don't like the negativity that is sure to arise on every thread on this site. (I like hearing both sides to an issue - but not everyone does. *shrugs*)

Phonedave

Well as a single dad of two youg girls, I applied. I doubt I fit the target demographic, but then maybe they want people to answer under an assumed name.

I assume this panel would be answering family type questions. Having brought my kids to WDW numerous times, both with my ex, with my ex and in-laws, and by myself, I feel that I do have a unique perspective. I know the interesting wonders of being a single dad with 5 and 7 year old girls when your 5 year old wets herself from laughting too hard. Quick - what shops in MK and EPCOT sell kids underwear - I know, do you? :)

Trust me, I can complain about cracked pavement, chipped paint, understaffed custodial CM's, misplaced theming, and other things with the best of them (and I have) but I am not going to tell someone who asks "will my teenager like Peter Pan" about chipped paint. I would say, it depends on your teenager. But there are a variety of other things a teen may want to do in the area such as SM, SM, BTMRR, HM or other assorted attractions. Use either a cell phone or FRS raidos (with the volume low/off so as not to disturb other guests) to keep in touch, that way your entire party can enjoy themselves. Thats a factual answer and in no way pandering.

-dave

santa's surpriz

I do not think it is a question, who is more qualified. The point is Disney is aware of the millions of people on the forums on the many " #1 unofficial" Disney websites. There is a missed market by not having their own version. You have to admit allears, wdwmagic, DIS, etc have loyal members that visit everyday. It is good business sense by allowing visitors to get the same in information directly from the Disney website. There will be a greater opportunity to cross-sell Disney Travel Co and other services Disney offers. One factor to consider...where are all the so called "expert mom's" most likely to get their info? From Deb and Len's publications, of course. Disney would not have seen the need if were not for them. They are pioneers of the Disney fansites. Hopefully these 10-12 mom's will be ethical enough to site there sources appropriately.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My wife applied. She's been to WDW about 10 times, 6 without kid, and 4 with. As for qualifications, who knows what Disney is looking for. My wife doesn't know WDW nearly as well as I do (I've been on over 30 trips), but she still notices things I don't because she thinks differently than I do.

Crazy4WDW1

I applied as well. I figured for the past 7 years I've gone to WDW 3 -4 times a year, with kids and some trips without. I sure hope to get picked. :)

mousefan1972

So I just saw on allears.net that Disney has received the maximum 10,000 applicants and has closed the contest! :eek: It was originally supposed to run until November.
Did anyone who applied hear anything at all from Disney, even an email confirming that they got your application? I didn't. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom