Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Because they actually used to use them. Then one year they got big giant sunflowers on them for the Flower and Garden festival, and the next year they tore them down and built a butterfly garden.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Why did they have satellites there?
Back in the days when Epcot was dull and boring with no thrill rides, they used to provide satellite tv for guests visiting the attractions to keep them entertained. This offering would be ultimately replaced by characters and thrilling adventures featuring Nemo and Friends, the Three Caballeros, and Gary Sinise. Interestingly, in a return to classic Epcot, the Spaceship Earth Time Machine vehicles are being retrofitted with plasma screen tvs to once again offer satellite tv to all guests. This was deemed necessary following the decision to remove the Wand, so there will no longer be anything sparkly to keep guests entertained in the entrance area.

lilredfoxie

Things that are still wrong on the newest map:

Color of Living Seas
Towers at Innoventions no longer exist
East Satellites no longer exist
Joy of Tea is not on the map

It looks like the Innoventions East building isnt shaped properly either, the buldge where Epcot Computer Central was isnt on there?

SDav10495

It looks like the Innoventions East building isnt shaped properly either, the buldge where Epcot Computer Central was isnt on there?

Neither of the Innoventions buildings is shaped correctly--they're too slender and, as you mention, don't include the "bulges" at the ends. Like all the other buildings on the map they're just rendered that way so they can look as perfect as they can on the map--so the layout of the park will read more easily, I would assume.

Vernonpush

I have said it before and I will say it again:

There have always been, and will always be, dolts who have no idea they're in a Disney park if it's not Magic Kingdom.

If we say there need to be wands and hats to let the aforementioned dolts know what's up, we are admitting that wands and hats are really there to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's not a demographic that major design decisions should be based upon.

Now, please don't think I'm saying these people are base and unintelligent (I just know that's going to offend someone who will see right past my point). I'm sure folks with PhDs make the same mistake. All I'm saying is wands and hats never stopped everyone from making those mistakes. I hear people all the time in Epcot, MGM, and Animal Kingdom--on park grounds, with said wands and hats staring them in the face--saying that they "already did Disney World the other day". I hear it a few times every trip, and it's clear that's not going to change. But it's hardly "everyone I talk to", nor is it even close to the majority of park guests.

I maintain that you can love the wand all you want, but I think the "Disney recognition" argument for why it should stay up is a rather silly one considering relatively few guests are really that ignorant about their surroundings (and those who are should clearly be more aware of where they're spending their day and their money). In the minds of those who love the wand, there should be better reasons why you'd like it to stay than "it reminds people they're in Disney World".

People think that the Magic Kingom is called Disney World. Of course it had no wand, no hat, no neon sign on the castle, hitting them up side their head to drive the park's name into their brain. "We're going to Epcot this morning then to Disney World tonight to see the fireworks and Tinkerbell". Part of the problem is the "World Wide Marketing" campaigns that show video of parts of all the Disney Resorts into a homogenized "Disney". :shrug:

I am not a big fan of the wand just because of its placement. But I think it would look nice right next to the hat in MGM. It would fit in much better. I am just happy the arm is coming down! :ROFLOL:

kcnole

I must be overlooking it but where are these satellites you're mentioning found on the map? I've looked several times and just don't see them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I must be overlooking it but where are these satellites you're mentioning found on the map? I've looked several times and just don't see them.

epcotmaplarge.jpg

PeeplMoovr

Take this for what it's worth - and it's a RUMOR only - but I was told by my someone reliable that the wand was scheduled to come down during the 3rd week in July, just after the ride closes. I thought this was way too early considering the recent discussions going on here, but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone knew something specific about planned dates.

Of course, I might be having my leg pulled, and seeing as how I can't wait until it comes down he may have just been trying to get me anticipating, only to find that darn wand still up there come July. :shrug:

Okay to go about your business now...

DisneyDellsDude

Back in the days when Epcot was dull and boring with no thrill rides, they used to provide satellite tv for guests visiting the attractions to keep them entertained. This offering would be ultimately replaced by characters and thrilling adventures featuring Nemo and Friends, the Three Caballeros, and Gary Sinise. Interestingly, in a return to classic Epcot, the Spaceship Earth Time Machine vehicles are being retrofitted with plasma screen tvs to once again offer satellite tv to all guests. This was deemed necessary following the decision to remove the Wand, so there will no longer be anything sparkly to keep guests entertained in the entrance area.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.
So that's why they built the wand!:rolleyes: :lol:

SDav10495

OK--I know there will (hopefully) be tons of photo updates as the wand comes down, but I'd like to put in a request...can someone who goes to the parks regularly take a lot of shots from the same angle each time they check up on the wand removal? I'd love to be able to flip through all of them and watch it happen like a time-elapse movie. :lol: Maybe I'll even make an animation out of them and play it on a constant loop...

SirNim

OK--I know there will (hopefully) be tons of photo updates as the wand comes down, but I'd like to put in a request...can someone who goes to the parks regularly take a lot of shots from the same angle each time they check up on the wand removal? I'd love to be able to flip through all of them and watch it happen like a time-elapse movie. :lol: Maybe I'll even make an animation out of them and play it on a constant loop...
*waits for someone to take all the photographs of the wand's construction, reverse the order, turn it into a QuickTime time-lapse movie, and claim that the wand has already been taken down!*

scottnj1966

I will be happy to get pictures of it coming down but no one will know its coming down until someone actually sees it coming down.

Most cast members do not know any specifics of a major job.

To this day most cast members do not know what is going up next to the Contemporary.

Unplugged

I will be happy to get pictures of it coming down but no one will know its coming down until someone actually sees it coming down.

Not quite true....there are always walls erected around areas that will be construction (or in this case demolition). The walls and potentially crane & equipment will most assuredly be brought in at least one day prior. Bringing something like that down is not going to be a quick in and out over night. That area had walls up during construction, it will have as many or more when it comes down.

"Watch for the walls and crane and you will witness enlightenment, grasshopper."

CaptainMichael

Now, please don't think I'm saying these people are base and unintelligent

I'll say it.

If someone cannot distinguish the differences between the DISNEY MGM Studios and Universal, they are unintelligent....all it takes is about 1 second to read the word Disney in Disney-MGM Studios.

The same with Disney's Animal Kingdom. (Disney was obviously thrown into the park name because people are idiots)

If someone can get past the ticket booth and the train station and countless other signs saying they are entering the Magic Kingdom without that registering in their minds...they are unintelligent.

If someone can plan a whole vacation, which is considerably expensive, without realizing that they are going to the Walt Disney World Resort which contains 4 theme parks should not be in control of the money required to go there. Not to mention the 2 waterparks and many resort hotels...and of course, PARK HOPPER passes, meaning more than one park!

Also, if someone needs a big, gigantic wand proclaiming where they are to know where they are, they are unintelligent...especially when the structure it dwarfs should be synonymous with the name Epcot.

Go ahead and flame away...*end rant*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom