Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

CThaddeus

give me a heavy duty net,a jaws of life and 72 hours ill have it down by the weekend :cool:

Disney could make a serious profit on this. Charge each person who wants to come in and help destroy the Wand $100. Allow us to do it after the Park closes, so we won't have to endanger any tourists. Not only would Disney make a mint, but they could have that sucker down by morning. I'd even hang around to sweep it all into an incinerator, just so I'm sure it ain't comin' back. This is a total win-win for Disney, here, and the next night they could have one for the stinking Hat at the Studios. That's definitely worth $200 to me, though they'll probably need to hold me back from doing the same to Test Track and Lights, Motors, Action!

Mr_Tom_Morrow

Disney could make a serious profit on this. Charge each person who wants to come in and help destroy the Wand $100. Allow us to do it after the Park closes, so we won't have to endanger any tourists. Not only would Disney make a mint, but they could have that sucker down by morning. I'd even hang around to sweep it all into an incinerator, just so I'm sure it ain't comin' back. This is a total win-win for Disney, here, and the next night they could have one for the stinking Hat at the Studios. That's definitely worth $200 to me, though they'll probably need to hold me back from doing the same to Test Track and Lights, Motors, Action!

good idea,im sure we'd have to sign waivers tho to make sure disney is covered when someone has a beam land on there noggin

as far as the hat,just throw some c-4 under it and run like ahem

Hummer1676

Has anyone ever noticed on the Disney World Overview Map on Disneyworld.com has the wand on the wrong side of SSE? Hopefully it will come down anyway. Sorry for the tangent.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Has anyone ever noticed on the Disney World Overview Map on Disneyworld.com has the wand on the wrong side of SSE? Hopefully it will come down anyway. Sorry for the tangent.
It moves from one side of the geosphere to the other every night. I guess you've just been there on the odd days.

CThaddeus

It moves from one side of the geosphere to the other every night. I guess you've just been there on the odd days.

I thought it was just like those busts in the Haunted Mansion that seem to follow you wherever you go. It is almost impossible to not see the dumb thing wherever I'm at in Epcot. You've got to be a complete dipthong not to know what Park you're in and who it belongs to, and actually...no, wait....it's...it's behind me...how did you get here...no, don't hit me over the head with obviousness! No! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........

Wand here. Love me. Or else you'll suffer the same fate.

CaptainMichael

I thought it was just like those busts in the Haunted Mansion that seem to follow you wherever you go. It is almost impossible to not see the dumb thing wherever I'm at in Epcot. You've got to be a complete dipthong not to know what Park you're in and who it belongs to, and actually...no, wait....it's...it's behind me...how did you get here...no, don't hit me over the head with obviousness! No! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........

:ROFLOL:

fotogenieguy

Basically, people don't like the wand because it reminds them they are at Disney. They don't like the Disney music, because it reminds them they are at Disney. I don't see the problem with the "wand". How long do you really just sit and stare at it to be an eyesore. Usually, you see it from walking in and then out of the park.

tigger1968

That's the funniest thing I've heard in weeks! I nearly did a spit take of Diet Coke all over my keyboard......... :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Basically, people don't like the wand because it reminds them they are at Disney. They don't like the Disney music, because it reminds them they are at Disney. I don't see the problem with the "wand". How long do you really just sit and stare at it to be an eyesore. Usually, you see it from walking in and then out of the park.
except that you can see the wand in the entrance, all of Innoventions Plaza, many points in Future World East and West, and just about all of World Showcase. It doesn't take any sitting or staring to notice it.

The problem is not that it's a reminder that we are at Disney. We ARE at Disney, so I have no problem with that reminder. The problem is that they cheapen the Disney name by making it seem that all the company stands for are the films and characters, which is not how the Theme Parks were originally designed--they were meant to be stand-alone creations linked to everything else in the Disney empire by their imaginative story telling--everything at Disney has always sought to tell a story.

What story does the Wand contribute to? For the Millennium Celebration, it was adequately part of some story (not sure we needed Mickey's arm, but it at least served a purpose). Nowadays, it serves no purpose in the world Disney has created.

I hate the tombstones out front, but they are at least um...modern? Maybe? One could argue they stylistically fit Future World (even if they are hideous). The Wand does not.

comics101

I have no problem with seeing Mickey Mouse at Epcot, or Goofy, or Belle in France, or The Seas with Nemo and Friends, etc. To me it just looks like it was thrown up there in a few days and was left up there because someone was too lazy to take it down. If I didn't want to be at Disney, I wouldn't be. But I love Disney and I love the parks, and I just think the wand is kind of tacky. Does the average guest? Probably not, but as a fan who looks for detail and who knows what Disney is capable of, It really is a disapointment.

tigger1968

So your theory is that when people are at Disney World, they don't want to be reminded that they are there? I don't like the wand, but I love all the other things that remind me that I AM at Disney World. Feel free to clarify your statement, cause I must be seriously missing the point of it...:rolleyes:

AEfx

I have no problem with seeing Mickey Mouse at Epcot, or Goofy, or Belle in France, or The Seas with Nemo and Friends, etc. To me it just looks like it was thrown up there in a few days and was left up there because someone was too lazy to take it down. If I didn't want to be at Disney, I wouldn't be. But I love Disney and I love the parks, and I just think the wand is kind of tacky. Does the average guest? Probably not, but as a fan who looks for detail and who knows what Disney is capable of, It really is a disapointment.

Right there with you. I actually love the characterization of Epcot, so to speak. I think it's great - I love the characters. There is no reason some of the more serious topics at Epcot cannot co-exist with the light-hearted Disney world which is the basis for this resort we all so love.

But that wand simply ruins one of the greatest architectural monuments of the late 20th century. It was one thing as a temporary decoration, but close to a decade has just been obscene. I'm in the camp who hated the Pepto-Bismol cake, but I lived with it and didn't complain because it was temporary. I make no bones about the fact that I disliked it, but change is good once in awhile to spice things up. The wand did not spice things up, and the esoteric "place making" bull crap was just marketing idiots who didn't know what they were doing. Everyone knows the "big ball" is Epcot. They may not get the signifigance of it as Spaceship Earth (it's a tough concept for even some smart people, that the Earth is a spaceship hurtling through space, and the metaphor of the Earth as our idea of a Spaceship), but they certainly didn't need (even the dumbest of them) the wand to tell them. Heck, even the ones who call the MK "Disney World" know that the "big ball" is Epcot.

Personally, my biggest problem is the wand's size. It dwarfs SSE and SSE is much less impressive looking without it. It doesn't feel all that tall with the wand hovering above it, and the design of the entire park is thrown off by it.

AEfx

SDav10495

To sum up what I've probably used up too many black pixels on in previous posts:

Disney once did, and still should, represent the pinnacle of imagination and creative daring. EPCOT was one of Disney's most imaginative and creatively daring creations. The wand represents Disney's recent retreat from a long legacy of creative daring into a narrow corner where the only magic comes from easily-branded Mickey Mouse and pixie dust. The wand, and the whole movement it represents, is supremely unimaginative, wholly market-driven, and far, far beneath Disney's creative potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom