Bring back Horizons

mansionfan84

You know, I am a huge supporter of a movement to bring back Horizons or a similar attraction, but there are a number or logistical problems with running a pavilion of that nature. One need only look at the reasons why the original failed for reference.

-The "future" is a constantly evolving concept. The show would either need literally constant updating and re-theming or a vision of the future that is so far down the time line (or out on the horizon as it may be :)) that the show's ideas border on the absurd. If I recall correctly (my last ride-through was in 1989 when I was 5), the theming of the old ride was set waaaay out in the future. However, even by 1996, some of the ideas in the original were dated for one reason or another. This brings me to my next point...

-Who on Earth would want to sponsor such a high-maintenance pavilion? The costs would be enormous to constantly update the ride and the pre/post-show presentations. The constant updating would be tiresome both to the sponsor, WDW, and to the parkgoers who would constantly be waiting for refurbs to be completed.

-Beyond that, what sort of company would be a suitable sponsor? A high-technology firm probably seems the most appropriate and I'm having a hard time coming up with a good Plan B. However, they probably wouldn't be interested since their budgets would likely be tied up mostly in R&D and the industry is such that their is an immense amount of turnover... not a good thing for a pavilion that needs constant TLC.

There are more reasons, but these are the biggest obstacle from my perspective.

Further, what exactly is the problem with Mission:Space? Honestly, some of it is a bit hokey, but I've never been on a similar ride anywhere else. Its not even close. Maybe it is a simulator that makes you push purposeless buttons while crammed into a small chamber with someone who could potentially get sick... but I think its really cool. I understand its a "different strokes for different folks" situation, but for all the cynics who cry about Disney losing magic etc, perhaps you'd be best suited to look past the shortcomings of a ride like this and just allow yourself to try and get into it and let it take you away.

Jasonflz

You know, I am a huge supporter of a movement to bring back Horizons or a similar attraction, but there are a number or logistical problems with running a pavilion of that nature. One need only look at the reasons why the original failed for reference.

-The "future" is a constantly evolving concept. The show would either need literally constant updating and re-theming or a vision of the future that is so far down the time line (or out on the horizon as it may be :)) that the show's ideas border on the absurd. If I recall correctly (my last ride-through was in 1989 when I was 5), the theming of the old ride was set waaaay out in the future. However, even by 1996, some of the ideas in the original were dated for one reason or another. This brings me to my next point...

-Who on Earth would want to sponsor such a high-maintenance pavilion? The costs would be enormous to constantly update the ride and the pre/post-show presentations. The constant updating would be tiresome both to the sponsor, WDW, and to the parkgoers who would constantly be waiting for refurbs to be completed.

-Beyond that, what sort of company would be a suitable sponsor? A high-technology firm probably seems the most appropriate and I'm having a hard time coming up with a good Plan B. However, they probably wouldn't be interested since their budgets would likely be tied up mostly in R&D and the industry is such that their is an immense amount of turnover... not a good thing for a pavilion that needs constant TLC.

Further, what exactly is the problem with Mission:Space? Honestly, some of it is a bit hokey, but I've never been on a similar ride anywhere else. Its not even close. Maybe it is a simulator that makes you push purposeless buttons while crammed into a small chamber with someone who could potentially get sick... but I think its really cool. I understand its a "different strokes for different folks" situation, but for all the cynics who cry about Disney losing magic etc, perhaps you'd be best suited to look past the shortcomings of a ride like this and just allow yourself to try and get into it and let it take you away.

Well said.:) If anything, a Horizons pavilion would be good for where WoL is now but it is very unlikely.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Hilarious and true.

krankenstein

The same could be said for Dumbo, you crammed into a tiny space with someone that could potentially become sick and barf all over you. Plus, the ride system is much more "carnival" like. Yet, people never complain about it because it has always been there.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, the queue.:lol: At least I didn't complain that M:S's queue took up space.:)
Well, now that I think of it......:lookaroun

:lol:$$$ That's Disney management for you. I think they would save more if they just converted the entire parking lot into a large solar panel. Imagine the power considering the sun looks right at that spot.

MS has an awesome queue.:shrug: Don't see how you could complain about that...

Planetary Plaza, the musueum, the control room...:shrug::shrug:

My favorite part of the Pavilion so far.:rolleyes::lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Well said.

The dreams for Horizons are dead ones at that. Sad, that no one fixed it up, but oh well. We can only hope that they use the concept and idea and SPIRIT in future attractions.

And agreed on M:S. It's quite unique and quite close to what EPCOT did and currently tries to do. Entertain, Educate and Inspire. It has flaws, but it's pretty damn close.

Jasonflz

MS has an awesome queue.:shrug: Don't see how you could complain about that...

Planetary Plaza, the musueum, the control room...:shrug::shrug:

My favorite part of the Pavilion so far.:rolleyes::lol:

:lol: I know, it has an awesome queue. I was just joking about complaining. To be honest, I like the queue way better than the ride itself.

Oddysey

Umm....WoL was in big building. There was the main area, under the dome and another area tucked away in the back, away from the dome. They were never separate. Martin mentions this in his Tribute.

"Like Hitler said". Oooh. That's credible. :rolleyes: I know what you mean, though, that silly video. Yeah, they are claustrophobic, and yeah, that sucks. However, the ends justify the means. How else would you be able to feel the unique sense of flight on the "HP Commercial".

On that note... honestly, HP's sponsorship could have been a ton more intrusive. I don't even think they are announced over the loud speaker. I think you just see the logo.

And UoE no longer runs on solar panels....Those are broken.

JII? Those are the same cars from 1983...They just spin now. And there is less of them. I'm 6'3 and I find them very comfy.:shrug:
Slsafsdfside1.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but when did the solar panels on UoE break. After my last Undiscovered Future World Tour a few months ago, I was under the impression that they are still in working order.

I am not doughting you, but I am genuinely curious of how long they have been out of order. Bye the way, thanks for the info. :animwink:

EpcotServo

I'm fairly confident Energy is still riding on sunshine. I knew they were broken for sometime, but last I heard in the early 2000's they did some adjusting on the roof and now power continues to go to the substation out back.

Unless it's broken since then and I haven't heard about it.
:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I'm fairly confident Energy is still riding on sunshine. I knew they were broken for sometime, but last I heard in the early 2000's they did some adjusting on the roof and now power continues to go to the substation out back.

Unless it's broken since then and I haven't heard about it.
:shrug:

Really? I had heard differently and more recently, but that's interesting, too.

blueboxdoctor

I don't think that can be done...

They will not get rid of Imagination and getting rid of it would get complaints from the many people who love Figment.They would have to demolish the WoL building to put it there if it gets put in WoL.

Really? That many people love Figment? Then why is the line, well, let me rephrase that, why isn't there ever a line?

That said, I'd like something along the same lines to come back. I never had the opportunity to ride on Horizons, but after reading about it, it seems like a ride that could be done really well with newer technology they have for rides now (just don't put a bunch of video screens up, I saw a video of one of the newer Pirates of the Caribbean rides someone posted here a few months ago, and it relied so much on video screens that it felt uninspired and boring).

Really, I just want a sense of wonder brought back to Future World, which is what Innoventions could focus on. They could really benefit by getting people excited for all the possibilities of the future, especially with how popular computers and tech are now, I'm sure they could come up with something cool.

jbeachboy

Really? That many people love Figment? Then why is the line, well, let me rephrase that, why isn't there ever a line?

That said, I'd like something along the same lines to come back. I never had the opportunity to ride on Horizons, but after reading about it, it seems like a ride that could be done really well with newer technology they have for rides now (just don't put a bunch of video screens up, I saw a video of one of the newer Pirates of the Caribbean rides someone posted here a few months ago, and it relied so much on video screens that it felt uninspired and boring).

Really, I just want a sense of wonder brought back to Future World, which is what Innoventions could focus on. They could really benefit by getting people excited for all the possibilities of the future, especially with how popular computers and tech are now, I'm sure they could come up with something cool.

how did they change figment ride?

Goofyernmost

Where did you get the idea that Horizons was just a bunch of screens. It was mostly 3D AA's scenes and it had a unique ride system. As a dark ride, it was one of the best ever. I think the original Imagination and WoM were both slightly better and more creative or entertaining, but, it was one of the last BIG dark rides that have ever been, even up to today. But, as I have been trying to say for years, it wasn't the attraction is was the society that no longer found that kind of stuff as enjoyable as they once did. We can all live in our world of fantasy for as long as we want, but, with new generations comes new desires and enjoyments. There was nothing wrong with the content of any of those things, they just fell out of favor with the public as most things do.

Today, brand new, and without those of us that first saw it and loved it, it would fall flat on it's face instantly and at the time it was top of the line technology. Also at the time, technology was new to the public. It wasn't in your face all the time. It was exciting and inspiring to see. We now have come to expect that from everyday technology, we are unable to recognize the marvel anymore, we are inundated with it on a daily basis.

blueboxdoctor

Where did you get the idea that Horizons was just a bunch of screens. It was mostly 3D AA's scenes and it had a unique ride system. As a dark ride, it was one of the best ever. I think the original Imagination and WoM were both slightly better and more creative or entertaining, but, it was one of the last BIG dark rides that have ever been, even up to today. But, as I have been trying to say for years, it wasn't the attraction is was the society that no longer found that kind of stuff as enjoyable as they once did. We can all live in our world of fantasy for as long as we want, but, with new generations comes new desires and enjoyments. There was nothing wrong with the content of any of those things, they just fell out of favor with the public as most things do.

Today, brand new, and without those of us that first saw it and loved it, it would fall flat on it's face instantly and at the time it was top of the line technology. Also at the time, technology was new to the public. It wasn't in your face all the time. It was exciting and inspiring to see. We now have come to expect that from everyday technology, we are unable to recognize the marvel anymore, we are inundated with it on a daily basis.

I mean if they did it over again now I wouldn't want it to be done with a bunch of screens like they seem to have done on some of their other new rides (I know the original wasn't that way, the original actually sounded really cool from what I read and from the pictures I saw of it). I think we can still be amazed by technology, especially since it is so mainstream they could show technology in fields and applications that many people may not think of, or look to possibilities of how it can be used in the future.

Though, I apologize for any confusion on my original post, it seems the way I worded things wasn't the best.

The Empress Lilly

no , not you, i was just asking in general, how did they change figment ride since original?
The Figment ride has been changed twice. Once in 1999 into a new ride, and once again in 2002 to add some fun and Figment back in.

Do you like videos? Some Sale bloke documents these changes and releases them on videos. Or if these are too long, you can YouTube ride-throughs, from before 1999 compared to now.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Horizons as a single attraction is a pig, but you make a section or walk thru it would work allot better, I'd rather see scenery from horizons at the end of Spaceship Earth with the same narration as Horizons than see the entire ride come back. I agree that it's allot to keep up in times like this. The desert farms, sea and space colony's on the other hand are great and I highly think they should be worked into Spaceship Earth in the next refurbishment. Communication is an obsolete theme and they should go by the past, present future and combine Horizons and world of motion with Spaceship Earth at this point. Why have 3 rides when you can have one great one.

Goofyernmost

I mean if they did it over again now I wouldn't want it to be done with a bunch of screens like they seem to have done on some of their other new rides (I know the original wasn't that way, the original actually sounded really cool from what I read and from the pictures I saw of it). I think we can still be amazed by technology, especially since it is so mainstream they could show technology in fields and applications that many people may not think of, or look to possibilities of how it can be used in the future.

Though, I apologize for any confusion on my original post, it seems the way I worded things wasn't the best.
OK, gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, however, the current thing are screens. Most never experienced the old way and even some that did, like myself, see if a screen is done well, it is also very good. So if they were to redo it, (I wouldn't hold my breath waiting) there would probably be more screens simply because that is the art of the early 2000nds. We are in the electronic world of the 21st century... there's no going back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom