Brazil in World Showcase (Confirmed by Vinylmation?)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Well there is that fact as well.:D

I liked the Muppet series and a select few from the park series. Outside of that I agree with your assessment.
I've never purchased any of the Vinalmation ones previously, but I do like the Have a Laugh ones that they recently showed on the Disney Parks Blog. I might give them a look when we're there in December. It might be nice cubicle decoration.

Grlwonder

Personally, I'd much rather see Russia or Australia added to WS. Especially Australia, it's a whole continent and has no representation, except Kip, our CM server at Crystal Palace. :D

Those are my two countries I would love to see in WS.

I can see them going towards Barzil since it is in South America, it's going to host the Olympics and the World Cup (and I think something else but I'm not so sure). So Brazil is pretty busy and getting lots of attention. I can see why they would want to add it, but there is nothing special, nothing that first comes to mind when you think of Brazil.

For Russia they can build the beautiful "candy" castle as I like to call it. We just have to wait and see because I also heard the rumor of Spain in WS.

lpereira

I think it is just a marketing decision to add Brazil to vinylmations for sales. However the next World Showcase country should be a BRIC country and China is already there. That leaves Russia, India, and Brazil. I can think of a lot of things that could be in the brazil showcase.

Iconic symbol: Cristo Redentor- it transcends religion into cultural icon and multiple countries already have religious symbols that have made the same leap.

Street entertainment: Caipeira demonstrations.

Food: QS represented by launchonettes (not the same word as lunchonette- and I'm functionally illiterate in portuguese.)
TS: A Texas de Brazil style establishment.
signature drink: Caiprahina's anyone

Shops: coffee shop, jewelry shop made from Brazil's many mines. A soccer store.

A boost to February attendance by holding a Carnival festival for 2 weeks every year.

There are similar arguments to be made for the other 2 BRICs but someone else could make them.

nickymous

Why Brazil? If I went to China, I wouldn't want to visit a tourist attraction about the USA. So why would Brazillians want to come here just to visit Brazil?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Why Brazil? If I went to China, I wouldn't want to visit a tourist attraction about the USA. So why would Brazillians want to come here just to visit Brazil?
I don't think that people from Brazil would come here just to visit the pavilion, but I bet they would stop in to talk to the CMs working there, or to send pictures home "Look Mom, they made this look sort of like home".

Not being from Brazil, I would love to visit a Brazil pavilion. My DW, whose family is all from (most still in) South America would also love to visit, to get a bit of a "taste of home" in some of the food / shops.

Mansion Butler

My friends who were ICPs from Mexico actually loved going to Mexico in Epcot.

I wouldn't want to go to a tourist attraction about America if I went to China, but if there was a nifty tourist attraction with a small exhibit about America, I'd be a little more interested in going.

Vernonpush

So, did you go to The American Adventure in Epcot? Why would you visit an attraction about the USA in the USA when you're from the USA?

nickymous

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with Brazil or any other country for that. Any addition would be awesome. Just don't build Brazil because once a year, a large group from Brazil comes in. Build Brazil because that is what the majority of the visitors would like to see. If they hire in people from Brazil, they surely will have some of those beautiful girls in those Carnival parades, right?

westie

Am I the only one here who is going to march through there with his entire family and whoever else gets on board, dressed in the same t-shirts, sceaming and chanting and, most likely cutting a couple lines?:ROFLOL:

Slowjack

Huge number of South American visitors. No South American representation. Sounds like a no brainer decision to me.

The countries that get mentioned here a lot don't send many visitors to WDW. Thats a big part of the equation. Yes, its here for others to learn about the countries, but Disney wants it to be a two way street.
I can't say that makes a lot of sense to me. Are you saying Brazilians would be more likely to visit WDW if there was a Brazilian pavilion at Epcot? Why?

Ah, I see other people have already picked up on this. I guess I would put it this way. Let's suppose the powers-that-be are choosing between Brazil and Egypt (this is just for the sake of discussion). If the majority of non-Brazilians would prefer Egypt, the fact that Brazil would be popular with Brazilians still would make Egypt the better choice. But beyond that, it's hard to imagine that putting in a Brazil pavilion would net more attendance from Brazil than Egypt would.

Finally, given the pavilions that have been built, and those that we know were in the negotiation stage, it really doesn't appear that the number of visitors from a country is much of a factor in Disney's thinking.

magic2me

I really hope not... There are many other countries that would be far better additions to the World Showcase than Brazil. Not only that, but that would be death for those working in Epcot during the summer when the tour groups are in town...
:shrug: It would be a great addition. Great Culture and the first country from South America but not a Spanish speaking country.

castevens

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/05/gigantic-solar-1.php

sassaas-thumb-550xauto-38130.jpg

BrerFrog

I am Brazilian and I would. I don't think there is single person from one of the existing countries in WS that go through their countries thinking "Meh, I have this at home."

Instead, from what I have experienced, people feel proud and spend a god amount of time in the pavillion to see how their country is being represented. The issue here would be merchandise sales, because while Brazillians would visit the pavillion I don't think they would buy Brazillian souvenirs for their families back in Brazil.

nickymous

So, did you go to The American Adventure in Epcot? Why would you visit an attraction about the USA in the USA when you're from the USA?

Not the point. TDO show not build an attraction just to appease one group of tourist. Poll the visitors and come to a consensus.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not the point. TDO show not build an attraction just to appease one group of tourist. Poll the visitors and come to a consensus.

The building of a country at Epcot isn't UP to you and me...it's up to the country that can afford to build the pavilion and staff it.

SeaBase86

I think maybe the same reason most of us Americans visit the American Adventure pavilion.

If your in a foreign place wouldn't you like to have a little taste home?

mp2bill

SirNim

I would not mind a Brazilian pavilion. I've mentioned before that Elevador Lacerda positioned in front of an ersatz mountainous backdrop might be a better centerpiece than a religious icon... The pavilion could take its stylistic cues directly from this brilliant piece of film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom