News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

LSLS

I don’t think Bob really gave up control, except at times when he wanted chapek to hang himself so he could look like the savior when he comes back on his white horse
Honestly I don't think coming back in was the original plan when he did his farewell tour. I do think he wanted chapek to look bad to make people rewrite his legacy. I think the chance to white knight just kind of fell into his lap and he used his minions to make it happen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly I don't think coming back in was the original plan when he did his farewell tour. I do think he wanted chapek to look bad to make people rewrite his legacy. I think the chance to white knight just kind of fell into his lap and he used his minions to make it happen.
I think that probably was his plan…

The Covid quit was cowardly though and I think in the circles of power and money he knows no one bought it and that’s why he politicked his way back.
Probably never intended on leaving chapek and would have forced him out.

Fido Chuckwagon

So, while everyone complains about rides, I have a serious question. What's the general state of technology-oriented roles right now, especially in Orlando with them getting rid of people? I'm talking DevOps, Project Management, etc. Lots of openings on LinkedIn. I'm not talking entry level stuff but senior-level roles (20+ yrs experience). Stay away considering the current conditions? Or go for it?
Disney pays horrifically for their IT staff. My brother is an app engineer who works for a big tech company, working the equivalent role in Disney would result in making approximately one third of what he makes right now, no exaggeration. He explored the possibility about a year ago.

BrianLo

It’s a lame-o slow ride with terrible IP…that doesn’t work half the time.

I’ll just let all the “PR pumping” of it die down and we’ll revisit down the road. Y’all have been “well trained” here.

You are letting your Star Wars fandom cloud your judgement again.

Have at Falcon all you want, but Rise is not a bad attraction. It doesn't have to be even remotely your favourite, hate the sequels by all means. Over-rated? Also by all means maybe. But calling it a bad attraction is frankly not being critical, it's driven sheerly by anti-sequel trilogy bias. ;)

Smiley/OCD

Crazy thing too is it was WAY cheaper than the same amount of days for Disneyland for us as WDW flying out of Atlanta.

Spirit was around $140 round trip. The walking distance to both parks, Sheraton 4 Points Anaheim, was less than that per night.

I just can’t shower enough praise! It feels less “corporate” than Orlando.
We hope to go next year for our youngest daughter’s graduation from Cal-Poly Humboldt…I’ve never been to DLR…it’s sounds awesome…(going on 30 years since I rode Mr. Toad!)

Smiley/OCD

The old saying, “You’re only as good as your last performance”…not that Chappie needed any help cementing his legacy with the mouse (I guess it’s safe to say he won’t ever get a window on Main Street), but it’s clear Iger is doing everything he can to make Chappie look horrendous while saying the right things and tossing us small bones (free parking) to make himself look awesome…psychologists call that savior complex…as long as he can sleep at night…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are letting your Star Wars fandom cloud your judgement again.

Have at Falcon all you want, but Rise is not a bad attraction. It doesn't have to be even remotely your favourite, hate the sequels by all means. Over-rated? Also by all means maybe. But calling it a bad attraction is frankly not being critical, it's driven sheerly by anti-sequel trilogy bias. ;)
Well it is a Star Wars ride - alledgedly - and Disney insists that you have to be IP based…

…so am I not rating it based on their parameters?

Trackless are just their new take on dark rides…they don’t really do anything with the technology…because they’re made dull/direct to try and move crowds they can’t handle.

It’s just “meh”…and $500 mil and a 2 hour wait makes that an awful ride.

Now I like guardians…I even like rat.

Is it an embarrassment they punt repeatedly on delivering a good Star Wars ride? Yes…
But it’s not a “fandom” thing as much as you make it out to be

BrianLo

Well it is a Star Wars ride - alledgedly - and Disney insists that you have to be IP based…

Trackless are just their new take on dark rides…they don’t really do anything with the technology…because they’re made dull/direct to try and move crowds they can’t handle.

Is it an embarrassment they punt repeatedly on delivering a good Star Wars ride? Yes…

I'll accept meh! Just "bad" implies it needs to be torn down or gutted and replaced, Fast and Furious-esque. Face swapping some animatronics for the OG trio notwithstanding. Fortunately in Disneyland (a well built park) it doesn't command a 2 hour wait.

Falcon on the other hand needs new ride profiles and maybe a Mando tie-in to make it relevant.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"

I do have to agree with @BrianLo. I’m not a sequel lover either, I despised Episode 9 and was lukewarm to 8.

I do think making it the OG trilogy would’ve made it better.

However, theme parks should not be judged based primarily on an IP used, it should be the execution.

I think TRON: Legacy sucks, but the world building, musical score, etc. are great components for a ride, and TRON Lightcycle Run is a solid (albeit too short) ride. Same goes with the original Avatar (loved the second) and I adore Pandora at Animal Kingdom.

I also think Galaxy’s Edge is really cool BUT for the amount of money spent, it should’ve been better than Cars Land and Diagon Alley and for me it isn’t other than its scale.

However, Rise of the Resistence itself is absolutely an E-ticket, and just the sheer amount of effects and cleverness make it indisputably so. You don’t have to love it, but you do seem to be exaggerating lol.

Also, at Disneyland, it’s been hovering between 45 and 75 minutes which is far more reasonable than at the overcrowded Hollywood Studios.

And for context, I’d consider Rise as the second best ride in the world for me after Shanghai’s Pirates (which I did back in 2018). If we exclude the incredible pre-shows, It’s more like a top 5 ride for me.

You don’t have to agree with that, but I’m not exactly your average theme park goer. I’ve been to every Disney park plus Universal Orlando and Hollywood, so I have a lot to compare it against.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll accept meh! Just "bad" implies it needs to be torn down or gutted and replaced, Fast and Furious-esque. Face swapping some animatronics for the OG trio notwithstanding. Fortunately in Disneyland (a well built park) it doesn't command a 2 hour wait.

Falcon on the other hand needs new ride profiles and maybe a Mando tie-in to make it relevant.
I think a thoughtful retheme makes that, falcon and some of the support lands a real destination - like potter - and not just crowd filler because of lack of capacity - which it currently is…

I do have to agree with @BrianLo. I’m not a sequel lover either, I despised Episode 9 and was lukewarm to 8.

I do think making it the OG trilogy would’ve made it better.

However, theme parks should not be judged based primarily on an IP used, it should be the execution.

I think TRON: Legacy sucks, but the world building, musical score, etc. are great components for a ride, and TRON Lightcycle Run is a solid (albeit too short) ride. Same goes with the original Avatar (loved the second) and I adore Pandora at Animal Kingdom.

I also think Galaxy’s Edge is really cool BUT for the amount of money spent, it should’ve been better than Cars Land and Diagon Alley and for me it isn’t other than its scale.

However, Rise of the Resistence itself is absolutely an E-ticket, and just the sheer amount of effects and cleverness make it indisputably so. You don’t have to love it, but you do seem to be exaggerating lol.

Also, at Disneyland, it’s been hovering between 45 and 75 minutes which is far more reasonable than at the overcrowded Hollywood Studios.

And for context, I’d consider Rise as the second best ride in the world for me after Shanghai’s Pirates (which I did back in 2018). If we exclude the incredible pre-shows, It’s more like a top 5 ride for me.

You don’t have to agree with that, but I’m not exactly your average theme park goer. I’ve been to every Disney park plus Universal Orlando and Hollywood, so I have a lot to compare it against.
We mostly agree…see above.

But even without an ip that reeks like last weeks tuna and pays homage to awful, unwatchable movies…

The ride just is dull.

The at at room is just statues…the gun ports are cool - if they work…the preshow is neat, but the 300 lb “soldiers” really don’t work…and the 12 second sim (if that) doesn’t really raise the cockles at all…and the ren is so clunky. It’s more witch than shaman

So they say it’s the best ride ever. That’s the hook. If you’ve trekked the world looking for parks…it’s your realm. Though I’ve been to some of the same spots, I tend to try to be a little more middle of the road.

I still think flight of passage is the best ride currently to get you to a place. Other than some “classics” - of course.

I think rise is a case of “less than the sum of its parts”…like test track

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom