News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Heppenheimer

Also seems that TWDC’s ownership of Miramax in the 90s-00s has been largely overlooked. That was a major feather in the company’s cap.
Ah, yes, I forgot about Miramax too. Technically, that made Pulp Fiction a Disney film at the time (I have no idea who would own the rights today, since Disney sold off Miramax).

That could have resulted in some very interesting IP insertions in the parks, if Disney wanted to go a bit edgy.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Ah, yes, I forgot about Miramax too. Technically, that made Pulp Fiction a Disney film at the time (I have no idea who would own the rights today, since Disney sold off Miramax).

That could have resulted in some very interesting IP insertions in the parks, if Disney wanted to go a bit edgy.

I’m still waiting for Planet of the Apes land in AK. So many possibilities with that.

lazyboy97o

Miramax is currently a joint venture between Qatar (through state-owned beIN Media Group) and Paramount.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This might be an unpopular opinion, I think she's safe. She's been around far too long, I'd like to think she was protecting the brand from Chap's and his media content director's lack of creative mind and hands in every decision.
Um…no

Her first five years of LFL lead to massive LOSSES on Disneys ledger. You read that right.

I think if anything she’s an Iger ally…which means she could be 100% safe or 100% a sacrificial lamb depending on how things are going now

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
She’s not everyone’s friend.
Well sh*t, she's lasted a long time. I knew fans weren't pleased with things under her direction, but wasn't aware she didn't have many friends.
Um…no

Her first five years of LFL lead to massive LOSSES on Disneys ledger. You read that right.

I think if anything she’s an Iger ally…which means she could be 100% safe or 100% a sacrificial lamb depending on how this are going now
Her being an Iger ally is also why I thought she might be safe... but if the brand is losing $$$ that Iger thinks isn't being tapped under her leadership direction, her ship may soon be off to Galaxy's Edge.

DCLcruiser

Given the arbitrary nature of PG-13 (3 f-bombs get you an R, but gun violence without blood does not), I have always been against disallowing R-rated films under the crux of 'family entertainment.” It also disproportionately impacts arthouse/indie films. Let’s not forget the MPAA, now known as the MPA, doubles as a lobby for large studios.

Child locks on profiles are a way better strategy as there are definitely R or TV-MA rated movies and shows that are more suitable for younger audiences than it would seem (ex. Breakfast Club/The Crown), and frankly, I don’t know any under 17 year old that’s never seen an R-rated film. That’s especially true for one that hasn’t played an M-rated video game. Like most things, it’s a win-win to allow and regulate, in this case with parental controls, rather than a blanket ban.

The issue isn't them trying to appeal to all audiences such as having R/TV-MA content; the issue is them thinking throwing money at content will translate to popularity. It's an exceptionally ineffective strategy cost-wise. Allowing creative people to choose what content to produce is better self-selection rather than a bean counting corporate mandate. That’s why Bob Iger will immediately be a better leader since he’s already restructuring based on that.
If the show isn’t WDW approved, it should be on Hulu. D+ is a major safe zone for content. It’s the vault plus.

Again, I have just about every streamer so I’m not against other types of shows. R, MA, all good. Just keep D+ Disney.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well sh*t, she's lasted a long time. I knew fans weren't pleased with things under her direction, but wasn't aware she didn't have many friends.

Her being an Iger ally is also why I thought she might be safe... but if the brand is losing $$$ that Iger thinks isn't being tapped under her leadership direction, her ship may soon be off to Galaxy's Edge.
I don’t think she did anything NOT at iger’s direction…which means she could go if he feels the “narrative” needs to change

erasure fan1

Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy not if but when.

Oh please, yes.
I think she needs to go as well. There was a time around the release of last jedi where I thought they should move her to a position that wasn't attached to the creative side of things. She's a legendary producer for sure. But I doubt she had any real power on the creative side of things with all those Spielberg productions. Unfortunately Iger let her allow herself and lucas film to wage a war against the fans. Creating an extremely toxic relationship with the fans. So at this point, she just needs to move on. No matter the position in Disney that she could move to, there will always be big pushback with the fans.

Sir_Cliff

I think she needs to go as well. There was a time around the release of last jedi where I thought they should move her to a position that wasn't attached to the creative side of things. She's a legendary producer for sure. But I doubt she had any real power on the creative side of things with all those Spielberg productions. Unfortunately Iger let her allow herself and lucas film to wage a war against the fans. Creating an extremely toxic relationship with the fans. So at this point, she just needs to move on. No matter the position in Disney that she could move to, there will always be big pushback with the fans.
I don't know, I think the fans have made it hard for them to get rid of her.

Rich Brownn

That ship sailed a long time ago under Eisner, possibly even earlier. Its why Disney came up with the Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures monikers for films that were marketed for teenagers and adults.
Actually those weren't created just because of ratings. Disney did an experiment with "Never Cry Wolf" - one doing DISNEY PRESENTS on top, one with FROM DISNEY in small print at the bottom. The results indicated people associated Disney with animated and very lame live action films. The solution was to create a label for live action (and yes, that could include racier fare) that people wouldn't associate with a kiddie flick (Notice the ads for 'The Black Hole' the Disney name isn't very prominent at all). Plus at least one Disney ilm was originally released as Touchstone: "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Many Touchstone films were rated PG or PG-13 -- it was just felt the themes either were too dark for Disney or it could be mistaken as kiddie fare and ignored by adults.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I don't know, I think the fans have made it hard for them to get rid of her.
That I don't get. The fans really don't like her. Unless you think Disney won't do it because it would be scene as caving to the fans? But isn't that what Disney is known for? They love to make decisions based on the Twitter crowd.

It would be very easy to get rid of her and make it seem like it wasn't them getting rid of her and she can ride into the sunset. As long as she's there, everything Lucasfilm releases will have an uphill battle from a PR standpoint.

brb1006

Too bad he's long, long gone. To Regions Beyond.

But what would he say if he came back?

People are talking about Bob Iger (The Weatherman) replacing Bob Chapek (Chappie) like it's actually a good thing. How dumb do you have to be? I know we had a pandemic, an insurrection, multiple elections and more mass shootings than new Marvel shows on Disney+, but seriously. Do these people all own stock in My Pillow?

You do all remember who put Chappie in his position to begin with, right? Who gave him his marching orders? Who approved of every major MAGIC-sucking, money grubbing, woke pandering, turning the world's largest media/entertainment company into 'All About That Streaming' move he was charged with? (BTW, same goes for Joshie D'Amaro who so many of the social media influencers love)

You think Iger is your savior?

The man who ran countless execs out of the company after building them up as possible successors. The man who is now, after his horrific no succession, succession plan exploded like the bowels of an obese Guest after dining at Chef Mickey's, somehow back at the helm for 24 months (until that changes to 36 or 52 or ...)?

I hear people talk about never being so optimistic about Disney's future and I just wonder again, what alternate facts are they playing with. I have seen this all over. From real media types to Wall Street insiders to former Imagineers to (naturally) online (can I use the W-word yet here Mom? Is she still around these parts, I hope!) influencers/bloggers/w-words to 20-year-old O-Town fanbois flashing their pronouns (oh, gawd, do my 77-year-old nerves need this crap?) on Elon's end of days platform.

I see no reason for optimism. None. And I've spent a lot of time around Disney properties of late. Even 1401, which wasn't as deserted and depressing as I expected/feared. Operationally, I've never seen WDW and DLR so bad. Ever. Show quality is simply nonexistent. Lines are horrendous (so, no, price increases and paid FP were not the answer, not that some of us ever thought they were). And CMs (I don't want to sound like a right wing crackpot) are showing their uniqueness in ways I find distracting and distressing (and off-stage and in real life I'd be completely supporting them ... but, no, I don't want to see dudes with black nail polish and nose rings on MSUSA). The Disney Look was once considered a great thing and a model for other corporations. Of course, last time I was here, Splash Mountain was a Top 3 attraction and Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah was considered a great Disney anthem, so there's that too. Y'all waiting on that LE Splash Mountain closing merch line (HINT: it ain't coming) before the ride closes for good on 1/23?

I recall many year ago discussing here that Disney was in danger of becoming just another BRAND and well, the last five years have more than proven me right.

Anyone who has experienced WDW's 50th Anniversary want to disagree? Anyone who sees so many disparate brands and IP watering down Disney (again, Splash Mountain can no longer be Disney, but Family Guy can ... ) to where you wonder what exactly is left? 1970s and 80s retro merchandise. BTW, you may love it because it harkens back to a better time, but you do realize how much cheaper it is than creating new designs and new items, right?

You think if WDW eases its reservation system, something already in the works, that is the doing of Iger? Ah, no.

I don't get anything about the company right now. Or the industry that says streaming is absolutely the future when a broadcast network (those are like ABC and CBS and NBC, kidz) here in the future year of 2022 pulls in many times the numbers that these services do. The fact that broadcast TV also is quite profitable, while every streamer (that charges) out there loses billions of dollars might speak to a Titanic sized miscalculation there.

But I must return to my peaceful slumber. This is not a realm I can exist in for very long. I thought the fan community online was a cesspool a decade ago, but it was really heaven compared to now (seriously, guys and gals, how many vlogs showing a BLT one bedroom MK view must we have?)

I will say this, The Weatherman would like nothing better than to be the last head of TWDC. And he'd drop Willow (even in her stunning Yoda dress) for Tim Cook tomorrow and he ain't even gay. He is the same lousy man he was back when he left ... all of ... how many months ago?

If you think The Weatherman is the answer for Disney, then you probably think T ... nope, just nope.

To the few online pals I have who are left here, hope y'all survived (you know what I mean) and are doing well.

Leota just arrived with her ball ... must be going.
sponge-bob-square-pants-flying-dutchman.gif

Shame I was asleep when you posted on here.

Sir_Cliff

That I don't get. The fans really don't like her. Unless you think Disney won't do it because it would be scene as caving to the fans? But isn't that what Disney is known for? They love to make decisions based on the Twitter crowd.

It would be very easy to get rid of her and make it seem like it wasn't them getting rid of her and she can ride into the sunset. As long as she's there, everything Lucasfilm releases will have an uphill battle from a PR standpoint.
I don't want to drag this thread too far into re-litigating the pros and cons of current Star Wars, and I'm personally pretty indifferent on the topic. Considering the debate around why Kennedy and the films under her watch have attracted such strongly negative feelings among some fans, though, I think Disney would really have to tread carefully if they were to get rid of her.

erasure fan1

I don't want to drag this thread too far into re-litigating the pros and cons of current Star Wars, and I'm personally pretty indifferent on the topic. Considering the debate around why Kennedy and the films under her watch have attracted such strongly negative feelings among some fans, though, I think Disney would really have to tread carefully if they were to get rid of her.
I guess I don't understand why? Because of her gender? They don't really need anything except star wars has been abandoned at the theatrical level with zero roadmap forward. It's the biggest IP in the world and that isn't acceptable. Maybe they are scared because of the optics. But that only makes leadership more pathetic than already are.

JD80

Just based on the state of Star Wars alone is enough to get rid of her.

They have no movies bringing in dollars.
A handful of D+ shows that may or may not move merch and add to D+ subscriber numbers.

Is there anything excited about in Star Wars land other than yet ANOTHER show filling in some random gaps between E1 and E9? At least Andor has amazing world building that made it interesting, I'll give it that.

Dragonman

I guess I don't understand why? Because of her gender? They don't really need anything except star wars has been abandoned at the theatrical level with zero roadmap forward. It's the biggest IP in the world and that isn't acceptable. Maybe they are scared because of the optics. But that only makes leadership more pathetic than already are.
Well that but also she knows lots of people around Hollywood and their secrets so she has power and could easily turn the tables if needed. Current speculation says she’ll be out either before or after Indy 5 drops. If/When she does eventually leave expect her to be honoured with an award and celebration, etc rather than a fired announcement that everyone wishes would actually happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom