News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I looked up Kevin Mayer, former exec at Disney and Playboy. He left Disney to be CEO at Tik-Tok only to be laid off a few months later? Ouch.
The common thread here…as with less popular people like staggs and rasulo…

Is it was the exact same shenanigans going on behind the scenes they fried Eisner for…
Probably worse.

Egomaniac authoritarian. He even has a scary fixer/cooler that looked like a bond villian

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh absolutely.

I am a very, very (very) long way from being an Iger fan.

But, I want considered reform, not to burn the house down with an activist investor firm.

Once we've seen off Peltz, we can shred our newly printed Bob, Christine, and that chap Mark T Shirts, and resume business as usual.
You can’t “shame” this board into changing. Heads have to roll

_caleb

Why would you cheer for the very people that are responsible for the company being in such a precarious position? And set aside that issue - look at how they’ve let the parks and resorts languish over that time.
Not sure if yours was an actual question or meant to be rhetorical, but here’s why I’m cheering for leaning toward Iger:
  • It’s silly to blame him for everything we don’t like about the parks. Yes, he was ultimately in charge, but no, he didn’t specifically plan, approve, or even know about every single decision
  • Iger demonstrated some bold leadership in the pivot to DtC. Whether anyone here likes/believes it or not, Disney’s film/television business was not viable. He saw that, made a plan, and they are still executing that plan (successfully)
  • Iger 2.0 is a bit different than Iger 1.0
  • Peltz’s ONLY motivation is stock dividends and his ENTIRE strategy is to break the company up and sell the parts
  • A Peltz win would never be positive for the parks

Jrb1979

Not sure if yours was an actual question or meant to be rhetorical, but here’s why I’m cheering for leaning toward Iger:
  • It’s silly to blame him for everything we don’t like about the parks. Yes, he was ultimately in charge, but no, he didn’t specifically plan, approve, or even know about every single decision
  • Iger demonstrated some bold leadership in the pivot to DtC. Whether anyone here likes/believes it or not, Disney’s film/television business was not viable. He saw that, made a plan, and they are still executing that plan (successfully)
  • Iger 2.0 is a bit different than Iger 1.0
  • Peltz’s ONLY motivation is stock dividends and his ENTIRE strategy is to break the company up and sell the parts
  • A Peltz win would never be positive for the parks
Neither is Iger positive for the parks. Personally I don't think anyone that comes after will be either. It's mainly cause they care so much about quarterly numbers that spending money on the parks goes against that. I do agree that TV/film doesn't work anymore but I am hesitant that streaming is the answer either.

Iger isn't totally to blame, Skinny Jeans takes some of the blame too. The parks are a mess to visit. They continue to make more complex than it needs to be. From park reservations to booking attractions its a giant mess. I alo blame the GP for putting up with the way the parks run.

_caleb

Neither is Iger positive for the parks. Personally I don't think anyone that comes after will be either. It's mainly cause they care so much about quarterly numbers that spending money on the parks goes against that. I do agree that TV/film doesn't work anymore but I am hesitant that streaming is the answer either.

Iger isn't totally to blame, Skinny Jeans takes some of the blame too. The parks are a mess to visit. They continue to make more complex than it needs to be. From park reservations to booking attractions its a giant mess.
Currently, I think WDW parks are worse than DLR, but I know what you mean.

I still think D’amaro has a good head on his shoulders and a good vision for the parks. He’s been stuck under the thumbs of his bosses, and hasn’t stood up to them like he should (I say from the cheap seats). He’s Iger-esque in that his employees genuinely like him. If he’s faking it, it’s fooling them!

And I know nobody here is going to believe me, but the MDE/G/G+/LL stuff isn’t all bad. It started as a fantastic plan (looked great on a whiteboard), then had a clumsy rollout. And even the planners knew there was going to be some rough going while the system learned. It was right in the midst of this learning phase that Chapek started raising prices and ignoring user data that could have helped make the whole system feel/be much more useful.

Jrb1979

Currently, I think WDW parks are worse than DLR, but I know what you mean.

I still think D’amaro has a good head on his shoulders and a good vision for the parks. He’s been stuck under the thumbs of his bosses, and hasn’t stood up to them like he should (I say from the cheap seats). He’s Iger-esque in that his employees genuinely like him. If he’s faking it, it’s fooling them!

And I know nobody here is going to believe me, but the MDE/G/G+/LL stuff isn’t all bad. It started as a fantastic plan (looked great on a whiteboard), then had a clumsy rollout. And even the planners knew there was going to be some rough going while the system learned. It was right in the midst of this learning phase that Chapek started raising prices and ignoring user data that could have helped make the whole system feel/be much more useful.
It did start out as a good plan and looked like it was going to be similar to Touring plans. Then the almighty dollar got in the way. Since they making good money from it I don't see much change. My issue is they spent so much money trying to create these systems when they should have spent that money add more attractions to the parks.

My theory is when Covid hit and they were shutdown they panicked. It's why Iger left and they did all these price increases to quickly make back that lost money. Now they can't undo a lot of it without explaining to Wall St why they cut all these profit makers.

IMO they should have followed the other park companies and continued on from where they left off. Raising prices is always going to happen but don't completely go away from what you were doing.

UNCgolf

The reason it shows you “random” stuff is that it’s trying to test around the edges to find what you (or, people like you) might like.

It also shows you stuff it knows you don’t like to provoke a response.

But I totally agree about the radicalization part. But honestly, isn’t that what Disney wants (but with fans)?

No, I know what Facebook does. I'm saying their profile for me is actually wrong -- you can see why they're showing you things (people in your age bracket who like blah and blah may also be interested in this) and it thinks I'm very different than I actually, which I find both excellent and hilarious. It thinks I like things that I do not like at all, and it's wildly wrong about my political opinions.

_caleb

No, I know what Facebook does. I'm saying their profile for me is actually wrong -- you can see why they're showing you things (people in your age bracket who like blah and blah may also be interested in this) and it thinks I'm very different than I actually, which I find both excellent and hilarious. It thinks I like things that I do not like at all, and it's wildly wrong about my political opinions.
You think it’s wrong about your leanings and not just trying to provoke you?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rumor is that he was one of the execs threatening to quit under Chapek.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t know, Iger is well-liked by many creatives. He can pretend to be one long enough that they like him more than others (see: Bob C.).
Iger let Rhode blow a ton of money…so did Eisner for that matter…
He may have quit due to chapek…but Rhode is more of the problem than a solution

_caleb

Yes.

This isn't speculation by me. I don't think it's wrong; I know it's wrong. But I'll leave it at that.
I wasn’t trying to argue, just asking. I trust you’re right about it.

In my case, I suspect that Facebook (in particular) and Twitter both show me stuff just to make me mad. Part of the radicalization aspect both you and @lazyboy97o have alluded to.

Then again, I’m pretty sure WDWMagic must use those same algorithms in these forums. How ELSE could we explain posts by certain posters here? </kidding>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom