News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

LittleBuford

Maybe off topic, but it speaks to a larger problem that shows in everything Disney does these days. Profit used to be the result of going above and beyond in every part of the Walt Disney company. Now, it’s not the result…..it’s the entire focus. And it shows.
I’m rewatching the original Ducktales at the moment for nostalgia’s sake, and much as I’m enjoying the experience, the animation is at times on the shoddy side. To my eyes at least, the new Mickey shorts look great by comparison. Yes, they are nowhere near as technically accomplished as the classic shorts of the ’30s-’50s, but they offer a lot of visual charm and interest,* particularly by the standards of Disney TV animation.

———

* One of the best things about them is that they’re packed with clever and affectionate references to Disney animation history and the Disney theme parks. Indeed, they’re made very much with Disney nerds in mind. The members of this forum are their ideal audience.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

The new Mickey shorts aren't without their moments. They can be entertaining at times and occasionally even have some really nice looking background art (though this can be somewhat inconsistent). There's also some nostalgia seeing cameos of old rarely used characters.

But that's about where my praise ends. I find them somewhat grating to watch, there's something very "off" about them. They feel like something that would be more at home on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. They have a very obnoxious and uncomfortable feeling to them. Character designs are really weird and ugly, and in motion they have a poor looking "flash animation" quality. The worst is the abundance of grotesque Ren and Stimpy poses/expressions. I absolutely hate that this style became so prevalent across the world of animation. Very disappointed that Mickey Mouse finally jumped on the bandwagon...

3e2bf5959dfa9c0860936304ee1d371b.jpg

mickeymouse-secondseason-a-580x326.jpg

1410131189.jpg

Last edited:

brb1006

The new Mickey shorts aren't without their moments. They can be entertaining at times and occasionally even have some really nice looking background art (though this can be somewhat inconsistent). There's also some nostalgia seeing cameos of old rarely used characters.

But that's about where my praise ends. I find them somewhat grating to watch, there's something very "off" about them. They feel like something that would be more at home on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. They have a very obnoxious and uncomfortable feeling to them. Character designs are really weird and ugly, and in motion they have a poor looking "flash animation" quality. The worst is the abundance of grotesque Ren and Stimpy poses/expressions. I absolutely hate that this style became so prevalent across the world of animation. Very disappointed that Mickey Mouse finally jumped on the bandwagon...

1410131189.jpg
Actually the recent shorts "The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse" (a continuation of the 2013 shorts but longer) and it's recent Seasonal Specials on Dinsey+ all manage to tone those moments down.

MerlinTheGoat

Ducktales 2017 by comparison is better at not being so obnoxious. The character designs are just as bland as the Mickey shorts, but they thankfully usually refrain from using the Ren and Stimpy expressions. That said, the background art in Ducktales 2017 is a huge drop off in quality from even Mickey. The colors and detail are as bland and basic as they can be. The original 1987 version blows it out of the water. The "flashy" character animation is also still present in Ducktales 2017.

8ceff200-f94f-11eb-9fb3-78de7ce2f8bf.cf.jpg

There was a lesser known series from 2018 called Legend of the Three Caballeros that had an IMO much better and more classic visual style than either Mickey or Ducktales. It unfortunately didn't get much attention, at least in English speaking regions. I don't know if the series was actually any good from a story standpoint, but it certainly looks and animates a heck of a lot better than the others...

three-caballeros-characters.jpg

brb1006

Ducktales 2017 by comparison is better at not being so obnoxious. The character designs are just as bland as the Mickey shorts, but they thankfully usually refrain from using the Ren and Stimpy expressions. That said, the background art in Ducktales 2017 is a huge drop off in quality from even Mickey. The colors and detail are as bland and basic as they can be. The original 1987 version blows it out of the water. The "flashy" character animation is also still present in Ducktales 2017.

8ceff200-f94f-11eb-9fb3-78de7ce2f8bf.cf.jpg

There was a lesser known series from 2018 called Legend of the Three Caballeros that had an IMO much better and more classic visual style than either Mickey or Ducktales. It unfortunately didn't get much attention, at least in English speaking regions. I don't know if the series was actually any good from a story standpoint, but it certainly looks and animates a heck of a lot better than the others...

three-caballeros-characters.jpg
I remember when episodes of Legend of The Three Caballeros first leaked onto Youtube during the Summer of 2018. The series was first discovered from a Tumbler blog that posted screenshots from an overseas Disney App which quickly gained a ton of attention. The series even gained a fanbase overnight after the episodes leaked before Disney took them down at a later date. I remember really liking the series but the production behind it was very secretive.

I even created a thread giving awareness to the series before the episodes were leaked back in June 2018.

In a Ducktales podcast, Tony Anselmo said that this was his favorite performance as Donald Duck compared to the DT reboot.

_caleb

Seems this thread got a little off topic, so I started a thread in the Disney Movies, Animation, TV, and Disney+ forum to talk about the art direction, style, and writing of the current World of Mickey shorts.

@donaldtoo, @LittleBuford, @Elijah Abrams, @Pancho, @Inspired Figment, @DisneyHead123, @Skywise, and anyone else who might be interested, I’d love talk more about which Mickey design is the best (and why it’s the Paul Rudish one) over here:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

1410131189.jpg

Don't forget the "I Just Got Off A 3-Day Bender" Goofy look. ;)

As for The Imagineering Story covering the flaws in DCA - Well, it's "rescue" puts a certain former-CEO-now-CEO-again in a positive light. Even though he also oversaw the Pixar overlay as well, which arguably detracted a lot from the previous iteration that was fairly well done.

lazyboy97o

As for The Imagineering Story covering the flaws in DCA - Well, it's "rescue" puts a certain former-CEO-now-CEO-again in a positive light. Even though he also oversaw the Pixar overlay as well, which arguably detracted a lot from the previous iteration that was fairly well done.
Other events are also ignored, distorted or not presented chronologically to make said CEO look better.

Magic Crush Drop

Maybe off topic, but it speaks to a larger problem that shows in everything Disney does these days. Profit used to be the result of going above and beyond in every part of the Walt Disney company. Now, it’s not the result…..it’s the entire focus. And it shows.
Most of the conversation was about the quality of the shorts themselves and didn't really talk about the corporate side of the company.

Anyways, what's you guys' thoughts on whether Iger is going to complete his task in 2 years?

CaptainAmerica

1410131189.jpg

BPF42J.0.jpg

_caleb

Most of the conversation was about the quality of the shorts themselves and didn't really talk about the corporate side of the company.

Anyways, what's you guys' thoughts on whether Iger is going to complete his task in 2 years?
By "his task," do you mean "choosing a (better) successor?" Because I think he's already well into that.

But if you mean "righting the ship," I'm not sure we've seen anything yet.

I think his recent attempts to calm investors and reassure customers/fans needs to be followed up with a grand gesture or two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom